Downtown Fountains

Sunstar

I've noticed that the fountains at Main Street Square haven't been working for quite some time. I know at one point they were doing some warranty work, but that should be done by now. I was watching Rocket's game on TNT and they did a break away shot of the fountains. National networks are finally starting to show shots of downtown during sporting events and it dissapoints me when things don't look there best. Anyone know what's going on?

About a dozen times in the last 3 or 4 weeks. I work downtown and like to walk by Main Street Square during my lunchbreak. I noticed the signs about the warranty work, but that was 3 weeks ago.

What day was it.  The fountains are offline a lot times on Thursdays for maintenance.  It gets them ready for Friday and Saturday.

I think that is just the joy of paying millions of dollars to the cheapest bidder...I work at 1000 Main and those things work about half the time. There is a "leak" of some sort here (if you go in and look down to the tunnels you can see that the floor is wet), I've heard the building is trying to blame the fountain...Also, they can't seem to get the timing or the alignment of the pumps right.

This past Sunday the fountains were operational. Remember, the fountains are there to impress visitors and people who go out at night in the city. The daily traffic of office workers have alread seen this fountain many times.

Having it worked on during the day is not a big deal.

• 8 years later...
  • The title was changed to Houston Photo: Main Street Square Fountains At Dusk
  • 5 months later...
44 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

So why are all the fountains downtown shut off? From Sesquicentennial Park to Tranquility Park, everything has been shut down for years. Even the Cotswold fountains are rarely turned on. 

I love the HAIF hyperbole.  Those are FAR from all of downtown's fountains.

But FWIW, I'm pretty sure the Sesquicentennial fountain was seriously damaged in Hurricane Harvey.  I have not been able to find any information about its future. 

I saw something recently about a plan to get the Cotswold fountains fixed; probably in the Downtown Management District meeting minutes.  Found it:  "HDMD formalized and executed an agreement with Houston First to repair and oversee the maintenance of the eleven (11) "Cotswold" fountains located on Prairie, Preston and Congress beginning on January 30. The maintenance and repair costs for the Cotswold fountains will be fully reimbursed by Houston First."

Tranquility Park - I've wondered about that too.  I've seen some speculation about them leaking in to the below-surface parking garages, but haven't verified that and haven't seen anything about a plan to fix them.  There is a proposed re-do of Tranquility Park included in the Theater District master plan, so perhaps they are just waiting for that to occur.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 12:00 PM, Houston19514 said:

I love the HAIF hyperbole.  Those are FAR from all of downtown's fountains.

It's only minor hyperbole.

It is a fact that the vast majority of downtown's fountains are dead.

Which ones are even still running?

• Market Square
  • Smith fountain
  • Heritage Park
  • Any others?

Every once in a very long while, a Cotswold fountain will turn on and run for a couple of weeks and then stop. 

In two years, I've seen the fountain at Houston Center running once. The water features at Discovery Green are inconsistent at best.

6 hours ago, editor said:

It's only minor hyperbole.

It is a fact that the vast majority of downtown's fountains are dead.

Which ones are even still running?

• Market Square
  • Smith fountain
  • Heritage Park
  • Any others?

Every once in a very long while, a Cotswold fountain will turn on and run for a couple of weeks and then stop. 

In two years, I've seen the fountain at Houston Center running once. The water features at Discovery Green are inconsistent at best.

I guess your mileage may vary.  ;-)  My experience at Discovery Green is, shall we say, not consistent with yours. Interestingly, I just checked their live webcam and both the splashpad and misttree water features are indeed running.

Likewise Houston Center. Their new fountain seems to be on every time I go by there.  In any event, there are a LOT to choose from.  I'll take a bike ride around soon to confirm which of these are still operating, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority are:

