What's on your iPhone?

Someone suggested earlier this week that there should be a thread discussing what iPhone apps people like. So what's on your iPhone?

I only have three screens. Most of the icons are self-explanatory:

IMG_2116.PNG

IMG_2117.PNG

IMG_2118.PNG

Someone suggested earlier this week that there should be a thread discussing what iPhone apps people like. So what's on your iPhone?

IMG_2116.PNG

IMG_2117.PNG

IMG_2118.PNG

DUDE, you don't have the Kindle app. I find myself unexpectedly in line, I pull up my kindle app and read a book. That is my favorite app.

One app that I wish for is a free paypal virtual terminal (credit card) app.

There is iSwipe, which costs $50 and is misleading because you still have to type the credit card into the app. I can do that for free through the web browser, so I have no need to pay for the app.

HOWEVER - what would be really cool is if Apple would open up the dock connector (data port) for peripherals and let someone market an actual magnetic swiper. I would pay for that as soon as it went on sale.

DUDE, you don't have the Kindle app. I find myself unexpectedly in line, I pull up my kindle app and read a book. That is my favorite app.

I have it downloaded, but not synced to the iPhone yet because I'm still working my way through the books in the Classics application. So far I've read Tom Sawyer and now I'm reading Treasure Island. I'm surprised how easy it is to read a book on the iPhone. DPI FTW.

IMG_0208.PNG

That Open Table app is great. I don't have it on my phone, but my wife has it on hers. There are certain restaurants we like that we know always have a 45 minute wait. But with the Open Table, we're usually able to make a reservation just 15 to 30 minutes ahead and skip the line. Really fantastic.

Is there a haif app?

Not a real app, but there are a couple of HAIF-related iPhone things:

IMG_2117.PNG

On this screen you can see an icon for HAIF:Now. That's how a lot of people keep up with what's going on on HAIF. It was designed with the iPhone in mind. You can get to it here: http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haifnow.php and then just add it to your iPhone's home screen.

Next to the HAIF:Now web app icon is a HAIF Wx icon. This is the iPhone-specific version of HAIF:Weather. It has current conditions, animated radar, and a custom streaming audio forecast made just for HAIF by the meteorologists at 39 News.

Will there be more HAIF - iPhone integration in the future? Yes. I have the SDK, but haven't had time to look at the tutorial videos yet. I expect I'll whip up some kind of app sooner or later.

One app that I wish for is a free paypal virtual terminal (credit card) app.

Agreed. I looked at all the credit card apps on the iTunes store and they all have either horrible rates or some other catch.

There is iSwipe, which costs $50 and is misleading because you still have to type the credit card into the app. I can do that for free through the web browser, so I have no need to pay for the app.

HOWEVER - what would be really cool is if Apple would open up the dock connector (data port) for peripherals and let someone market an actual magnetic swiper. I would pay for that as soon as it went on sale.

The connector is already open. Has been for years. Dozens of companies use the dock specification for things like radio tuners, GPS attachments, medical monitoring equipment, etc... Whether some enterprising card reader company will get on board remains to be seen.

What would be useful is if Apple would lift some of the restraints on its Bluetooth module. Then you could have a Bluetooth card swiper communicate with your iPhone. That would rock.

I have it downloaded, but not synced to the iPhone yet because I'm still working my way through the books in the Classics application. So far I've read Tom Sawyer and now I'm reading Treasure Island. I'm surprised how easy it is to read a book on the iPhone. DPI FTW.

You can get a lot of the classis from kindle for free.

Not a real app, but there are a couple of HAIF-related iPhone things:

On this screen you can see an icon for HAIF:Now. That's how a lot of people keep up with what's going on on HAIF. It was designed with the iPhone in mind. You can get to it here: http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haifnow.php and then just add it to your iPhone's home screen.

Next to the HAIF:Now web app icon is a HAIF Wx icon. This is the iPhone-specific version of HAIF:Weather. It has current conditions, animated radar, and a custom streaming audio forecast made just for HAIF by the meteorologists at 39 News.

Will there be more HAIF - iPhone integration in the future? Yes. I have the SDK, but haven't had time to look at the tutorial videos yet. I expect I'll whip up some kind of app sooner or later.

awesome!

