Continental's CEO Larry Kellner Is Gone

sheeats

Jeff Smisek is his replacement.

Larry was a suitable replacement for Gordon Bethune, who turned the company around. More of a numbers guy than Gordon, a bit drier and more serious, but a great leader. Smisek has big shoes to fill, but he has been groomed for this.

Anyone want to start the rampant speculation as to why he left and who's up next? :D

You asked for rampant speculation, so here it is: the writing is on the wall that United will declare bankruptcy next year and be forced to merge with Continental. That will require a massive private equity investment (which could be very profitable, btw), and who better to lead and assemble that PE firm than the former CEO of Continental? That gives both investors and Wall Street a sense of credibility - that they might actually pull it off without destroying each other in the process. It would create the largest airline in the world. The question is can we find a way to keep the HQ here instead of Chicago?

You asked for rampant speculation, so here it is: the writing is on the wall that United will declare bankruptcy next year and be forced to merge with Continental. That will require a massive private equity investment (which could be very profitable, btw), and who better to lead and assemble that PE firm than the former CEO of Continental? That gives both investors and Wall Street a sense of credibility - that they might actually pull it off without destroying each other in the process. It would create the largest airline in the world. The question is can we find a way to keep the HQ here instead of Chicago?

Now THAT is the kind of rampant speculation I'm talking about, people! Tory has it all figured out. :lol:

I do not think a merger with United is at all in the works. Talking with Kellner and Smisek and listening to the board of directors, they unanimously oppose a merger with UA.

I think it was simply time for Larry to leave. CO has had some good years and things are starting to decline, namely profits, and I think Larry wanted to get out while he still had a good reputation.

I do think United will go bankrupt but instead of a merger, Continental will go after the assets and locations. My guess is that they'll try to grab some of UA's planes and parts of the LAX, ORD (O'Hare) and IAD hubs. They will have to fight AA for O'Hare and that's where Smisek comes in, he's a much harder hitting kind of guy and not as "nice" as Kellner.

Archived