HAIF - Houston's original social media

My fiancee and I just started our home search in the Heights and we both love the Norhill Heights area. We were surprised at the asking price for some 2/1 bungalows. We are looking for a 2/1 bungalow with a garage, on a good street, for less than 275k. Our ideal street is Cottage Street.

Is this unrealistic? Looking through HAR - that seems to be the case.

We haven't found a realtor yet, so if there are any recommendations for one that knows this area - we'd appreciate it!

My fiancee and I just started our home search in the Heights and we both love the Norhill Heights area. We were surprised at the asking price for some 2/1 bungalows. We are looking for a 2/1 bungalow with a garage, on a good street, for less than 275k. Our ideal street is Cottage Street.

Is this unrealistic? Looking through HAR - that seems to be the case.

We haven't found a realtor yet, so if there are any recommendations for one that knows this area - we'd appreciate it!

Here are a few that are located on Cottage. It looks like the first one already has an offer and is outside your price range, but it's good for comparison. Go to HAR and enter the MLS #'s.

Here are others in the vicinity.

Like you mentioned, if you find a decent realtor, he/she can pull up a complete set of listings for your criteria...

Here are a few that are located on Cottage. It looks like the first one already has an offer and is outside your price range, but it's good for comparison. Go to HAR and enter the MLS #'s.

Like you mentioned, if you find a decent realtor, he/she can pull up a complete set of listings for your criteria...

realtor: John and Brenda Erickson with Suzanne Anderson. They live in and know the Heights. John has been my realtor on three home sales/purchases. 713-864-4012

My 1200 sq ft 2/1 bungalow in Woodland Heights, on a 5000 sq ft lot, with garage, was just appraised for $295k for a refinance, and I got the full-on cavity search from the appraiser (due to the new appraisal rules).

I would think $260k is the absolute lowest you will find for a 2/1 in Norhill. Go Below that price and you are going to be looking a myriad of needed upgrades that will quickly blow whatever money you thought you were saving. Woodland Heights will be slightly (5%) higher. In the Houston Heights, most 2/1 bungalows that are left will be on larger lots and thus more expensive. Sunset Heights is the cheapest but there are almost zero land use rules, so you could easily end up with townhomes next door.

In Norhill especially be aware of the quick-turn remodels...some are OK, some are not.

Edited by cwrm4

My 1200 sq ft 2/1 bungalow in Woodland Heights, on a 5000 sq ft lot, with garage, was just appraised for $295k for a refinance, and I got the full-on cavity search from the appraiser (due to the new appraisal rules).

I would think $260k is the absolute lowest you will find for a 2/1 in Norhill. Go Below that price and you are going to be looking a myriad of needed upgrades that will quickly blow whatever money you thought you were saving. Woodland Heights will be slightly (5%) higher. In the Houston Heights, most 2/1 bungalows that are left will be on larger lots and thus more expensive. Sunset Heights is the cheapest but there are almost zero land use rules, so you could easily end up with townhomes next door.

In Norhill especially be aware of the quick-turn remodels...some are OK, some are not.

mnicholls, welcome to HAIF!

cwrm4 has much more skinny than I. However, my sense is that 275k is going to lock you out of much of Norhill. You may want to look at Brookesmith. Best of luck in your search, and have fun with it.

Thanks for the quick responses all!

cwrm4: You pretty much identified why Norhill Heights appeals to us, since there are established land use rules and a lack of new construction. We have time to wait for something to come on the market, but are open to expanding our search to other areas.

I've found this website to be very helpful in our home search and also being aware of everything going on in town. So thanks to the Admin/Owner!

I live on Melwood, as my username implies. Melwood is 2 streets away from Cottage, so I know the neighborhood pretty well - most of these houses that the links show are on/near busy streets and should be avoided in my opinion. In particular, avoid the one on Studewood. If possible, avoid anything on Michaux which is a north/south street that gets some traffic, though nothing like Studewood.

Having said that, the link to HAR # 10881743 (915 Cottage) looks like a solid candidate - it is several houses in off of Michaux, and a short walk to Proctor Plaza - should you lose your sanity and have children at some point, this is an invaluable resource and a nice park - our kids play there all the time.

You may have to shop a little bit, but I think your price range is realistic.

Actually, many of the blocks in Sunset Heights and East Sunset Heights have now established minimum lot size and minimum building line protection. I have just petitioned for it on E. 25th in East Sunset Heights with 80+% buy in by neighbors.

HCAD will have a showing of them somewhere.

Our first house was a couple of doors down from Michaux in the Woodland Heights and it wasn't that bad trafficwise except for the primary commute-to-work times. After people go to work, it really quieted down a lot and same for in the evening. Weekends seemed fairly quiet too. Although Michaux is often used as a cut-through to get to Norhill, its still pretty much a street used by residents of the area. My biggest gripe about Michaux were those random cars that had their stereo too loud or were going too fast. But they certainly weren't the norm and can probably happen on any street.

Thanks for the advice!

We're still early in our search so things are subject to change. My fiancee and I are still negotiating the 1 bathroom topic and whether that's enough space. We might be increasing our price range to give us some more options. It's already a learning experience, but a fun one.