Don't feed the beggars!

grumpy old man

Please don't give you hard earned money to the homeless people or the restoration church group that hang out at that intersection.Give to a charity or church where it will do some good, all it does now is keep them coming back for easy money, clothes and food, they will not work for food or money, things can't be to bad!The restoration church only has a po box to contact them, makes me wonder?

Please don't give you hard earned money to the homeless people or the restoration church group that hang out at that intersection.Give to a charity or church where it will do some good, all it does now is keep them coming back for easy money, clothes and food, they will not work for food or money, things can't be to bad!The restoration church only has a po box to contact them, makes me wonder?

Actually, the reason they are out at that intersection is because everyone in Midtown, Downtown and around Allen Parkway ordered me to stop giving money to them here. Are you saying that you want me to start giving them money inside the loop again?

figured that would happen, would not have used that term if they were in dire straits, these people are not, its a hustle!

As a Sergeant with the Harris County Sheriff Office, all you have to do is call 713 221 600 and demand a deputy to that location and have the solicitors cited. A deputy will be dispatched to that location.

As a Sergeant with the Harris County Sheriff Office, all you have to do is call 713 221 600 and demand a deputy to that location and have the solicitors cited. A deputy will be dispatched to that location.

Does that work inside the Houston city limits, too? I'd like to request a permanent dispatch for all of Westheimer.

Alright...listen up all you folks that live inside the loop...let's take up a collection, and then I'll drive out to Katy and distribute it to the bums. Word will get around in the bum community that things are good in Katy, and we can finally get rid of all the bums ITL.

looks like you forgot a digit.

Alright...listen up all you folks that live inside the loop...let's take up a collection, and then I'll drive out to Katy and distribute it to the bums. Word will get around in the bum community that things are good in Katy, and we can finally get rid of all the bums ITL.

No worries, I am willing to relocate. I need some change of scenery.

Actually, Houston Restoration Church is a provider of drug and alcohol rehabilitation.

OK folks, you don't want crack houses in your neighborhoods AND you don't want halfway houses in your neighborhoods. Can't you see one as a problem and one as a solution? Support the solultion.

Now having said that, I am disturbed by the trend of fundraising on street corners. When I see kids out there trying to get donations for their school ski trips, or other organizations trying to raise funds like this. Give me lemonade in front of a house. Wash cars.

First of all, kids should not be navigating traffic at these busy intersections. Soliciting funds on a street corner is not instilling an ethic of working for what you are asking for. If you are a legitimate organization, grocery stores will allow you to raise funds in front of them. Businesses will allow you to use their parking lots for washing cars.

A kid was on my street last week going door to door selling candy. Things aren't like they used to be. It is dangerous for the kids, and neighbors are suspicious and feel insecure having strangers come to their doors.

We must rethink how we raise funds while teaching a work ethic. Any suggestions?

Actually, Houston Restoration Church is a provider of drug and alcohol rehabilitation.

OK folks, you don't want crack houses in your neighborhoods AND you don't want halfway houses in your neighborhoods. Can't you see one as a problem and one as a solution? Support the solultion.

Now having said that, I am disturbed by the trend of fundraising on street corners. When I see kids out there trying to get donations for their school ski trips, or other organizations trying to raise funds like this. Give me lemonade in front of a house. Wash cars.

First of all, kids should not be navigating traffic at these busy intersections. Soliciting funds on a street corner is not instilling an ethic of working for what you are asking for. If you are a legitimate organization, grocery stores will allow you to raise funds in front of them. Businesses will allow you to use their parking lots for washing cars.

A kid was on my street last week going door to door selling candy. Things aren't like they used to be. It is dangerous for the kids, and neighbors are suspicious and feel insecure having strangers come to their doors.

We must rethink how we raise funds while teaching a work ethic. Any suggestions?

Oh that bothers me too (begging at intersections). How many times per year do they need new band uniforms? And it's 80% adults out there? Sorry, I call scam on half of those, and have read that scammers have been caught doing exactly that.

When I was a kid I went door to door selling popcorn, magazines, wrapping paper (?!), all in the name of school fundraising. I hated it. I used to wish no one would answer the door. But there weren't any safety concerns, I just told my parents I was off to case another part of the 'hood. These days I don't believe are less safe, there's just more press on abductions and crap, thank you idiot Nancy Grace.

My suggestion is that these groups team up with local businesses. Work a car wash, work booths at festivals. In high school we paid for prom by working concessions at LSU football games, it was a blast. Of course Aramark doesn't have a stranglehold on that venue. But there are probably tons of opportunities to team up with local businesses at events, or come up with events on your own. If you don't have a school fair, start one, make it profitable.

Oh that bothers me too (begging at intersections). How many times per year do they need new band uniforms? And it's 80% adults out there? Sorry, I call scam on half of those, and have read that scammers have been caught doing exactly that.

When I was a kid I went door to door selling popcorn, magazines, wrapping paper (?!), all in the name of school fundraising. I hated it. I used to wish no one would answer the door. But there weren't any safety concerns, I just told my parents I was off to case another part of the 'hood. These days I don't believe are less safe, there's just more press on abductions and crap, thank you idiot Nancy Grace.

