Fry Rd. Between HEB And Home Depot

t0ddlg

I just ran to Home Depot and there are crews out there spraying lines on the medians/road and the crossovers between HEB/Home Depot are barricaded.

Anyone know what the new configuration will look like? That area sure could use help.

I know that a study last year recommended that the eastbound left turn bays from the SH99 southbound frontage road intersection be extended, but I don't drive in the area, so I don't know if that's what is being done.

I just ran to Home Depot and there are crews out there spraying lines on the medians/road and the crossovers between HEB/Home Depot are barricaded.

Anyone know what the new configuration will look like? That area sure could use help.

No no no, get ready for this one. The county wants to Cement the two left entrances that lead into The HEB shopping center and Hobby Lobby. They want to make S. Fry with the median the entire way to 99. They said that there has been to many accidents when people are turning left. HEB, Hobby Lobby, Palais Royal, and the Home Depot are fighting this tooth and nail. I think this is a very bad idea they should just put a stop sign. <_<

There was a lot of information provided about these changes in the grand lakes annual HOA meeting back in December. I have wondered when the changes would happen but it sounds like they are starting. Have you noticed that the cops that used to be out at that intersection have moved down by the Denny's? They are trying to get traffic used to going down there - and here is why:

(This is what all I can remember):

The enterance into HEB and Home Depot is too close to Grand Parkway for a light; and it isn't a real intersection it just happens that both enterances into the two shopping centers are aligned with eachother.

The median between the Home Depot and HEB shopping centers that is closest to Grand Parkway is going to be permanately shut down and traffic will be forced to go further West on Fry to get into these shopping centers.

Unrelated, but close by, the Southbound exit ramp from Grand Parkway to Fry road always backs up so they are going to make a double right-hand turn lane to help with the traffic.

That is all I can remember. This intersection is an absolute disaster and needs major changes yesterday. I think this will help out a lot.

FalconRanch1, a stopsign would make things much worse for traffic flow through that area. Can you imagine how far it would back up past Grand Parkway? Or worse, how far traffic coming off of Grand Parkway would back up? How about the folks that live West of there trying to get to Grand Parkway in the morning for work and they have to stop at a stopsign? That would be horrible.

From the look of things, (Wednesday, July 1st at 2:00 PM), Fry Road will soon have one long skinny median all the way from 99 to the next traffic light at Seven Meadows Parkway with extended left turn lane(s). Anyone traveling east on Fry towards 99 will still be able to turn right into either of the two existing Fry Rd entrances, but as exits they will be right turn only (solid median prevents left turns) so if you want to go west on Fry you'll have to exit by Hobby Lobby onto SM Pkwy and go to the light. If you're traveling west on Fry, you'll have to go to the next light and turn left (or 'U', not sure) to enter the HEB center from SM Pkwy. For the Home Depot, it's essentially the opposite - right turn exiting or go to the light to turn left (east) on Fry.

It's probably not going to be that much of an inconvenience time-wise (depending on how the lights are set) and it looks like it will unsnarl the clusterfrak that's there now.

Or they could have just planned it out a bit better before just allowing anything and everyone to build on top of each other with out any thought for the traffic flow.

Typical of how things are going out here over the past few years. Build, Build, Build and worry about what happens later then try to half ass fix the mess.

Oh, one other thing I think they are going to do is when heading Eastbound on Fry Road towards Grand Parkway...right now there is only one left turn lane to go North on Grandparkway and this also causes traffic problems. They are supposed to make that a double turn lane.

Yeah, Fry Road is pretty bad right there. Some horrible planning. Katy is becoming a damn mess. I wish all of these areas could be incorporated into Katy city limits. Maybe some zoning would have taken place then.

About time something was done about the traffic flow here (I speak as someone whose car got hit 3 years ago by somebody "crossing over" out of the Home Depot exit toward HEB. ). There have been many, many other accidents since - it's been a disaster and shows a ridiculous lack of planning.

• 2 weeks later...

It took them long enough to do something about the mess. I shop that area frequently and was down there a day or so ago. To me it looks like the Seven Meadows light west bound will have 2 left turn lanes into the neighborhood. They need to go ahead put a "no u-turn" sign up because I've already seen too many close calls between a right-turner and a u-turner. ...and some of these u-turning vehicles are too big to negotiate the u-turn without jumping the curb on the right. Once its all said and done I wonder how bad the traffic will backup with people trying to enter the HEB shopping center from Seven Medadows Pkwy.

Anyway, I'm glad they're closing those "median holes". I wish they would close that HEB gas station exit that is closest to 99 or at least reshape to force a right turn. When drivers exit they typically race across to the left turn lane causing the oncoming vehicles to slam on their brakes and possibly be rear ended.

• The title was changed to Fry Rd. Between HEB And Home Depot

Archived