St. Joseph Medical Center At 1401 St. Joseph Pkwy.

Houstonian in Iraq

If a corporation were to propose putting its logo up on the side of a building like that along with backlighting, it wouldn't have been allowed a permit from the City of Houston for reasons stated in the Sign Code.

Why does a religious symbol get a pass when a corporate logo or other advertisement does not?

Maybe because churches & other religiously affiliated businesses are exempt? How come I don't see an uproar on here over the newly constructed Co-Cathedral Catholic Church in downtown? The cross on top of that thing has got to be at least 200 feet in height & is clearly visible from the Pierce Elevated.

Edited by Metro Matt

Maybe because churches & other religiously affiliated businesses are exempt?

Because that was my point. Your request to prove my point prompted me to prove my point.

How come I don't see an uproar on here over the newly constructed Co-Cathedral Catholic Church in downtown? The cross on top of that thing has got to be at least 200 feet in height & is clearly visible from the Pierce Elevated.

Show me the elevations.

Maybe because churches & other religiously affiliated businesses are exempt? How come I don't see an uproar on here over the newly constructed Co-Cathedral Catholic Church in downtown? The cross on top of that thing has got to be at least 200 feet in height & is clearly visible from the Pierce Elevated.

Huh? Those crosses are probably no taller than 10-12 feet. They may be placed on top of a structure 140 feet tall, but the crosses themselves are tastefully small, unlike the huge lighted cross at St. Joe's. I don't care if they are legal or illegal, and I don't care if they are corporate or religious symbols, people that have no sense of scale should not be in decision making positions when it comes to signs, symbols or homes.

The electric cross is butt-ugly, just like the one on I-45. But, I don't care if it stays lit. We have uglier things in this town that need our derision more.

• Like 2

The electric cross is butt-ugly, just like the one on I-45. But, I don't care if it stays lit. We have uglier things in this town that need our derision more.

Like all of the strip clubs lining I-45 with large search lights pointing to the heavens? I'm sure those abide by city code very well too.

• Like 1

Like all of the strip clubs lining I-45 with large search lights pointing to the heavens? I'm sure those abide by city code very well too.

I am unaware of any, but I can assure you that strip clubs are the most regulated businesses in the city. Do you really want to compare them to churches? Would you like the churches subjected to the same scrutiny?

BTW, this is not an 'either/or' proposition. I can find St. Joe's cross AND searchlights butt-ugly if I like. I am not limited in the number of things I find to be butt-ugly. In fact, the butt-ugly lighted cross has plenty of company.

Edited by RedScare
  • Like 1

I don't hate it. At first, I hated it because of what it stood for, now I am growing to like it from a more artistic point of view. I don't see it as unproportionate, in fact I think it fits the building well. Also, the lighting, fluorescent or neon, reminds me of many works of the minimalist Dan Flavin, who of course has a permanent installation in Richmond Hall at the Menil Collection, but on a much larger scale.

I don't hate it. At first, I hated it because of what it stood for, now I am growing to like it from a more artistic point of view. I don't see it as unproportionate, in fact I think it fits the building well. Also, the lighting, fluorescent or neon, reminds me of many works of the minimalist Dan Flavin, who of course has a permanent installation in Richmond Hall at the Menil Collection, but on a much larger scale.

Its not lit with fluorescent or neon...its LED's. :)

Edited by Metro Matt

So, when the nuns sold the hospital did they sell the professional building as well?

I worked for Christus and Christus never owned that building. I have no idea who owns it now, but the previous owner was difficult to work with from a tenants perspective and would have never invested in it to even paint let alone tack up a giant cross. It is distracting and rather tasteless, and seems more like a marketing tool than related to mission, especially since the building was never owned by a religious organization. Who says religion isn't a business?

• 6 years later...

My wife works in a clinic located in St Joseph. The federal program being terminated is for traditional Medicare only, which is a huge blow but there are other funding sources still in place. She just heard about it this week as well, not sure what will happen.

• Like 1

The CEO of St Joseph is speaking to the core team on Thursday. They are partially doctor owned (21%) with Iasis Healthcare owning the rest.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look good for St. Joe's. My neighbor's son is in the process of clearing out all of the furniture in one of the buildings. Don't know the entirety of the situation, but the City was about to start citing the hospital due to the specific building being closed and basically abandoned.

He has brought home several desks chairs, TVs, a refrigerator, etc. over the last week or so. From what my neighbor has told me, this is being done to clear the building out down to the bare walls in anticipation of unloading it altogether.

Perhaps that's why the new Sheraton going in at the ol' Holiday/Heaven on Earth building is listed as 801 Calhoun, instead of St. Joe's Pkwy.???

• Like 1

The one article I found on it implied that the HHS's denial stems from an incident where a patient with mental issues became combative and was shot by security guards with insufficient corrective action. As bad as that incident might be, there has to be more to it than that.

My wife confirmed what was stated about the mentally unstable patient - i remember her telling me about it when it happened. After that shooting the investigation picked up a lot of scrutiny. The meeting the CEO announced Monday that was to be held on Thursday was canceled.

There is an article about the findings in the chron:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/St-Joseph-inspection-finds-deficiencies-in-6641625.php

CMS will no longer pay for patients admitted on or after Dec. 3 through Medicare. It may continue to reimburse for care for patients admitted before Dec. 3 for up to 30 days after the termination date.

what do you mean the feds are cuting funding for traditional medicare patients? im confused

I don't know all the details, just whatever my wife tells me... What i do know - CMS (Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services) is the federal agency that runs medicare. Anyone over 65 is eligible for traditional Medicare. There are a large number of patients that go to St Joseph that rely solely on Medicare. CMS has cut them off, so St Joseph can no longer bill to Medicare. So they will have to turn away patients that are relying on Medicare coverage.

My wife works for a Medicare advantage program. This is where insurance companies offer added care on top of Traditional Medicare for a fee - supplemental insurance. She works in a clinic with Doctors that accept this advantage program. That won't be affected at the moment. Though obviously whatever happens to the whole hospital will impact everyone.

Wow.. This would be like 7-8 blocks of property potentially up for redevelopment. Imagine if Post, OliverMcMillan, or some other large mixed use developer of the likes took over and built a new mega development there.. They could even give up a few blocks of the property for that southern downtown park, and still have a handful of blocks to redevelop.

true.. but on the contrary, imagine the possibilities! heh. there has been a lot of talk on HAIF lately about expanding Houstons university presence.. imagine if UT did build a UT-H (but on these blocks and the derelict properties to the east/north.. not where they plan to build a "Research Campus" southwest of 610), or A&M built an A&M Houston, at/around the St Josephs site. along with the 8 St Josephs blocks north of 45 (and the cross building south of 45), there are 4-5 vacant blocks east/north of St Josephs. and id imagine the couple of the blocks that aren't vacant are small enough entities that they can be bought/relocated, creating an expanse of ~15 neighboring blocks. at 250x250' a block, thats around 21.5 acres. slightly larger than the 20 acre UH-D campus. just make this one denser so it'll have a larger presence.. build a few tall residence halls (like Dobie Center at UT). have a handful of HSPVA-esque mid-rises for the classrooms, I'm thinking one building for each "school" in the university. administration will need a tower. throw in some green space.. an urban quad if you will. about the only thing missing is room for sports facilities.. could they play in the nearby professional venues, sort of like how TSU plays football in BBVA Compass Stadium?