Willow Waterhole Greenspace Conservancy At 5300 Dryad Dr.

I live in the dreaded Fondren Southwest area.. and have been checking out these streets I pass all the time around there..

a couple of weeks ago.. west on South Willow off S Post Oak.. turned onto this street called Clematis.. it dead ended onto Gasmer and this rather large pond/lake(?) or extremely huge mud puddle goes along Gasmer at Clematis. Wondering if anyone knows what the heck this is? My husband took these.

TerryatgiantpondClematisatGasmer-2.jpg

largepondClematisatGasmer-2.jpg

largepondClematisatGasmer.jpg

TerryatgiantpondClematisandGasmer.jpg

• Like 1

Clematis? Gasmer? Who comes up with these street names?

really.. I like Canemont and Fairmont closer to me.. lots of funky old houses closer to me. There are houses around this huge mud puddle or pond or whatever it is.

• Like 1

Clematis? Gasmer? Who comes up with these street names?

Clematis is a very beautiful flower and I think it's a fine name for a street. Check them out at http://clematis.org/

I have no idea where the name Gasmer comes from. I'm guessing it was probably the name of someone involved in the development of Westbury back in the 50s. Residential developers have the privilege of naming their streets.

In my neighborhood in Copperfield, the developer was apparently a movie and TV buff. The streets are named after actors. We have Hudson Oaks, Chamberlain, Garner Crest, Hamil Wood, Saxon Court, Hayward Court, Mason Ridge, Landon Oaks, Gable Point and, brace yourself, oh my god, here it comes, grit your teeth, are you ready? -- Shatner Wood.

Edited by FilioScotia
  • Like 1

I think this is the "Willow Waterhole", a large detention pond that was built shortly after Tropical Storm Allison. It is part of the massive project to help minimize flooding in the neighborhoods along Brays Bayou.

You are correct. It is a small part of the Willow Waterhole project. It is part of a joint Harris County Flood Control District and federally funded flood control project for the Brays Bayou watershed. Eventually, the almost the entire area south of Gasmer, west of Post Oak and north of main, and east of Chimney Rock will be excavated to provide flood control storage. In addition, there is discussion of putting an extreme event flow conveyance pipe from Brays Bayou under Chimney Rock to the ultimate Willow Waterhole detention site. This will serve to reduce peak flows in Brays Bayou before they reach the Medical Center.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

I'm moving in to Post Oak Manor next month and I had been very concerned about whats going on just behind the neighborhood...then I ran across this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/images/statusicon/wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 960x768 and weights 88KB.http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/LS1stGen/WillowWaterholeDetention.jpg

I think this is great, and I really hope it creates a natural barrier between Main and the new tollroads to the south. Does anyone know what the current project status is?

Also, any useful info about Post Oak Manor and Willowbrook / WillowBend would be great.

Does Post Oak Manor have an active Civic club?

Thanks

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I noticed when I drove by a few weeks ago that they are currently working on the Willow water hole phase 3 just east of South Post Oak. there is a Project Brays sign up, and dirt seems to be moving around. I intended to go back and take some photos, but forgot about it.

willowwaterhole.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This is a great addition to an already amazing project that has transformed Brays bayou into a series of retention pond parks, to help reduce flooding.

Here is a link to the overall project. This was a great solution to a very serious problem and it shows what can be done when different groups get together to work out problems.

I applaud this.

projectbrays.org/index.asp

• Like 4

Thats the whole idea. It is built in a retention pond that will hold flood waters when Brays Bayou is about to go over its banks. If you look at the Brays project overview you will see that they have built four or five retention pond parks that will hold millions of cubic yards of water to keep Brays from going out of its banks.

So yes, it is definitely in the flood zone intentionally.

If you read the article it states that the  stage will be built on columns off of the ground.

Just like Bear Creek Park and George Bush park which are also designed to hold back water that would flood Buffalo Bayou. They all go under water for a short time during torrential rains.

Thats the beauty of this plan. They took unused land close to Brays. Created these spaces with two different uses.

Its a win win!

• Like 7

• 1 year later...

Completion now scheduled for 2019.

http://houston.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=9633&MeetingID=184

The City and Houston First Corporation (HFC) previously entered into a Lease Agreement approved by City Ordinance No. 2011-390, passed on June 1, 2011, and effective as of June 9, 2011, pursuant to which the City has leased certain land and improvements and delegated certain duties to HFC.  This Supplemental Agreement to the Lease Agreement describes the maintenance and funding obligations that HFC has agreed to undertake on behalf of the City with respect to the Levitt Pavilion, which will be constructed, operated and maintained at Willow Waterhole by the Friends of Levitt Houston (Levitt Houston) pursuant to a separate agreement (Levitt Agreement).

Under the Levitt Agreement, the City will be responsible for certain capital repair costs during the first fifteen years of operation of the Levitt Pavilion, and HFC will fund these obligations on the City’s behalf, subject to certain limitations and conditions.  The responsibility of HFC for these obligations will begin on January 1 of the year immediately following completion of construction of the Levitt Pavilion and will end on the expiration of that fifteen-year period.  HFC has committed to budgeting up to $100,000.00 per year for the first 10 years of operation of the Levitt Pavilion, for a maximum amount of $1,000,000.00, that can be drawn on by Levitt Houston for authorized capital costs.  HFC’s funding obligations are limited to authorized capital costs totaling no more than $500,000.00 in any twelve-month period, and no more than $1,000,000.00 in total, during the first 15 years of operation of the Levitt Pavilion.  The responsibility of HFC for these obligations will begin on January 1 of the year immediately following completion of construction of the Levitt Pavilion and will end on the expiration of that fifteen-year period.  If the full amount of the HFC’s annual funding commitment of $100,000.00 is not expended in any twelve-month period, the unexpended funds can, at the option of Levitt Houston, carry over to any subsequent twelve-month periods, or be paid to Levitt Houston to reimburse funds spent in excess of the annual commitment amount in any prior twelve-month period. If there are any funds remaining at the end of the first fifteen years of operation, the City, HFC, and Levitt Houston will negotiate in good faith as to the expenditure of those funds.  In exchange for HFC’s funding commitment, Levitt Houston will designate one voting seat on its Board of Directors that will be reserved for appointment by HFC during the term of the Supplemental Agreement.

