Houston Super Speedway On Highway 288

WestGrayGuy

• 10 months later...
Guest Plastic

In 2003 a company was announcing that theyw ere building a track out 288 for NASCAR.

It was supposed to open in 2005. That year has come and still no car track. Near Alvin it would have features all kinds of events including NASCAR. NASCAR didn't want anything to do with it for so reason. So the track has never gotten built.

Anyone know if they are planning to go one with the track or are building a new on?

I was in Las Vegas back in March during the same time as their NASCAR weekend (aka Mullet Weekend), traffic was so awful but hotels were booked, so may be good for Houston occupancy rates, but I hope NASCAR or Indy doesn't come here, the one in Ft Worth is enough

Just for clarification, the MSR is not a NASCAR venue, it is a road course and I don't think there will be big time racing there. But there will be public events there. This is needed in a city this big. Going to College Station for a track event isn't that great, but to have one in the city will do very good business. The Grand Prix of Houston was a CART race, but now that CART is floundering, I'm not sure it will be back, regradless, it won't be held at MSR but downtown.

I remember on FOX, Marc Berman said that CART or the Champ Cars, or whatever they are calling themselves, (not IRL) is going to come back to Houston, and do a temporary road course, but not in the streets of Downtown, but in the parking lot of Reliant Park. And the race would be at night.

If I can find a link, I'll post it.

I don't understand NASCAR, but I know that it's a money maker for its cities. When I lived in Charlotte, the NASCAR races would book all of the hotel rooms in a 2.5 hour radius around the city!

In addition, look at the competition for the NASCAR hall of fame. It's pretty intense.

I remember on FOX, Marc Berman said that CART or the Champ Cars, or whatever they are calling themselves, (not IRL) is going to come back to Houston, and do a temporary road course, but not in the streets of Downtown, but in the parking lot of Reliant Park. And the race would be at night.

If I can find a link, I'll post it.

Lame. If they do that, I will no longer go.

Yes its a done deal according to the chronicle. It will be in the reliant parking lot, but it would be ultra cool if the could race through the Astrodome! How about that, the first indoor/outdoor CART race! That would be so freaking awesome. And just to make it even more interesting, race through Reliant Stadium and the Convention center! Those three places are plenty big and wide enough for safe racing. Heck it they could race on the 90 degree truns and narrow downtown streets, they can race anywhere!

I understand why they would set up in a parking lot (ease of course setup , safety, cost and planning to shut down city streets), but it still pisses me off. Parking lot courses are so lame. Plus, I used to watch the race for free from the balcony of my office :P , so I'm not keen on now having to pay to watch the race. :(

RedScare = cheapskate

I was never a fan of NASCAR or races in general except for Grand Prixs going through a city because it just looked awesome.

Afte going to college in north Louisisana, I learn that true NASCAR fans really get into it. After hearing them explain it, it is much more involved and interesting than just going around in an oval. I guess it's just like any sport you don't understand; it's not interesting unless you know the rules and objectives.

Eventhough I'm still not a fan of NASCAR, everything I hear and read about what they do to the cities that host them in terms of economic impact is impressive. Just look at the Fort Worth track, there building hotels onsite and a whole resort complex there. It's big business. I think the group in Houston saw the possibilities. Also, having the track out in Brazoria County literally in the middle of nowhere would creat a great place for future development.

And there you have it. The real reason there will be no NASCAR track in Houston is.....Ft. Worth.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3319002

Seems NASCAR is controlled by 2 groups, who together own 29 of 36 races. Bruton Smith snagged a second race for his Ft. Worth track, dooming chances for a Houston track, since, if you don't have a race, investors walk away...quickly.

Interesting, that Houston TV numbers for NASCAR are way low. Houston's interest in racing runs more to the open wheel variety (real racing, in my opinion). Perhaps this is a credit to Houston's most accomplished racer, AJ Foyt. I think it may also be attributed to Houston's large international population.

You clearly didn't read the article. Two groups control virtually all of NASCAR. NO ONE gets a track unless these two groups want to put it there. So, Houston is no different than everyone else without connections to these two groups. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think Houston's fortunes rise or fall on the possibility of one stock car race per year in Brazoria County. Houston is already well known amongst fans of stock car racing and country music. The economic impact of one event per year in a metro area of 5.5 million wouldn't even register on the radar screen.

Thank God! I guess we really are more international/metropolitan/cultured, why else would we not be watching NASCAR! I'm glad we're a city that supports the higher technology open-wheel racing. There isn't a CART race in Dallas, but there are two NeckCAR races!

I agree with Redscare, this is something Houston should be proud of. We just need to get that road course done in Alvin.

NeckCAR :lol:

911, there actually is an IRL race at the Ft. Worth track (some would say that's the same thing as CART), but it is still oval racing, which bores me to tears.

What about a road course in Alvin? I don't think I've heard about that. I thought the only Brazoria County track on the boards was the NASCAR track.

• 8 months later...
Guest Plastic

We all remember The Houston Superspeedway Project. It was gonna be a NASCAR track out 288 not far from Alvin. Something went wrong and now a public reacetrack is there instead. DOes anybody know what went wrong.

Now Texas Motor SPeedway is the only big track in Texas. You think withthe Grand Prix of Houston in town this weekend they'd know that it's a good idea. I'd love a NASCAR track. There was supposed to be a convention center with it. We could hold all sorts of events down there.

Now with Houston SUperspeedway gone I hope there's a new idea for a track. Astroworld would be the perfet spot for one or a new amusement park. This would bring some big events and attentiont o Houston.

Nope, because Texas Speedway would have to give up one of it's races for Houston to be able to host a Nascar event, and the owners aren't gonna let that happen, so you are gonna have to make the 5 hour drive up north to chug beer, wave confederate flags and get your Cooter on ! YYYEEEEEEEEEEHHHHAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW ! ! ! ! ! !

Archived