• Market Square 1 (as you mentioned)
  • Market Square (Cotswold #12)
  • Market Square (Cotswold #3)
  • Smith (as you mentioned)
  • Sam Houston Park Scanlan fountain
  • Sam Houston Park Neuhaus fountain (I presume one of these is what you were referencing by "Heritage Park")
  • Houston Center
  • Discovery Green Misttree
  • Discovery Green splash pad
  • Hermann Square
  • Main Street Square
  • Downtown Aquarium water table
  • Downtown Aquarium waterwall
  • Downtown Aquarium marlin fountain
  • Allen Center courtyard
  • 1100 Louisiana
  • Wells Fargo Plaza water wall
  • Humble Oil Building hotels
  • Root Memorial Square
  • Sisters of Charity Park
  • Christ Church Cathedral
  • Jones Hall
  • Hess Tower
  • KBR Tower - Cullen Center
  • Courthouse Square - Family Law Center
  • Green Street 1
  • Green Street 2
  • Green Street 3
  • Avenida Houston
  • Catalyst
  • Harmonica Man Park - Brazos and Pease
  • George Bush Monument
  • POST roof park
  • Cotswold #11 - Congress @ Main

NOT WORKING:

• Sesquicentennial Park
  • Tranquility Park
  • Cotswold #2, and 4-10  (as has been mentioned, these are being addressed)
Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

Since we now have a time limit on editing, I'm reposting my list of downtown fountains with some edits:

WORKING:

1. Market Square 1 (as you mentioned)
  2. Market Square (Cotswold #12)
  3. Market Square (Cotswold #3)
  4. Smith (as you mentioned)
  5. Sam Houston Park Scanlan fountain
  6. Sam Houston Park Neuhaus fountain (I presume one of these is what you were referencing by "Heritage Park")
  7. Houston Center
  8. Discovery Green Misttree
  9. Discovery Green splash pad
  10. Hermann Square
  11. Main Street Square 1
  12. Main Street Square 2
  13. Downtown Aquarium water table
  14. Downtown Aquarium waterwall
  15. Downtown Aquarium marlin fountain
  16. Allen Center courtyard
  17. 1100 Louisiana
  18. Humble Oil Building hotels
  19. Root Memorial Square
  20. Christ Church Cathedral
  21. Jones Hall
  22. Hess Tower
  23. Courthouse Square - Family Law Center
  24. Green Street 1
  25. Green Street 2
  26. Green Street 3
  27. Avenida Houston
  28. Catalyst
  29. Harmonica Man Park - Brazos and Pease
  30. George Bush Monument
  31. POST roof park
  32. Cotswold #11 - Congress @ Main

NOT WORKING:

1. Sesquicentennial Park
  2. Tranquility Park
  3. -   8.   Cotswold #2, and 4-10  (as has been mentioned, these are being addressed)
Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

Did a spin around downtown and have to do some more edits  (Reminder: this is in response to Editor's claim that "It is a fact that the vast majority of downtown's fountains are dead.")

WORKING:

6. Sam Houston Park Neuhaus fountain (I presume one of these is what you were referencing by "Heritage Park")
  7. Houston Center
  10. Hermann Square
  11. Main Street Square 1
  12. Main Street Square 2
  16. Allen Center courtyard
  17. 1100 Louisiana
  19. Root Memorial Square
  21. Jones Hall
  22. Hess Tower
  24. Green Street 1
  25. Green Street 2
  26. Green Street 3
  27. Avenida Houston
  28. Catalyst
  30. George Bush Monument
  31. POST roof park
  33. Cotswold #8 - Preston @ Crawford
  34. Cotswold #6 - Preston between Fannin & San Jacinto
  35. Cotswold #9 - Prairie @ Travis

NOT WORKING:

1. Sesquicentennial Park
  2. Tranquility Park
  3. Cotswold #2
  4. Cotswold # 4
  5. Cotswold #5
  6. Cotswold #7
  7. Cotswold #10
Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

To add to the list of non-functioning fountains, I have to mention The Water Screen, at Main Street Square, which hasn't worked in years (pictured below; photo taken today).  Also, although the fountains behind it have water, the jets haven't operated in a while -- maybe they are still off from winter, because they never seem to have been operated year-round, but it's been some time since I last saw them spray too:

IaLs8qh.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rechlin said:

To add to the list of non-functioning fountains, I have to mention The Water Screen, at Main Street Square, which hasn't worked in years (pictured below; photo taken today).  Also, although the fountains behind it have water, the jets haven't operated in a while -- maybe they are still off from winter, because they never seem to have been operated year-round, but it's been some time since I last saw them spray too:

IaLs8qh.jpg

They were both operating the last two times I was down there (twice in the past week). I was pleasantly surprised to see the "screen" operating, because I, too, had not seen it working in years.

