Share your nice stories here.

KinkaidAlum

Here's mine from tonight;

This might make me look like a big goober, but I am nothing if not a bleeding heart liberal. Sometimes it's the smallest things that can make a huge impression. So... my mother hasn't been feeling well as of late. The only thing she seems to be able to eat is ice cream. So I went to Baskin Robbins to get her a scoop of mint chocolate chip tonight. While I was ordering, an elderly black man walked in with a cane and whispered something to the young clerk in the store. The clerk was an EMO-ish looking Hispanic girl probably in her late teens. I watched the two whisper back and forth for a minute and then I noticed that she returned with a cup of ice cream. He said thank you and walked out of the store. He didn't pay nor did she ask him to. When I was done with my order, I made sure to tell her how I thought she just did a really nice thing and I put a couple of bucks in the tip jar. She smiled and quietly said that she thought all people deserved to be treated with dignity.

I found this interaction very moving and it reminded me on an otherwise crappy day that good does exist.

This might make me look like a big goober, but I am nothing if not a bleeding heart liberal. Sometimes it's the smallest things that can make a huge impression. So... my mother hasn't been feeling well as of late. The only thing she seems to be able to eat is ice cream. So I went to Baskin Robbins to get her a scoop of mint chocolate chip tonight. While I was ordering, an elderly black man walked in with a cane and whispered something to the young clerk in the store. The clerk was an EMO-ish looking Hispanic girl probably in her late teens. I watched the two whisper back and forth for a minute and then I noticed that she returned with a cup of ice cream. He said thank you and walked out of the store. He didn't pay nor did she ask him to. When I was done with my order, I made sure to tell her how I thought she just did a really nice thing and I put a couple of bucks in the tip jar. She smiled and quietly said that she thought all people deserved to be treated with dignity.

I found this interaction very moving and it reminded me on an otherwise crappy day that good does exist.

Thank you kinkaid. These are the things that warm my heart. I will post a nice story too.

There is NOTHING bleeding heart or Liberal about charity towards a senior citizen. Any act of kindness towards them by a young person is proof we are still a truly a civil society.

Thanks for the story, but why mention his race? Is it because you thought it unlikely that an elderly Black man would have as much success charming a free ice cream from the young lady as much as an elderly White man perhaps would have? I'm not attempting to call you out as a racist or anything like that - I'm just merely asking out of curiosity.

There is NOTHING bleeding heart or Liberal about charity towards a senior citizen. Any act of kindness towards them by a young person is proof we are still a truly a civil society.

Thanks for the story, but why mention his race? Is it because you thought it unlikely that an elderly Black man would have as much success charming a free ice cream from the young lady as much as an elderly White man perhaps would have? I'm not attempting to call you out as a racist or anything like that - I'm just merely asking out of curiosity.

I suggest we keep this a nice story negative feedback free zone. My suggestion would be that if you question motives, politics etc. of these nice stories, you do so by PM so that these stories stay nice and don't deteriorate into backbiting. Just my opinion.

I am such a softie for things like that... I would have probably emptied my wallet into the tip jar! Great story... so much good goes on in the world we just don't hear about it as much.

• 1 month later...

I suggest we keep this a nice story negative feedback free zone. My suggestion would be that if you question motives, politics etc. of these nice stories, you do so by PM so that these stories stay nice and don't deteriorate into backbiting. Just my opinion.

true. here is my story

1983:

My qualifying earth jump took place the day after my friend Mr. 460 and I Successfully made the Train Jump.

'The next morning we slept in a little bit but I had another goal in mind, my first cliff jump. The motor was still a little rough at first, but as we got closer to Dead Man’s Canyon, it picked up ok. There were other boats in this canyon when we pulled in, but we made our way to the chill spot anyways. It was kind of windy, but there were pretty consistent lulls. 460 looked at me and said, "So if you decide to make this jump, you should open as low as you can." I began to hike towards the exit, taking an easier route this time. From up there I could see the four other boats that were fishing. I hung out for 45 minutes tossing several wind indicators, which all soared away from the wall. I saw the our boat driver start the motor and begin to creep deeper into the canyon next to all the fishermen. They played loud music and made wakes, and it worked. All of a sudden, all four fishing boats started up and took off. When my rescue boat returned I geared up. I waited another 10 minutes to build myself up and prepare for the groundrush.

I looked over the edge a few times, then stepped back and took a deep breath. I took two steps and launched with everything I had. I freefell for an eternity it seemed. I threw my 48" pilot chute and waited some more for the ‘whack!’ It snatched me up about 2.5 seconds before plunging into the water. I couldn’t believe I jumped off of a train, and my first cliff jump seemed less crazy at the time, because I was still high from that train. I appreciate the learning experience it was now that I’m safe. They picked me up in the boat, and helped pull my canopy in. I got it in the stash bag and we took off. The water was really choppy most of the way back to the boat launch, which made for an uncomfortable ride, but it smoothed out near the end.

We were slowly creeping toward the dock, and we saw the Law enforcement boat approaching us with their lights on. They pulled up and grabbed our vessel. One guy asked what we were doing to which I replied, "Ah we’re just enjoying the beautiful view. I tried to ski some but the water was really choppy.." He nodded and began checking if our watercraft met all of the safety regulations. I noticed at least 2 machine guns on their boat. They were Game Wardens. So we had all the necessary safety devices and registration. They left us alone to hassle some other boats in the area. We loaded up and got ready to head back home.

HA

I hit a bunch of the trucks from this article and had some really awesome food. One friendly Venezuelan guy who owned one of them seemed kind of puzzled that this Gringo was ordering food from him so he asked me how I heard about his place and I showed him the article. He looked flabbergasted and started crying happily when he saw a picture of his truck and a review of his food in the local weekly. He just kept reading the article stunned that a food critic had reviewed his little truck. I let him keep the Press. :)

He made this ham sandwich with plaintain patties as the 'bread' that was sooo good.

Sabor Venezolano

Southwest corner of Westheimer and Fondren

For a change of pace, try this Venezuelan-owned taco truck on the West side. The truck opens for business at 7 a.m. with 99-cent breakfast tacos. There's also a Mexican taco menu if you aren't interested in trying el sabor venezolano. What to get: The patacón looks like a sandwich, but instead of two slices of bread, there are green plantain slices that have been fried together into crispy rounds. A pile of shredded beef, a slice of ham, some cheese, and lettuce, tomato and mayo are layered between two of the plantain crusts. It tastes spectacular, and it's also very filling. A sauce made of cream with a little feta and basil is served on the side. Chile-heads might consider taking their patacones home and doctoring them up with a little hot sauce. The corn cakes called arepas are split, gordita-style, and stuffed with your choice of meats.

He charges like $2.50 for it.

Archived