Cy-Fair ISD Makes Drastic Cuts To Bus Service

sweetbasil

I heard rumors of this last week, but dismissed them as over the top. Apparently not. Wow- I bet CyFair ISD phone lines are ringing off the hook!

http://www.cfisd.net...ce%20letter.pdf

Well this was bound to happen. I am glad the district had the courage to do something that will raise eyebrows. I am sure people will complain-possibly some of the same ones who said the district needed to be more budget-conscious.

They've already cut out the unique compensation plan to pay teachers for professional development. This equates to a pay cut of between $250 and $450 a year starting next year. It's only fair to affect everyone.

On a side note, while many districts await the decision about using stimulus money for pay raises, Katy ISD has released their 2009-2010 salary schedule which presumptively includes the stimulus money (they gave a 3% raise to all teachers). Either they know something others do not or they are willing to take the heat when they tell teachers they are NOT getting the raise that their website states.

Houston ISD already has two miles as a limit (to both neighborhood and magnet schools, according to distance from the student's house to the campus by roads) under most circumstances. We (the people of the Houston area) need to encourage more children and their parents/guardians to walk, or to put more of the burden of transportation on the parents/guardians.

EDIT: I must reiterate that I am in favor of magnet school busing over long distances; but I am also in favor of forcing people who live close to school to walk or to take a bicycle. Let's reserve the buses for student commuting long distances and students with disabilities.

Free bus for kids less than two miles from school? I've never heard of any school district doing that. If they do that, they shouldn't.

Yeah, I agree. I wonder how much of an impact that will actually make. I wonder how many kids we are actually talking about, especially considering how many major thoroughfares have to be crossed for kids to get to school in Cy-Fair ISD.

• 5 weeks later...

Well this was bound to happen. I am glad the district had the courage to do something that will raise eyebrows. I am sure people will complain-possibly some of the same ones who said the district needed to be more budget-conscious.

They've already cut out the unique compensation plan to pay teachers for professional development. This equates to a pay cut of between $250 and $450 a year starting next year. It's only fair to affect everyone.

On a side note, while many districts await the decision about using stimulus money for pay raises, Katy ISD has released their 2009-2010 salary schedule which presumptively includes the stimulus money (they gave a 3% raise to all teachers). Either they know something others do not or they are willing to take the heat when they tell teachers they are NOT getting the raise that their website states.

To be clear, Cy-Fair ISD teachers are not getting raises and have not gotten a pay raise in the last three years. All teachers & librarians statewide will get a one-time (up tp ) 1,000 increase for the 209-2010 school year but that's not an actual pay increase that will stay.

And no one should be taking the "stimulus money". That's money (as a result from hard work) forcibly taken from American workers. It's unethical. Are we really advocating taing the fruit of one's labor and giving to......anyone else? Sounds unfair to me.

The cutting of the bus routes is simply a ruse by Superintendent Dr. Anthony to inflame parents to get them to vote to remove the homestead tax exemption that he so desperately wanted to remove in July.

And no one should be taking the "stimulus money". That's money (as a result from hard work) forcibly taken from American workers. It's unethical. Are we really advocating taing the fruit of one's labor and giving to......anyone else? Sounds unfair to me.

It was only forcibly taken from unpatriotic Americans who are unwilling to sacrifice for the good of the country. Sounds fair to me.

• The title was changed to Cy-Fair ISD Makes Drastic Cuts To Bus Service

Archived