Two Houston places in top 100 geekiest

Wired magazine (Really? It's still in publication? I thought it was dead) recently published an article: 100 Geeky Places to Take Your Kids This Summer.

Houston gets two mentions:

37. Houston Museum of Natural Science

88. Space Center Houston

Anyone have any additions?

I nominate the observatory at Brazos Bend, and one of those free NASA star parties held down at Challenger Memorial Park. Both are great places to spend an evening and leave feeling thoughtful.

By naming the George Observatory you have technically named a satellite facility of the Houston Museum of Natural Science :D but who's counting? And I agree, its great.

Others: The Big Red Button behind Wortham, Sculpturworx on Summer St to see the big President heads. I concede that these are not quite as geeky as HMNS or the Space Center.

Edit: I forgot, the button is now green.

By naming the George Observatory you have technically named a satellite facility of the Houston Museum of Natural Science :D but who's counting? And I agree, its great.

Others: The Big Red Button behind Wortham, Sculpturworx on Summer St to see the big President heads. I concede that these are not quite as geeky as HMNS or the Space Center.

Edit: I forgot, the button is now green.

What is the red/green button?

What is the red/green button?

On Preston Street behind Wortham Center, the bridge over the bayou has 4 towers. Inside the tower closest to Wortham is a button. Press the button and you will hear a giant flushing sound coming from Wortham, then look down at the bayou to the right and you'll see a big bunch of bubbles and water come shooting out of the middle of the bayou. Try and hit a kayaker. http://www.houstonpr...-secret-198218/

The Button is on a 60 second timeout, so you'll have to wait the full minute before the button will work again.

On Preston Street behind Wortham Center, the bridge over the bayou has 4 towers. Inside the tower closest to Wortham is a button. Press the button and you will hear a giant flushing sound coming from Wortham, then look down at the bayou to the right and you'll see a big bunch of bubbles and water come shooting out of the middle of the bayou. Try and hit a kayaker. http://www.houstonpr...-secret-198218/

The Button is on a 60 second timeout, so you'll have to wait the full minute before the button will work again.

THANKS so much for that info/ link. My dh and I spent a weekend downtown in March and walked down there after a play at the Alley. My dh kept seeing this "bubbling" happen and was very curious about it. He even made me take some pictures. We never would have known the answer if it wasn't for this post. I learn so many cool things about my hometown from this board! I've lived here all my life (except college) and I love reading here about all this obscure stuff.

Archived