Products you've found that REALLY work!

flipper

Let's use this thread to help each other out and post products that we've found that live up to their claims. Maybe we can keep the "that sucks, I like this better" to a minimum. Posting any tricks to using it and where you buy it might be helpful too.

Ok, my first two:

prod_kitchen_3.jpg

Weimans stainless steel cleaner and polish. Notice the can. I do not like the wipes. I have found that if I spray a small amount on a soft folded cloth and go slowly with the grain of the stainless steel, the results are great. You can buy it at most grocery stores.

ST-IG-19-L.png

Stoner's Invisible Glass glass cleaner. Works so much better than windex etc. I like to use it with crumpled newspaper to clean windows/glass. Available at most home centers and car parts places.

flipper

For my landscape projects, I have always used Osmocote, which you can find at Lowe's and Home Depot. I mulch my beds twice per year, and apply this before I mulch, and whenever I install a new plant. It's isn't organic, but it also isn't Miracle Grow (which is nothing more than a Snickers bar for your plants). It is slow release, and is easy to apply, which means it's easy for the average time-pressed homeowner.

Osmocote%20outdoor%20and%20indoor.jpg

Tsubo shoes. They're tight when you first get them, but within two weeks mold to the shape of your feet. Really high quality, good looking, and I've had pairs last more than three years of daily use.

Flipper, agreed on the Invisible Glass. You can get it in a non-aerosol pump spray bottle, too.

LunaticFringe, agreed on the Jack Black. LOL, and that doesn't happen that often for me on the interwebs. Guess I'm a tough audience.

Here's my favorite:

0000_Plexus_Plastic_Cleaner-Protectant_and_Polish_--.jpg

When used with a microfiber cloth (NOT a paper towel) it's very good for cleaning soft clear plastic like motorcycle windshields, car gauges, etc. It's also a good polish for car interior wood and smells nice. It will even polish out small scratches and swirls. I called around to some boat places in the area, but eventually had to get it online. Lots of boat, aviation, and motorcycle accessory dealers sell it online.

Along the lines of what marmer suggested:

303protectant.jpg

This stuff is incredible on car interiors. Gives plastic a nice clean matte finish just like when the car was new. I don't want to sound like an infomercial but it is truly amazing. Available on amazon, or at west marine stores.

flipper

ps. use a microfiber cloth.

How can this topic get eight replies and zero views? Must be a forum glitch.

Not a glitch at all. Topic view totals are updated every three hours or so. If topic views were updated in real time it would require so much server power that it would slow down the site.

303protectant.jpg

This stuff is incredible on car interiors. Gives plastic a nice clean matte finish just like when the car was new. I don't want to sound like an infomercial but it is truly amazing. Available on amazon, or at west marine stores.

flipper

Not weirdly shiny like Armor All, I hope? I won't let Armor All anywhere near my car. I hate that stuff. If 303 is that much better I'll have to try it.

I was skeptical at first, but the product below surprised me by how well it worked.

No really, if we're doing cleaning type products... I've always liked Goo Gone... though I noticed this past weekend that it was no longer available in Home Depot. I don't know yet if the replacement product I bought works as well at removing the sticky residue from my windshield caused by the velcro that was holding up my radar detector until it recently lost its ongoing battle with the 100 degree heat.

toilet-llqq-001.jpg

Not weirdly shiny like Armor All, I hope? I won't let Armor All anywhere near my car. I hate that stuff. If 303 is that much better I'll have to try it.

No shine, I promise.

flipper

No really, if we're doing cleaning type products... I've always liked Goo Gone... though I noticed this past weekend that it was no longer available in Home Depot. I don't know yet if the replacement product I bought works as well at removing the sticky residue from my windshield caused by the velcro that was holding up my radar detector until it recently lost its ongoing battle with the 100 degree heat.

toilet-llqq-001.jpg

Can't you still get it at the grocery store? Goo Gone is one of my favorites, too.

I was skeptical at first, but the product below surprised me by how well it worked.

For removing adhesives, Goo Gone is definitely the best. For greasy or grimy stuff, I swear by Krud Kutter. Especially for pet owners that get sticky hairy build-up on the baseboards, it's the bomb.

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/62/bb/Krud_Kutter_KR40-resized200.jpg

uh, still learning the new photo upload.....apparently...

Nah, Goo Gone is better, easier to clean up, and smells better than WD-40. There are also better spray lubricants, LPS for one:

09-25900.gif

WD-40 attracts grit and doesn't last very long in my experience. I've been told more than once by locksmiths not to use it on keys and locks.

One caution about Gorilla Glue. They mention this in the instructions, but it's a big deal. It expands rather dramatically. Use less than you would of conventional glue or you will have a hard, ugly bulge of glue from the repair.

In B4 Billy Mays and or ShamWow guy!

I do love Oxiclean, seriously. Lots of kiddo stains that nothing else would get rid of went away after a soak in Oxiclean. I made a paste with it once, too, and it got some melted rubber junk up off my carpet.

I use WD-40 to get sticky stuff off, but you can't use it on everything. Works perfect on metals (stickers off of golf club shafts, etc.).

UrbaNerd, your avatar is nuts.

Don't use WD-40 on plastics or rubber, use silicone spray. Also, NEVER spray OFF in your car. It eats at clear plastic. Um, that's second hand info.

Crunch, should I call the Pine-Sol lady for your baseboards? Umm hmm.

Don't use WD-40 on plastics or rubber, use silicone spray. Also, NEVER spray OFF in your car. It eats at clear plastic. Um, that's second had info.

Crunch, should I call the Pine-Sol lady for your baseboards? Umm hmm.

My grandfather used to squirt WD40 on his elbows and tell kids if it helped loosen nuts and bolts, it would help his arthritis. I never knew if he was serious or not, but being a crazy old Sicilian, I figured he was.

I love the smell of Pine-Sol. I still use it to mop the tile and hose down the toilet.

And we only have two animals inside. :lol:

I read somewhere that the formula for Goo Gone was changed a year or two ago, and the new stuff is nowhere near as effective as the old formula. Apparently it smells quite different as well.

The quick way to tell is by looking at the color of the label on the back of the bottle - black label = old formula, white label = new formula. The only black label bottle I've seen anywhere since reading about this is the one under my sink, which I've had for several years.

303protectant.jpg

flipper

I LOVE this stuff. I use it on my tires, interior plastics, and the crazy body-cladding that makes up most of my XC70. It's matte, goes on like a charm, and isn't greasy.

Flipper, since you mentioned towels, I would like to recommend the best auto drying towel I have found: These Blue Perl towels are super absorbent and don't scratch. I use two per car, and wash them alone afterwards (so they don't pick up lint from other towels). WELL worth the money, and they last forever.

http://www.autopia-c...com/mf-204.html

autopia_2061_52932952

Arm & Hammer Deodorant. Unfortunately I think they have stopped making it. Target nor Walmart carry this anymore.

200.jpg

butt-paste.jpg

OH!!!! ....and Redscare SWEARS by this stuff. I don't know what he is using it for, but he said it works. I take him at his word.

I use WD-40 to get sticky stuff off, but you can't use it on everything. Works perfect on metals (stickers off of golf club shafts, etc.).

UrbaNerd, your avatar is nuts.

WD-40 is also great for getting crayon off walls and the various other places it mysteriously appears.

Archived