Garden Oaks Information & Developments

editor

• 1 year later...

www.har.com/885022

I've driven by it and looked at it a few times. I'd probably offer quite a bit less than the ask (I know what it was listed at last year when the current owner bought it.)

I know, I know... what are my criteria blah blah blah...

I'll probably go see the place one of these days...

it sits back from 43rd... the garage is on the side street... but, yeah... and i didn't notice the lack of central A/C (not that i couldn't get that done.)

i passed on it before, so...

It has central a/c but must not be vented properly and they use room units for auxillary a/c.

Also, was it orginally built as a split level or was that an addition?

It is a cool house with unique design but the HVAC is too big a factor. Besides, they are asking way too much.

I saw this house on har.com that I thought was worth touring just to see what the design was all about. The water feature looks like a nightmare to maintain. The expense of running a pool year round plus the odor of treated water would probably be major problems. If you can live with that then there is potential here. This house must have been cutting edge stuff when it was new.

http://tinyurl.com/yqgrcc

I saw this house on har.com that I thought was worth touring just to see what the design was all about. The water feature looks like a nightmare to maintain. The expense of running a pool year round plus the odor of treated water would probably be major problems. If you can live with that then there is potential here. This house must have been cutting edge stuff when it was new.

that was the Mod of the Month recently...here's the topic:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=1186

as for the Garden Oaks home...

looks nice - prairie-esque even. i would venture to say the addition is not original. not sure what's up with the window units. and the price is a little much, imo.

It is a cool house with unique design but the HVAC is too big a factor. Besides, they are asking way too much.

Maintaining is a major issue. I would like to have more water features at my house. Just maintaining my trees is so expensive. I know how to do alot of things,but I am only 5'3 and I have to hire people to do this

My wife and I recently bought a house in Garden Oaks on West 43rd St. We mainly bought on West 43rd because it was in our price range, and we love the house.

Once you move off W 43rd to Sue Barnett, 42nd, 41st, etc., the prices jump up. Since we moved in, we have noticed tons of houses on W 43rd going on the market, but that's just a sign of the times. The real estate market is completely different from when we bought in February (Everybody with fixed rate say "YEAH!").

We really like the area. It is a busy street, but unless your sitting in the front yard, the road noise isn't bad, you hardly notice it in the back yard.

Due to the layout and setback of the house, I doubt road noise would be much of an issue. I live in GO also. I think the driveway on Sue Barnett is a big plus. I have heard it is a pretty nice house inside - is it? Is there much of a back yard of is most of it in the front. I think the asking price is fairly close to what it sold for a year or two ago, but am not positive. I don't think it is a bad price; the a/c would be the biggest drawback to me, as well as possible resale in the future due to being on 43rd. But again, the driveway on Sue Barnett offsets the issue of getting out of your driveway in peak traffic times.

• 1 year later...

Howdy folks!

I am looking for a rental property in the Heights, Oak forest or Garden Oaks area. I have looked on HAR, craigslist and all the usual places. Thought maybe someone on HAIF would know of a hidden jewel! We have 2 dogs so the place would have to be pet friendly.

We currently live off washington and things are just getting a little too ridiculous over here.

Thanks for your help!

Howdy folks!

I am looking for a rental property in the Heights, Oak forest or Garden Oaks area. I have looked on HAR, craigslist and all the usual places. Thought maybe someone on HAIF would know of a hidden jewel! We have 2 dogs so the place would have to be pet friendly. Thanks folks!

I saw a for lease sign up on E 25th St just west of N. Main. I know nothing about it other than it looks to be the size you are looking for and has a fenced yard. In the Heights, alot of the rental homes don't post anywhere and just rent by signs. Or they post, but not where you happen to be looking. Best to drive or cycle around.

Agree with Emme. For our rental we just posted a sign in the front and had lots of people driving by picking up the info sheet. Had it posted on Craigslist and the Chron as well, but most of the interest was from people driving around the area looking for signs.

Definitely cruise around, not only because not all leasers post online, but because the address doesn't always tell you the story since here in Houston you can go from sweet to nasty in just a couple houses down.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, these places are across from Mister Car Wash! Clean car, great shopping opportunities in the lobby, what more could you want? Besides look at those fine finishes inside. I'm really glad to see a builder bring back the dressing-room-style vanity lights. Mrs. Porchman has frequently commented how much she loves them because they cast such a flattering blaze.

That is funny when you guys say it was in bad side of shepherd...shepherd and all of shady acres was always the bad part and now you see all these yuppies in that neighborhood. Same thing with Washington...I mean "Washington Corridor..." lol

That is funny when you guys say it was in bad side of shepherd...shepherd and all of shady acres was always the bad part and now you see all these yuppies in that neighborhood. Same thing with Washington...I mean "Washington Corridor..." lol

The comment was "the wrong side". It's not on Garden Oaks side. Although, Garden Oaks Sec I is on that side of Shepherd. However this is on the wrong side of the tracks...compared to that.biggrin.gif

I would not live there due to the sketchy neighborhood. Personally I don't think that particular area will gentrified. My two cents.

The houses are being built upon a dilapidated flea market.

I don't think it matters.

There are about a half dozen "Contemporary"-brand townhome developments all around Houston, they're all in sketchy neighborhoods with perhaps 10 to 20 years worth of transitioning left ahead of them, and yet somehow they've been successful enough in the marketplace to warrant more and more of them. There's also one on the South Loop near Scott or Cullen, and some off of Stella Link that are just south of the loop and abutted by really crappy apartments. Some of these townhomes are so densely-packed that they even have a tandem(!) garage.

Capital markets have yet to thaw, however, so there's no doubt going to be a constraint on this developer's ability to maintain that product line, going forward.

• 3 weeks later...

We recently had a new addition to the family, and our 2/1 is beginning to feel a little cramped. I check HAR several times a week looking for homes for sale in the Oak Forest/Garden Oaks area, and they seem to be selling like hot cakes.

We love the area, and would ideally like to remain here, but what we're looking for (at least 3 beds, 2 baths, 1 car garage, larger lot with room for a pool) certainly limits our selections in the area. We also love the proximity to TC Jester park, shopping, the Galleria, and Downtown. Schools will obviously be an issue in the near future as well.

Can anyone suggest other close-in neighborhoods which have homes of this vintage (40/50/60's) which offer the ameneties we're looking for?

We're looking to stay under $300K.

You can occasionally find something like what you are looking for in Timbergrove or Lazybrook. The houses in Timbergrove South of 11th, east of TC Jester are the most likely candidates, but will still be rare. There are a few areas in Spring Branch that will meet your criteria as well, but you ahve to look around and do your research on the specific neighborhoods.

You can occasionally find something like what you are looking for in Timbergrove or Lazybrook. The houses in Timbergrove South of 11th, east of TC Jester are the most likely candidates, but will still be rare. There are a few areas in Spring Branch that will meet your criteria as well, but you ahve to look around and do your research on the specific neighborhoods.

I second Lazybrook and Timbergrove - both nice neighborhoods. Maybe Shepherd Forest? You can find 3 bed/2 bath there.

Archived