Edited by Houston19514

Just did another walk around parts of downtown and need to do an update.  Again, both Main Street Square fountains are indeed working.  To be clear the "screen" fountain does not run nonstop and was never intended to.  It's apparently on some sort of timer. I waited for may two minutes and, sure enough, it came on.

Also, to update, it looks like the former Allen Center courtyard fountain did not come back when the redid the open space, so one less working fountain. But there is a lovely new fountain in the Barbara Bush Literacy Plaza that is working.  So the count stands at 35 working.   7 not working.  Everyone can judge for themselves whether "it is a fact that the vast majority of downtown's fountains are dead".   😉

WORKING:

7. Houston Center
  10. Hermann Square
  11. Main Street Square 1
  12. Main Street Square 2
  16. Barbara Bush Literacy Plaza
  17. 1100 Louisiana
  19. Root Memorial Square
  21. Jones Hall
  22. Hess Tower
  24. Green Street 1
  25. Green Street 2
  26. Green Street 3
  27. Avenida Houston
  28. Catalyst
  30. George Bush Monument
  31. POST roof park
  33. Cotswold #8 - Preston @ Crawford
  34. Cotswold #6 - Preston between Fannin & San Jacinto
  35. Cotswold #9 - Prairie @ Travis

NOT WORKING:

1. Sesquicentennial Park
  2. Tranquility Park
  3. Cotswold #2
  4. Cotswold # 4
  5. Cotswold #5
  6. Cotswold #7
  7. Cotswold #10
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Just did another walk around parts of downtown and need to do an update.  Again, both Main Street Square fountains are indeed working.  To be clear the "screen" fountain does not run nonstop and was never intended to.  It's apparently on some sort of timer. I waited for may two minutes and, sure enough, it came on.

When you say both the Main Street square fountains are working, do you mean the ones with the high arching streams? I don’t know if I just have horrible timing but I haven’t seen those work in like 12 years. 

Also, for the one on Avenida Houston, was the mechanism working or just the fountain? 

15 hours ago, Sunstar said:

When you say both the Main Street square fountains are working, do you mean the ones with the high arching streams? I don’t know if I just have horrible timing but I haven’t seen those work in like 12 years. 

Also, for the one on Avenida Houston, was the mechanism working or just the fountain? 

Yes, apparently you have horrible timing.  😉The high arching streams weee indeed not working for a while (although I think it was well less than 12 years), but they have been working recently.

Here’s a YouTube video from 2 months ago.  

On Avenida, just the fountain. The kinetic sculpture is no longer kinetic.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Yes, apparently you have horrible timing.  😉The high arching streams weee indeed not working for a while (although I think it was well less than 12 years), but they have been working recently.

I’m glad to hear it’s functioning. I am bummed about the Avenida fountain no longer being kinetic. I thought it was a cool concept. 

• Like 1

After several more times going by Main Street Square and still not seeing any of the fountains working, I was beginning to think I was going crazy, but I went by again today and finally they were working.  Also, although the screen wasn't running, I saw evidence (water on the ground in front of it) that it had been running recently, so I guess that indeed is operational even if I still haven't been able to see it.  So clearly I've just had really bad luck with these fountains!

I can't think of the last time I saw the Jones Hall fountain working, though it does have water in it (and assuming that we're talking about the water feature on the lower concourse).  I walk past it several times a week going to and from the molluskmobile.

IIRC the Main Street Square water screen only comes on when the wind is relatively calm.  Otherwise it can give passers by a nice shower.

On 4/24/2023 at 2:27 PM, mollusk said:

I can't think of the last time I saw the Jones Hall fountain working, though it does have water in it (and assuming that we're talking about the water feature on the lower concourse).  I walk past it several times a week going to and from the molluskmobile.

IIRC the Main Street Square water screen only comes on when the wind is relatively calm.  Otherwise it can give passers by a nice shower.

Interesting... the last time I saw the Jones Hall fountain working was . . .  yesterday.

Also went by Houston Center on yesterday's walk.  Here's the fountain:

image.jpeg.8ed9f89eea4d39a8acc4eec59d01ff67.jpeg

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Downtown Fountains
  • 1 month later...