Has anyone ever painted stairs before? About two years ago, I stripped and stained my staircase (which had carpet) a dark cherry color. I liked it at first but because my condo is so small - the dark stain makes it look even smaller. I am thinkinking of painting the beams and the stairs white...but my worry is would there be obvious signs of wear if I paint it white? Also if I change my mind how hard would it be to strip the paint off and re-stain? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

To get a baby smooth finish on the beams, follow these steps. Use a paintable wood filler to repair any imperfections in the beams - found at most hardware or paint stores. Sand first with a 120 grit sandpaper, then a 220 grit. Use a blue painters tape to prevent paint from getting on any ajacent material. Next use an interior oil based primer and prime everything that is to be painted. Put a flashlight up to the beams for a check on any bad spots. If the light creates shadows, the trouble spots should be repaired. If you really want it smooth, apply an automotive bondo with cream hardner to any imperfections. Then do a final sanding with 220 grit. You can then apply your first coat of enamel - semi gloss or gloss are more durable than satin or eggshell paints. If there are still any trouble spots, do one more application of bondo and resand with 220 grit. Finally, apply your last coat of enamel. One note on enamel paints, they need to be mixed with 10% laquer thinner so that there will not be brush marks.

You will not be able to undo the paint once it is applied.

To get a baby smooth finish on the beams, follow these steps. Use a paintable wood filler to repair any imperfections in the beams - found at most hardware or paint stores. Sand first with a 120 grit sandpaper, then a 220 grit. Use a blue painters tape to prevent paint from getting on any ajacent material. Next use an interior oil based primer and prime everything that is to be painted. Put a flashlight up to the beams for a check on any bad spots. If the light creates shadows, the trouble spots should be repaired. If you really want it smooth, apply an automotive bondo with cream hardner to any imperfections. Then do a final sanding with 220 grit. You can then apply your first coat of enamel - semi gloss or gloss are more durable than satin or eggshell paints. If there are still any trouble spots, do one more application of bondo and resand with 220 grit. Finally, apply your last coat of enamel. One note on enamel paints, they need to be mixed with 10% laquer thinner so that there will not be brush marks.

You will not be able to undo the paint once it is applied.

Thanks so much for your reply! Ok so what do you think about painting stairs?? Is that going to look horrible in the long run?

Thanks.

Really slick huh? Nope no kids....but no railing either, that along with the fact Im uber clumsy might be kinda dagnerous LOL ...I just hate how dark the condo is now....Im really tempted to paint it all white. I think the only thing holding me back is that I have never really seen painted stairs before and am worried that it will look really cheesy and that the paint will start peeling. Thanks for your input.

post-8694-1248444112114_thumb.jpg

post-8694-124844412066_thumb.jpg

post-8694-12484441276408_thumb.jpg

Looking at those pics you posted I have to agree with you. Painting both the stairs and those beams would probably lighten the place up quite a bit. Certainly paint won't hold up forever on the stairs but if you prime them and use an acrylic latex you shouldn't have any problem touching up every now and then. 

Looking at those pics you posted I have to agree with you. Painting both the stairs and those beams would probably lighten the place up quite a bit. Certainly paint won't hold up forever on the stairs but if you prime them and use an acrylic latex you shouldn't have any problem touching up every now and then.

Some people have been trying to talk me out of it but I really think it would make the room much brighter. Awesomeness. So obviously a primer and then acrylic latex paint? I was going to buy that outdoors paint that you use to paint decks with and like 5 million gallons of varnish??LOL

Really slick huh? Nope no kids....but no railing either, that along with the fact Im uber clumsy might be kinda dagnerous LOL ...I just hate how dark the condo is now....Im really tempted to paint it all white. I think the only thing holding me back is that I have never really seen painted stairs before and am worried that it will look really cheesy and that the paint will start peeling. Thanks for your input.

It doesn't have to look cheezy. Painted stairs are actually very common. Google images of painted stairs to see hundreds of examples...some good, some not. If you are worried about slickness, you can apply non-skid tape to the stairs after painting them. And you can cut the tape in a design that adds to the look, so that the non-skid is not cheezy. For instance, you could cut it in an elongated oval, or apply 2 or 3 very skinny strips, whatever suits your fancy. You can also find them in different colors. And, remember, you do not have to paint the entire staircase one color. You can paint the treads a different color than the stringers.

Just a personal opinion, but I don't think painting that staircase will look bad at all.

Some people have been trying to talk me out of it but I really think it would make the room much brighter. Awesomeness. So obviously a primer and then acrylic latex paint? I was going to buy that outdoors paint that you use to paint decks with and like 5 million gallons of varnish??LOL

That's how I would do it but having never actually painted stairs before maybe you should go to a paint store and consult with the experts. They might have a better recommendation.  And I like Red Scare's idea of using contrasting colors. 

That's how I would do it but having never actually painted stairs before maybe you should go to a paint store and consult with the experts. They might have a better recommendation.  And I like Red Scare's idea of using contrasting colors. 

I think it looks nice as is. Wouldn't it lighten the place up to take those dark blinds off the door?

Thank you everyone for your input!!! I googled some images...none of them look like my stairs so Im trying to visualize LOL....But think Im going to go ahead and paint the stairs and beams...and good idea, I will probablly change the blinds...I want to change everything in my condo. Im going to paint my walls a very light lavender- which Im uber excited about because I would not have been able to do that before lol. Once Im done I'll post some pics.

looks like a code violation to me...

Paint them and you'll regret it later.

You can't "undo" paint. You can try. You can labor for hours and hours and weeks and weeks... cursing yourself: "Why did I ever do this?!" You may eventually get it all off...

Putting paint on a surface that will wear (under foot) is a mistake. Even heavy duty porch paint eventually wears off, looks terrible... and then the only solution is more porch paint.

But before the paint wears off, you'll start to see wear spots first. These will be light brown patches of dirty smudge marks, one patch on each step, showing the traffic pattern. As sure as the sun rises, these will show against the once bright white color of your stairs...

Archived