WestMont: Mixed-Use Development Coming To Montrose

groovehouse

Spec's is coming to Montrose!! Montrose and Westheimer next to Half Price Books in the shopping center on the corner to be exact. The space has stood empty for a while. Recently I walked past the unoccupied location and noticed a wall of coolers had been installed, my first thought was grocery store, but today on my way home, a sign company had plastered a paper layout on the wall so that they could install the electrical part of a new sign, I drove by slowly and barely made out the name of the infamous Rabbit's home!! Spec's Liquor Warehouse.

Let's get our drinks on Montrose!

:)

• Like 1

It is my hope that they will push their food selection as opposed to their spirits and beer. The other specs is close enough where spirits and wines should be to take care of that. However, a high end deli would suit the community quite well.

Ricco

• Like 1

Our neighbor says that it will be a Copperfield Liquor store, not Spec's. Are you sure it's Spec's?

I'm almost positive the sign said Spec's. It was an outline drawing of the sign, I was on Westheimer, but I'm pretty sure I could make out S-P-E-C on the first part, didn't look much like C-O-P-P-E-R

found this in another forum

It was originally a Copperfield, but Spec's changed it once the deal went through. I wouldn't get too excited though -- word is the selection is going to suck, and they will go for the $20 and less wines. Why, I have no idea.
  • Like 1

If this is so, it probably spells doom for that liquor store that opened last year at Commonwealth & Westheimer. Probably won't do Fairway (on Fairview) much good, either...

At any rate, Spec's seems like a good neighbor. They treat their employees well, and therefore the employees treat the customers well. I think they'll be a welcome addition.

• Like 1

there will be a specs's at west./montrose, not a copperfields. also the store will be more of a closeout center for overstock items. i don't see it as having a large deli section if it has one at all.

• Like 1

Well, they would be total fools if they don't include at least a moderately sized deli.

The area is ripe for one like that. While Krogers has a good selection, there needs to be more of a selection than what Randall's and Kroger's has to offer.

Ricco

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Dang, I keep posting before finished with my messages...

Anyway, does anyone know of any upcoming developments at Westheimer and Montrose? Seems like that intersection has a lot of potential, but there's still too much of an undesirable element for whatever reason. Just the day before yesterday I was walking in front of the Hollywood video and saw 2, not 1, guys urinating on the front of the buildling at the same time, and there was a shirtless homeless guy sleeping in the front area. After passing by I saw some pretty monstrous looking townhomes being constructed near the SE corner there... Talk about contrast

Is it any better around there than it was 5 years ago?

Edited by OkieEric
  • Like 1

Dang, I keep posting before finished with my messages...

Anyway, does anyone know of any upcoming developments at Westheimer and Montrose? Seems like that intersection has a lot of potential, but there's still too much of an undesirable element for whatever reason. Just the day before yesterday I was walking in front of the Hollywood video and saw 2, not 1, guys urinating on the front of the buildling at the same time, and there was a shirtless homeless guy sleeping in the front area. After passing by I saw some pretty monstrous looking townhomes being constructed near the SE corner there... Talk about contrast

Is it any better around there than it was 5 years ago?

Yeah the townhomes weren't there.

Another insightful post there, MM.

Actually, The Montrose has seen some changes over the past couple of years in it's various phases. There are times when the homeless kids disappear altogether while often times they love hanging out by that ministry building.

It's perhaps it just depends on which kids are there, but I've seen a couple of them deal drugs.

I think as more development happens there, it's quite possible that they business owners in the area will probably pool their resources and hire a constable or two to patrol their just those immediate 4 blocks.

Another insightful post there, MM.

Actually, The Montrose has seen some changes over the past couple of years in it's various phases. There are times when the homeless kids disappear altogether while often times they love hanging out by that ministry building.

It's perhaps it just depends on which kids are there, but I've seen a couple of them deal drugs.

I think as more development happens there, it's quite possible that they business owners in the area will probably pool their resources and hire a constable or two to patrol their just those immediate 4 blocks.

I'd really like to something a little more interesting done with that grimey Blockbuster Video shopping center...and Hollywood Video, of course. Surely there's a better use for it than as a toilet.. The best part was it I walked back a little while later I had to watch my step

Is that ministry building back behind the hollywood video complex? I've been to mo mong's a couple of times and have noticed a lot of people milling about back there

good post.

i hate the way hollywood doesn't use the entrance on westheimer. it's a real downer to look into that big dark space and see pools of liquid in various stages of putrefaction, plus of course the odd vagrant taking a siesta. if they used that entrance, it would take care of the vagrant problem (at that location at least), plus really open the shop up to pedestrian traffic. but the way the parking lot which serves that location is set up, people would have to walk ten yards further to get in the store after parking their cars. this being houston, the car wins every time.

plus, what's the deal with the diner opposite (the one that says "Eat Here". I used to eat in there after a night on the tiles many moons ago, but it's been completely dead for several years. Any plans for redevelopment there?

plus, what's the deal with the diner opposite (the one that says "Eat Here". I used to eat in there after a night on the tiles many moons ago, but it's been completely dead for several years. Any plans for redevelopment there?

It's a lesbian bar....they had a fire a while back - that's why they are remodeling...

The Ministry building is the fenced in area on montrose across from The Blockbuster. From what is discussed on another thread around here, that is slated for demolition.

Unfortunately, that homeless shelter for kids is a necessary evil for the area. It's just a pity they can't be more supervised or heavily patrolled to keep them from getting into mischief. But I've rarely seen them wander more than a couple of blocks into the neighborhoods (mostly hang out by that median at Commonwealth and Lovett) or hand out on westheimer proper..

The Ministry building is the fenced in area on montrose across from The Blockbuster. From what is discussed on another thread around here, that is slated for demolition.

Unfortunately, that homeless shelter for kids is a necessary evil for the area. It's just a pity they can't be more supervised or heavily patrolled to keep them from getting into mischief. But I've rarely seen them wander more than a couple of blocks into the neighborhoods (mostly hang out by that median at Commonwealth and Lovett) or hand out on westheimer proper..

Hmmm...yeah, I'll be glad to see it go, but hopefully they can find somewhere for these people. Regardless, hopefully it's removal will help clean that area up. I live in a different part of Montrose, but when I think of the neighborhood I almost always think of that intersection and assume that others must as well. Maybe I should just engrain another area into my mind :)

covenant house provides a good service for those who want to use it - i *think* they have a curfew, so if the kids don't get in by a certain time, they're stuck on the street. the thing is, these kids want to be on the streets, and covenant house provides a good location - stop by and get a meal, then loiter and buy/sell afterward.

across the way used to be Charlie's diner - open 24 hours, interesting place. it was incorporated into the bars on both sides.

Down the street a bit, at Montrose and W. Alabama, there is a drug rehab facility that doesn't keep a tight grip on its patients. The teenaged son of a friend of mine just spent time there, and he pretty much came and went as he pleased. Why the facility would allow this is beyond me. Another bad mark for the neighborhood.