Letting Bayous Be Bayous

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/main/6486933.html

This article appeared on the Chron site on the 18th of June, but didn't make the print version until the 21st. It discusses how Kevin Shanley pitched ideas for beautification of area bayous when Flood Control projects were undertaken, notably the Sims Bayou project.

A few years back the Buffalo Bayou Partnership proposed something like that for Buffalo Bayou; ie restoring some of the natural meandering of the bayou. One idea was to remove the cloverleaf intersection at Memorial and Waugh to allow more space for bayou overflow (that area was once a park and would have retained floodwater).

Amazing to think that the Army Corps of Engineers once wanted to channelize Buffalo Bayou like was done to Brays.

A few years back the Buffalo Bayou Partnership proposed something like that for Buffalo Bayou; ie restoring some of the natural meandering of the bayou. One idea was to remove the cloverleaf intersection at Memorial and Waugh to allow more space for bayou overflow (that area was once a park and would have retained floodwater).

Here's a photo of what they eventually want to do with Buffalo Bayou. It shows the cloverleaf at Memorial and Waugh being replaced with a conventional diamond interchange.

masterplantopimage_lg.jpg

Very cool, but I would be really surprised if it ever came to pass.

Me too. Much of their plans call for totally eliminating some roads and bridges such as the Franklin Street bridge and demolishing buildings. I imagine there would be much opposition to those plans.

Me too. Much of their plans call for totally eliminating some roads and bridges such as the Franklin Street bridge and demolishing buildings. I imagine there would be much opposition to those plans.

There are specific projects that are planned and executed by the BBP on a one-off basis and that are indicated as a part of the master plan shown above, but the master plan itself represents a vision and not the precise schematics drawn up by a licensed engineer. Nor is the master plan something that is condoned or actively supported by the City of Houston or other governmental jurisdictions. It is important that the BBP engage in the visioning process because that's the best tool that they have to sell to prospective donors.

Archived