My suggestion is that these groups team up with local businesses. Work a car wash, work booths at festivals. In high school we paid for prom by working concessions at LSU football games, it was a blast. Of course Aramark doesn't have a stranglehold on that venue. But there are probably tons of opportunities to team up with local businesses at events, or come up with events on your own. If you don't have a school fair, start one, make it profitable.

For kids going door to door, my safety fear isn't rape or assault or robbery. It's the paranoid people who are suspicious of who is coming to their door. Kind of like the folks that opened fire on the families that were coming back from the levee in their neighborhood.

Are they fighting for space with the drill team girls who want to wash cars for a donation? For years now they've been hiring poor people to do the actual washing; I guess now they outsource the streetcorner advertising as well.

I was just there last weekend, and had no idea how far Mason Road had gone.

Are they fighting for space with the drill team girls who want to wash cars for a donation? For years now they've been hiring poor people to do the actual washing; I guess now they outsource the streetcorner advertising as well.

I was just there last weekend, and had no idea how far Mason Road had gone.

There also at the corner of I10 and 99. They get on my nerves! They decided to do drugs, they decided to live progressively worse, go get a job doing anything so you can have some sort of income. I remember when my I gave a homeless lady my lunch (Turkey Sandwich, soda, chips, cookie, and a peppermint)..I did not want to give her money as I thought that she would use it to buy drugs. As i go forward I look back at my rear view mirror and she threw it in the trash can!!! From there on in I have no more pity for the beggars.

NEVER give them cash. Give them a meal. I (on rare occasion) will ask them what they want to eat - pick any fast-food. Most of them tell me to ________ off. Oh well. No meal, no money, no pity.

Welcome to the real world. You can try to move as far out into the suburbs as possible... but eventually your utopia in the farm fields will be introduced to the real world. Maybe some of the churches that drive from Katy into Midtown can stop that and start offering services to the homeless in Katy.

Welcome to the real world. You can try to move as far out into the suburbs as possible... but eventually your utopia in the farm fields will be introduced to the real world. Maybe some of the churches that drive from Katy into Midtown can stop that and start offering services to the homeless in Katy.

You should have seen the "in dire straits" people Friday they "found" a wheel chair, had people getting out of their cars to hand them money. Harris County pulled and they took off!

• 2 weeks later...

You should have seen the "in dire straits" people Friday they "found" a wheel chair, had people getting out of their cars to hand them money. Harris County pulled and they took off!

July 17th the dire straits people and the church people were hard at it today , then Harris county came up, church people were gone in a flash, dire straits person, the one in the wheel chair, thought he had been struck by the Harris County officer's car! 1 firetruck, 1 ems unit, two wreckers, for the wheel chair i guess, and 3 more patrol cars tying up 12:30 traffic. Dire straits person got a ride to the hospital, don't know who got the wheel chair, but i am sure they will back at it tomorrow.

So the losers are now at Katy Freeway and Grand Parkway....

I'll never understand why people give these idiots money. 95% of the street corner beggars are drug abusers/drunks. When you give them your money, it's just enabling them by giving them another shot of drugs or whiskey. All these jerks do is tie up traffic and risk being hurt walking in traffic.

If people really want to help, give your money to a reputable charity or homeless center where the money is used correctly. Or if you want to give them something constructive, give them a razor for a clean shave and the classified help wanted section. They'll throw it back at you.

• 2 months later...

Looks like the Sherriff is doing his job with the beggar at the Grand Parkway and I-10. Not sure how homeless she was because she kept signaling to someone in a car parked in the u-turn with one finger like she kept telling them she would be there in one minute. Must have been her ride back home.

post-6005-12550327402872_thumb.jpg

That's Katy Police there. , Ft.Bend Co. Sheriffs. Might be the reason why they migrated to there, just out of reach of Harris Co. ? But, Katy normally frowns on such activities in their little town.

Austin musicians have helped push an ordinance making it illegal for street urchins, aka "pan handlers", to conduct business in the Austin Downtown area, between the hours of 7pm and 7am. But, if said street urchins have a guitar or harmonica or drums and are playing, they are ok, as they are providing a service.

No. If by some infinitesimal chance I am out in Katy (ugh), I will give them money. I'd rather have them far from the city. :)

looks like you forgot a digit.

I think he's just making stuff up.

How about those same kids get jobs then donate their entire paycheck.

There also at the corner of I10 and 99. They get on my nerves! They decided to do drugs, they decided to live progressively worse, go get a job doing anything so you can have some sort of income. I remember when my I gave a homeless lady my lunch (Turkey Sandwich, soda, chips, cookie, and a peppermint)..I did not want to give her money as I thought that she would use it to buy drugs. As i go forward I look back at my rear view mirror and she threw it in the trash can!!! From there on in I have no more pity for the beggars.

This is why I donated once in my entire life. Same thing happened. She threw the food I gave her in the trash.

Why anyone still donates a single penny is beyond me.

This is why I donated once in my entire life. Same thing happened. She threw the food I gave her in the trash.

Why anyone still donates a single penny is beyond me.

There are homeless who need and appreciate food donations, but they typically aren't the ones panhandling. Some of those panhandlers aren't even homeless.

Archived