Houston In The 1980s

Subdude

I see you mentioned monkey's hill. In the 80s we had a Monkey Hills that was the drainage ditch at the north end of the horse pasture between Bellaire and Beechnut. We'd jump our bikes across the ditch. Same place?

I, too, remember walking to Horn Elementary. My folks never gave a second thought about my walking home form there.

oh man, thinking about it, I remember many summer evenings playing in that landfill between cook and kirkwood, not to mention having b.b.gun wars across the drainage ditch that eventually filters in to braes bayou.

do either of those things these days you'd be going to some juvenile detention or something.

Aside from losing an eye in the b.b.gun fights (which I grew back because of the toxic stuff in the landfil) I think it was a positive experience overall.

Edited by samagon

oh man, thinking about it, I remember many summer evenings playing in that landfill between cook and kirkwood, not to mention having b.b.gun wars across the drainage ditch that eventually filters in to braes bayou.

do either of those things these days you'd be going to some juvenile detention or something.

Aside from losing an eye in the b.b.gun fights (which I grew back because of the toxic stuff in the landfil) I think it was a positive experience overall.

Heh, I lived out that way at one point, as well. Never played in the landfill, but I would drive past it quite often on the way home from football practice at Elsik.

Houston in the 80s was a GREAT place to live. More than anything specific it had a lower population plus the mentality of people was generally with a positive outlook on things and less hostility. I suppose that is true for all of our culture in the nation. These days people get into an arms race with giant SUVs with tinted windows for privacy and as soon as they get home to their planned community and the garage door drops behind them they are completely isolated from the world. There is some kind of anti-social pathology in the aggregate with this "me me me" egomania and self indulgence.

Back in the 80s Houston was more of a traditional southern town where people really did say "howdy" to complete strangers and if you made eye contact with a stranger randomly they were more apt to say hello or at least nod instead of looking away in fear or due to anti-social mental disorder.

Downtown was in ruins for the most part and the idea of lofts and urban living was not the in thing. We did have Houston House and the Savoy was still open but people were still flocking to suburbia. I would say we had at least 40% fewer cars on the road and people were much more friendly on the roadways. Prior to the late 1980s expansion of the SW freeway I think we had only 3 lanes going in each direction but it still worked.

Something just went wrong in the 90s and what was traditional Houston culture was lost. It was not exactly like carpetbaggers who came to the south after the civil war and altered it but to some extent it was.

The best things about the 80s I can recall:

1. That lights lasers show in downtown

2. Sharpstown mall before it declined hard

3. Kiddies Wonderland was still around

4. Astroworld was cheap and nice

5. The Origional X-mas store

6. Houston Zoo was free and not all corporate littered like now

7. JSC NASA was free and focused on science instead of being a playground; you could drive up to rocket park in your own car!

8. Woolworth downtown as stil a true 5 and dime store

9. Marvin Zindler was at the top of his game (plus The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas added to his fame)

10. METRO seemed to just conduct public transit business instead of being a front for deep corruption, illegal deals, and leaders with phoney diplomas/qualifications.

As a bonus....I don't think the director of the YMCA Houston took home about 60% of all income they generated back in the 80s like he does now.

The "good ole boy" days in Houston seem mild compared to what is normal these days.

• Like 2

Sam's Boat on Richmond

I find it interesting that so many people listed this. When reporter Dan Garcia left KHOU to become news director in Wichita Falls we had his going away party here. I had no idea it had so much sentimental value to the people of Houston. Yet another thing about the bayou city that I didn't appreciate when I lived there.

There was another boat restaurant on South Main not far from the Shamrock. It was mainly seafood, of course.

Downtown was in ruins for the most part and the idea of lofts and urban living was not the in thing. We did have Houston House and the Savoy was still open but people were still flocking to suburbia. I would say we had at least 40% fewer cars on the road and people were much more friendly on the roadways. Prior to the late 1980s expansion of the SW freeway I think we had only 3 lanes going in each direction but it still worked.

I think Houston was known for horrendous traffic early on since the population had grown faster than the infrastructure could keep up. After the bust people used to say that one benefit was that traffic slacked off.

Downtown was indeed a different and not so nice place. The Savoy, Lamar, Holiday Inn, Whitehall, Sheraton and Texas State hotels all closed down. The entire Lamar Hotel block was demolished and left as surface parking. The Rice Hotel was decrepit, boarded up, and smelled like urine. Something like a dozen skyscraper projects were canceled. The east side of downtown was a sea of surface lots, and what is now Midtown was largely vacant except for some somewhat shady operations in some of the old houses.

All that said, it did seem like a fun place to live at the time. As others have mentioned, there seemed to be something of a "we're all in this together" attitude.

• Like 2

There was another boat restaurant on South Main not far from the Shamrock. It was mainly seafood, of course.

I think Houston was known for horrendous traffic early on since the population had grown faster than the infrastructure could keep up. After the bust people used to say that one benefit was that traffic slacked off.