Please tell me what the More Cowbell app does?! I must know! (not an iphone owner, but its really tempting, someone talk me out of it)

It was originally kind of a joke based on the SNL skit. It's basically just a picture of a cowbell, and if you shake the iPhone or touch the picture of the cowbell, it plays the cowbell sound effect. It also randomly plays Christopher Walken yelling, "I've gotta have more cowbell!". It's pretty funny.

242tsw0.pngnd7yo5.png1zdm0c3.png

IMG_2116.PNG

IMG_2117.PNG

IMG_2118.PNG

Secret 4th page. . . I am curious now! :P

Have you cleared Rolando all the way?

Secret 4th page. . . I am curious now! :P

No big deal. It's just where I was storing Easy WiFi until I could determine how seamless the handoff to Starbucks wifi from EDGE would be.

Have you cleared Rolando all the way?

No. I really only play it on planes, and I haven't done much flying lately. But games on the iPhone are the best way to turn a 13-hour flight into a six hour flight.

gallery_1072_87_147795.jpg

Reviews and Recommendations:

Bloglines - Not an App.. this is just their direct link to their webpage. It however is a great RSS reader and their mobile page (including app-like icon) runs so smooth and fast, it might as well be an app. This is the first button i press after Snooze each morning to get my blog and comic fix while waking up.

Midomi - Like Shazam, but better. Identifies songs not only by holding it up to playing music, but also works quite well if you hum or whistle a song to it.

Pianist - One of the better piano apps available. Not free. Allows you to set the number of keys to display across to accommodate different size fingers as well as dual keyboard. You wont be playing full tunes, but it is surprisingly useful for those that dapple in composition for working out chord progressions or melodies when inspiration strikes.

Sportacular - Is not a "GameCast" type app for any one sport... instead has scores (updated every 10-20 seconds or so), standings, team news, team and individual stats for MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, MLS, PGA, NCAA FB and BB, as well as some FIFA Leagues

ITV - Local TV/Cable guide. Movie times/theaters/reviews. Netflix List Access.

iReversi - The only game I play daily. If you play reversi/othello, this is by far the best app out there. Includes ELO rating system and is primarily a random-play multiplayer perpetual tournament.

gallery_1072_87_147795.jpg

Reviews and Recommendations:

Bloglines - Not an App.. this is just their direct link to their webpage. It however is a great RSS reader and their mobile page (including app-like icon) runs so smooth and fast, it might as well be an app. This is the first button i press after Snooze each morning to get my blog and comic fix while waking up.

Midomi - Like Shazam, but better. Identifies songs not only by holding it up to playing music, but also works quite well if you hum or whistle a song to it.

Pianist - One of the better piano apps available. Not free. Allows you to set the number of keys to display across to accommodate different size fingers as well as dual keyboard. You wont be playing full tunes, but it is surprisingly useful for those that dapple in composition for working out chord progressions or melodies when inspiration strikes.

Sportacular - Is not a "GameCast" type app for any one sport... instead has scores (updated every 10-20 seconds or so), standings, team news, team and individual stats for MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, MLS, PGA, NCAA FB and BB, as well as some FIFA Leagues

ITV - Local TV/Cable guide. Movie times/theaters/reviews. Netflix List Access.

iReversi - The only game I play daily. If you play reversi/othello, this is by far the best app out there. Includes ELO rating system and only multi-player with other users.

I have not tried iTV for movies. Only Fandango so far. Midomi is a new one for me.

BTW, you are like Wayne, with your super secret 4th page of Apps! :P

I have not tried iTV for movies. Only Fandango so far. Midomi is a new one for me.

BTW, you are like Wayne, with your super secret 4th page of Apps! :P

I like Apps that do the job of multiple apps.. so yah.. I like ITV. Movies and TV all-in-one. Disclaimer, it doesnt have full netflix access.. cant add. Can however delete items off your list and rearrange the order of items on your regular and instant lists.

Secret Page currently only has FartPiano ... certainly not worth discussion among such sophisticated company.

• 1 month later...

My games page changed, I got Flight Control, and it is very addicting!

Anyone else have it?

rbbifm.png

Another update, it's worth waiting for Apps go on sale, Star Defense from $5.99 to $0.99, and Luxor (which just come out, 8/8/09) from $2.99 to starting last night $0.99.

29xgino.jpg

Also Rolando, once $9.99, to $7, then $5, then $6, is currently at $2.99 today. Cheapest I have seen yet.

tumblr_kpazh1qmfy1qze438o1_250.jpg

Update: Just noticed the Facebook 3.0 update changed the icon too, cool!

Archived