Houston Downtown Panorama - 525 megapixel

customminds

Sweet.

This is actually taken from the north building of Mosaic. From the angles of various rooflines, I'd guess that it was from somewhere between around the 10th floor, give or take a few. Too bad you couldn't get onto the penthouse level or up on the roof.

Sweet.

This is actually taken from the north building of Mosaic. From the angles of various rooflines, I'd guess that it was from somewhere between around the 10th floor, give or take a few. Too bad you couldn't get onto the penthouse level or up on the roof.

Thanks TheNiche!

Actually it was taken at one of the top floors. next time i'll aim down a bit for you! ;-)

i think it came out odd because i was using the 135mm and it has a bit of a zoom. when looking out the window, everything feels much closer.

Highway

between 25 and 30 21mp images. i tried to add a bit of overlay on each photo.

Porch

Very good question. I might have to write that one off to the blending from adobe photoshop. each photo was a 20 second shutter, so its also possible that they had something red in their apartment. i'll try and peek later when i bust out the camera again. Maybe they are having a wild party (was on a saturday night)

I've tried night panoramas before and failed miserably.... That you did this with that many photos at night just blows my mind. Was each shot taken at the same exposure and aperture despite how it metered ?

Thanks again Highway. In truth I think I lucked out a bit.

This was the second night I tried it. The first I missed a thin slice in the middle of the screen (have no idea how) and i could not just take the photo again the next night. light looked different even though i used the same settings.

so i redid all the photos over again (same settings for each photo)

100 iso

9 f stop

20 sec shutter

i left the white balance on auto, then converted all images to the same modification afterwards.

Thats how I've messed up in the past then... tried to get each shot to meter the same instead of actually exposed at the same settings.

Thanks for the lesson and look forward to you posting more of your stuff.

Awesome! Thanks!

Oh, and it looks like that tower thingy at Memorial and Studemont is already topped out here! Sweet!

Thank you everyone again!

Sweet! Thanks for sharing. Did you use a gigapan? What camera body did you use?

flipper

did not use Gigapan, used Zoomifyer EZ v3.1.

The camera is the 1dsm3 (21mp)

I had it mounted for the shots.

I just took another look at this, and at more than just downtown, Almeda, and 288. I zoomed in to the maximum extent and panned from the Galleria area all the way to the ship channel refineries. In my mind, the most interesting and abstracted urban form presented here are actually the industrial lights that shine in warehouse and manufacturing districts that are to the right of the downtown skyline. All these multi-colored orbs are just trippy as hell, and of course the refineries are always cool to look at. It'd be awesome if you could pull this off on a clear day from the top of the fmr. Bank One building in Pasadena or somewhere else that's elevated like that.

Thanks again everyone!!

The Niche - I'll try to get this for you on the next go around!

Kinkaid - The medical center is on the other side of the building. I'll try and see if they will let me on the roof this weekend or next. maybe I can get one for you. :-)

Remarkably, I was driving down 288 around the very time that you took to the first two photos, and was myself taking photos of the fireworks with downtown in the background at the very same moment that you were on July 4th, just from a different angle.

You ought to try zooming in on the fireworks, giving them about a 0.5- to 1.0-second exposure, and giving the tripod a slight tap as you press the button. I guarantee a nice result.

Great pic! .

I have always loved the view of downtown from the Museum District/Hermann Park area. The substantial skyline rises dramaticly from the green landscape on the ground - impressive even without including the landmark towers on the west side of downtown. This is a great vantage to understand the true breadth and size of downtown.

Archived