Downtown was indeed a different and not so nice place. The Savoy, Lamar, Holiday Inn, Whitehall, Sheraton and Texas State hotels all closed down. The entire Lamar Hotel block was demolished and left as surface parking. The Rice Hotel was decrepit, boarded up, and smelled like urine. Something like a dozen skyscraper projects were canceled. The east side of downtown was a sea of surface lots, and what is now Midtown was largely vacant except for some somewhat shady operations in some of the old houses.

All that said, it did seem like a fun place to live at the time. As others have mentioned, there seemed to be something of a "we're all in this together" attitude.

In addition to the slacking off of traffic (Houston actually lost population in the mid to late 80s), the huge number of freeway construction projects begun in the early 80s in a desparate attempt to lessen the gridlock on nearly every freeway began to come online. For instance, the Hardy and North and West Sam Houston toll roads were opened in the late 80s, and the widening of I-45 was also completed, making travel in north Houston almost pleasant for a few years.

In addition to the slacking off of traffic (Houston actually lost population in the mid to late 80s), the huge number of freeway construction projects begun in the early 80s in a desparate attempt to lessen the gridlock on nearly every freeway began to come online. For instance, the Hardy and North and West Sam Houston toll roads were opened in the late 80s, and the widening of I-45 was also completed, making travel in north Houston almost pleasant for a few years.

Shows my age I suppose, but I still think of the Hardy Toll Road as being new. Before it was built it was hellacious getting to the airport. It was basically a bet as to whether traffic would be worse on 45 North or 59 North.

and what is now Midtown was largely vacant except for some somewhat shady operations in some of the old houses.

I remember in the late 80s and early 90s having to go to the old Boy Scouts Sam Houston Area Council office that was in midtown, the landscape has changed so much down there. What always stood out in my mind were the huge old trees that were in the yards of those old worn out houses. There's still a few of the big old trees still there, but most have been razzed along with the old houses that they shared lots with.

In no particular order:

1. Cooters

2. Ocean Club

3. Club Proteus

4. Yucatan Liquor Stand

5. Astros 1986 Pennant (& specifically the Mike Scott clinching no-hitter)

6. Club 6400

7. Fizz

8. Confetti

9. Piranha Room/Roxy/R&R Bar.... i.e. every bar at this location in the 80s.

10. Metropole

11. Rick's Caberet

That was quick.. and sorry... needed 11..... considering Rick's was such a standout during the 80s......could probably come up with another 10....

The original location of Capt. Benny's was at Main @ Holcombe, caddy-corner from the Shamrock. It was a real shrimp boat with a door cut in the side and a horshoe-shaped bar and cooler inside and not much else, very limited menu, too, according to my brother, who went often. Later moved down to the Greenbriar location.

Benny was an oyster shucker at Bill Williams who opened his own place when BW closed. See the posts including the quotes from vonroach in this thread.

Speaking of seafood restaurants in the 80's, what was the name of the one at the southwest corner of W Gray and Woodhead? Pier One currently occupies the site.

It was a white stucco building with a nautical Streamline theme - lots of stainless steel and neon. Someone had recently completed a very nice renovation when it burned to the ground, circa 1986. Among the improvements was a NOS tile floor found in a rural hardware store basement.

I salvaged one of the exterior lighting fixtures, which appears to be an authentic ship light; the casting states it was manufactured in Houston.

Speaking of seafood restaurants in the 80's, what was the name of the one at the southwest corner of W Gray and Woodhead? Pier One currently occupies the site.

It was a white stucco building with a nautical Streamline theme - lots of stainless steel and neon. Someone had recently completed a very nice renovation when it burned to the ground, circa 1986. Among the improvements was a NOS tile floor found in a rural hardware store basement.

I salvaged one of the exterior lighting fixtures, which appears to be an authentic ship light; the casting states it was manufactured in Houston.

That was Captain Johns. The building dated from 1940 and was originally the Golden Girl restaurant. It became Captain Johns in 1944. It closed in the 1970s but was remodeled and reopened in 1982. The fire was in 1985.

Any more questions, just ask! :D

These pics just reinforce my beef about the completely ass-backwards nature of so-called preservation in this city.

Rather than Sue Lovell and friends jack-booting homeowners, why aren't we focusing our collective efforts on commercial and industrial structures-- all over the city? Because the city lacks the wherewithal to do the hard work of raising funds or interest to do so. It's easier to push it off on the small guys, the non-investor homeowners, and claim we're preserving 'neighborhoods,' than to tackle much more expensive, useful and visible sites.

