The Greening of Metro

METRO IMPLEMENTS CHANGES TO REDUCE ENERGY, WATER CONSUMPTION

METRO’s energy-saving strategy is expected to save the agency - and taxpayers -thousands of dollars per year.

Long before the current heat wave hit Houston, METRO was already implementing the following initiatives, among many others, to reduce its energy footprint and water consumption:

· Monitoring and tracking utility consumption at each facility

· Closely reviewing utility invoices to identify errors such as overcharges

· Retrofitting old lighting systems with newer, more efficient ones

· Adjusting temperature settings at facilities

· Recycling water used to wash its bus fleet

· Watering lawns and landscaping areas on an as needed basis

· Reviewing sprinkler systems to detect and repair leaks

· Modifying water sprinkler system schedule

· Installation of occupancy sensors in offices and conference rooms to reduce energy use in unoccupied areas

The cost-saving initiatives are working. So far, METRO has reduced its water usage by more than 5 percent and its gas consumption by more than 7 percent.

METRO will continue to enforce and build on these cost-saving efforts. The agency is already working on a FY2010 plan that includes adopting the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Energy Star program as well as identifying other opportunities to trim its energy usage.

If Metro really wants to go green, it will retrain its bus drivers.

Dakota Lofts is right next to Metro's downtown bus staging area. The bus drivers can go and sit inside the building and do whatever it is that they do while waiting for the evening rush. But many of the drivers preferred to sit alone on their buses, and in the heat of Houston would leave their buses running all day long. Sometimes eight or ten buses would idle in that parking lot for five or six hours. It was the noise that really bothered me, but occasionally the fumes would blow in the window.

If Metro really wants to go green, it will retrain its bus drivers.

Dakota Lofts is right next to Metro's downtown bus staging area. The bus drivers can go and sit inside the building and do whatever it is that they do while waiting for the evening rush. But many of the drivers preferred to sit alone on their buses, and in the heat of Houston would leave their buses running all day long. Sometimes eight or ten buses would idle in that parking lot for five or six hours. It was the noise that really bothered me, but occasionally the fumes would blow in the window.

I'd agree for the most part, but then I thought it would take FOREVER for them to cool down properly and the driver would have to sit in there while it cools.

The thought occurred to me while I remembered while I was whining that it was taking FOREVER to cool down my car after it was sitting in the sun for only a couple of hours.

I'd agree for the most part, but then I thought it would take FOREVER for them to cool down properly and the driver would have to sit in there while it cools.

The thought occurred to me while I remembered while I was whining that it was taking FOREVER to cool down my car after it was sitting in the sun for only a couple of hours.

The air conditioners on the buses are pretty robust. It would make sense that they'd be able to cool down a bus much faster than the air conditioner in your car since they have to fight against air-leaking doors that are constantly opening and closing. And even if it took a while for the buses to cool down, it doesn't take five hours for a bus to cool down.

How about covering the waiting area so the sun doesn't beat down on the buses, requiring less time to cool them?

That would make sense. Though it's a pretty big area to cover. About three city blocks.

Actually, Kylejack is right. That's the place. But that photo was taken when there's no buses there so you can't really get a sense of how many heads and tails are hanging out.

Either way... fumes... fumes... fumes... even on pollution alert days.

Actually, Kylejack is right. That's the place. But that photo was taken when there's no buses there so you can't really get a sense of how many heads and tails are hanging out.

Either way... fumes... fumes... fumes... even on pollution alert days.

Any chance they have made changes in the procedure in the ____ years since you lived in the area?

Archived