The Administration recommends that City Council approve this ordinance authorizing the Supplemental Agreement to the Lease Agreement between the City and HFC relating to HFC’s commitment of funds for authorized capital costs related to the Levitt Pavilion.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Shell property addition to Willow Waterhole takes critical steps forward

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/2019/10/31/shell-property-addition-to-willow-waterhole-takes-critical-steps-forward

After a six-year process, plans to construct a new 13-acre detention pond in Westbury took critical steps forward in late October.

“What I would say to the people of Westbury and those who have been here a long time is, don’t sell. Don’t leave. Stay because steps are being taken to make the area a lot more resilient and a lot more sustainable,” Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said.

Houston City Council approved the $3.4 purchase of a former Shell Oil Co. facility to serve as the site for the new detention basin on Oct. 16 and Mayor Sylvester Turner closed the sale with Shell executive Keith Probyn at a ceremonial signing Oct. 31. The property is adjacent to a park and network of detention basins known collectively as the Willow Waterhole, just southwest of the I-610 Loop.

As a part of the sale contract, the city of Houston will lease the site back to Shell while it clears out the property over the next 16 to 18 months. Over that time period, Houston Public Works will conduct engineering studies and draw up a formal proposal for the detention basin to be presented to both Houston City Council and the Harris County Flood Control District, Public Works Director Carol Haddock said.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

With new site identified, fundraising efforts for Levitt Pavilion at Willow Waterhole are underway

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/development/2020/03/23/with-new-site-identified-fundraising-efforts-for-levitt-pavilion-at-willow-waterhole-are-underway/

The Friends of Levitt Pavilion Houston organization has raised 40% of a $100,000 goal toward preconstruction work for a new community performance space that could begin construction in 2022.

The targeted land is an approximate 28-acre plot adjacent to a network of detention basins known collectively as the Willow Waterhole, just southwest of Loop 610, at 5300 Dryad Drive, Houston.

The city of Houston purchased the land—a former Shell Oil Co. facility—in October 2019 for $3.4 million to serve as the site for a new detention basin.

Levitt Pavilion Houston would take up 15 acres of that plot, which includes 3 acres for the pavilion space and bowl for 5,000 attendees to congregate, plus parking, according to preliminary plans, though those could change as the project moves forward. The group is coordinating with the Levitt Foundation, which encourages the creation of large public performance venues throughout the US by repurposing obsolete or neglected outdoor spaces.

Friends of Levitt Pavilion Houston has started a Founder’s Circle for pre-construction work, which includes rendering, formulating a budget, master planning and for marketing and consultant costs, with a $1,200 minimum commitment, according to chairman Howard Sacks.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Willow Waterhole Greenspace Conservancy
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Willow Waterhole Bayou stormwater detention basin project set to begin construction

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/government/2020/07/01/willow-waterhole-bayou-stormwater-detention-basin-project-set-to-begin-construction/

Construction is set to begin on a stormwater detention basin at Willow Waterhole Bayou upstream of South Post Oak Road to reduce the risk of flooding within the vicinity of the basin, according to a June 29 news release from Harris County Flood Control District.

Harris County Commissioners Court gave the green light for the project June 9. Survey and prep activities are already underway with an expected completion date in three months, according to the release.

The project will cost about $1.3 million, paid for through the flood control district’s capital funds, according to a spokesperson from the flood control district.

CQajVbl.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Houston City Council OKs new detention basin near Willow Waterhole

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/environment/2020/09/02/houston-city-council-oks-new-detention-basin-near-willow-waterhole/

The Spellman Detention Basin detention basin in the Westbury neighborhood will be the latest addition to a series of flood mitigation efforts in the area.

On Sept. 2, Houston City Council approved the purchase of a $1.4 million tract of land at the 6400 block of West Bellfort Avenue for the project, which will add 208 acre-feet of detention and help mitigate the risk of flooding in the surrounding neighborhoods.

“For the people who have flooded several times, this is a long-awaited project,” said Martha Castex-Tatum, vice mayor pro tem and the council member representing the area.

The project comes after the city reached an $3.4 million deal to buy a former Shell Oil Co. property in October 2019 for use as a 13-acre detention pond. Both projects are adjacent to a park and network of detention basins known collectively as the Willow Waterhole, just southwest of the I-610 Loop.
7UAbAv2.png

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Willow Waterhole Greenspace Conservancy announces MusicFest return in 2021

On Oct. 30, the Willow Waterhole Greenway will play host to a one-day festival featuring live music and Halloween-themed activities, the conservancy announced Sept. 19.

From 11 a.m.-7 p.m., patrons can enjoy the free festival, which will include a lineup of 57 musicians, student-school musicians, a Haunted House Maze, Trunk or Treat and Mortals & Dogs costume contests.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/parks-recreation/2021/09/22/willow-waterhole-greenspace-conservancy-announces-musicfest-return-in-2021/