Edited by crunchtastic
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

1. astroworld (working and playing in the park)

2. astrodome (mom dropping me off with 5 bucks for astros games)

3. parker pool during summer

4. riding bikes from Missouri City down Chimney Rock to Braes Bayou (and back)

5. Godfathers pizza on Fondren after football games

6. Westbury National Little League (70's really)

7. Getting on the roof at Westbury HS after school was out to find handballs

8. Walking to and from school (Andy Anderson) across Chimney Rock

9. Crawdad fishing on rainy days along Chimney Rock

10. Meyerland Plaza

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

yeah... if the walls of the recently closed Lucky Village at Westheimer and Fountain View could talk, they would blow your mind... :)

1) the completion of many west side roads, ie, Wilcrest, Dairy Ashford

2) Cardi's

3) the explosive growth of Ft Bend County

4) Backstage

5) the Axiom

6) Judy's! I had forgotten about that place! My friends Carmen and Angela used to drag me there with them all the time

7) Dream Merchant!!! I bought most of the tools that lead to the wreckage that has become my life there- and I wouldn't change a thing!

8) Rockers, Struts, Corners, and the other rock clubs whose names I don't remember because they kinda mattered but really didn't!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Oooh, yeah, the Axiom! My husband played there with Necrotic Void!

Numbers, hanging out at KPFT during Musical Curfew with Jay Lee, meeting Oingo Boingo in the parking lot at the Tower before Elfman became Danny Hollywood, the Island, dancing on the roof above the marquee at the River Oaks Theater staff party, going to Marfreless and not seeing a baby stroller....

• 1 month later...

I can't think of anything in Houston that was "cool" in the 80's. I think that it pretty much sucked during that time.

Well, there was that All-you-can-eat Steak place out by Sharpstown Mall. What the hell was it called?

One of the all you can eat steak houses in Sharpstown was called "Billy Outlaw's" I sadly worked there for about 2 years while in High School.

other cool places in the 80's:

1) Rocksey (across from where Tootsies was in the Highland Village shopping area

2) driving south on US-59 and seeing nothing but fields past Sugar Creek. No developement at HWY6 and US59 at that time.

One of the all you can eat steak houses in Sharpstown was called "Billy Outlaw's" I sadly worked there for about 2 years while in High School.

other cool places in the 80's:

1) Rocksey (across from where Tootsies was in the Highland Village shopping area

2) driving south on US-59 and seeing nothing but fields past Sugar Creek. No developement at HWY6 and US59 at that time.

1) They had an elaborate colorful light display over the dance floor. That place was quite popular. It was before Highland Village became 'upscale'.

2) I remember going to a party at some apartments out where the West Belt is now. The host took us out back where there was a big muddy field, and explained that one day the West Belt would go through there. It seemed odd since there wasn't much around.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

as a child of the 80's and 90's in Houston...i remember quite a lot of my childhood and a lot of places or events

in no particular order...

1. Rendez-vous Houston- who could forget that overcast night, but the beauty of the fireworks and lazer show. then the maddening traffic getting back to home along the freeways. I remember we didn't get home till almost 4:00 A.M.!!

2. Godfather's Pizza on Gessner @ Hammerly. always packed full of families enjoying pizza every day!

3. Levitz Furniture on I-10- Family bought every stick of furniture from that place for many years till they closed the store.

4. Hurricane Chantal AND Jerry of 1989- both storms kept me out of Horne Elementary for 2 days each. And both storms caused street flooding in the Jersey Acres neighborhood where i lived and ALL the neighborhood kids were riding our bikes thru the flood waters and our parents didn't care! we were out of the house out of their hair and having FUN and getting dirty!!

5. Deep Freeze/Snow of December 1989- as a kid worrying that we couldn't get to Beaumont for Christmas cuz the roads were still iced over in places. but it gave MOST Houstonians a free day off from work/school etc. although, those that did have to work, you have my ultimate respect and kudos! that was a horrible week in weather! but still cool. :)

6. Pancho's Mexican Buffet- my dad was the manager of the one on Longpoint for a few years from 85 to about 88-ish, till he hurt his back on the job and they screwed him over with workers comp. and my mom managed the small video rental place next door to it (Movie World). so i had free food and free movies during my childhood!! YAYYY!!

7. Computer Craft stores- bought our first Apple IIe from them and it was totally awesome (for the time). also i remember the TV commercials during that time...wish i could see them again.

8. Memorial City Mall- The Floppy Wizard, Fame City (later on), Monkey Wards and Whataburger in that tiny corner of the mall off of Wards...ahhh the memories. and that big ass fountain in the center that seemed to shoot up to the sun!!

9. Safeway Stores- NOT Appletree!! we always shopped at 2 Safeways. the one in Brookhollow shopping center off of 290, and then one on Gessner @ Hammerly before they remodeled the shopping center and moved it to the location where Kroger stands in the same center today.

10. Champs Buffet- the one around Mangum/Dacoma and the one off of I-10 by Service Merchandise.

10 and 1/2. Service Merchandise- Yeah, it was my first job in 1996 but as a kid i wanted to ride that conveyor belt...and i finally did my first day working there. When i transferred to the Baytown store i had to ride it UP and DOWN since it was a 2 level store...wasn't so pleasing that time! LOL