Sign in to follow this  
innerlooper

Rice Village: Bally Total Fitness Closing

Friday is supposed to be the last day for Ballys on Dunstan. Say what you will about how run-down it was, but the location was great, and that second floor with the track around the perimeter, the views, and that curved staircase with the aluminum guardrails.... it will be missed. :(

post-7654-1245799803_thumb.jpg

That low-rise near Rice Village?? Dang...it looks kind of like a more dated version of the Rec Center in A&M University.

I started my Bally's membership there back around 1990, it was pretty hip and swinging back then. I haven't been in years because it was always too crowded when I wanted to go, and parking always seemed to be an issue. Is a new one nearby replacing it?

I went to the Dunstan location around 1997-2000 but stopped since it was too crowded and me + agoraphobia + strangers' sweat don't get along well :P

There used to be a tiny one I began to frequent in the Braes Heights Shopping Center that catered to a slower and older set (just my style!), but it closed several years back.

Wasn't that the original University Savings building by Wenceslao Sarmiento, featured in the Houston Architectural Guide?

Yep, c. 1964. I wish there was some record of what the interior was like before it was gutted for President and 1st Lady Spa..

I had a charter membership going back to the summer of 87 when it opened up . I remember how really nice and clean it was the first couple of years . A few times during a weekday I remember having the whole place to myself . That didn't last for long .

This surprises me because I am/was a member and it was always crowded.

The building isn't in bad shape, but I have no idea what could possibly fill it now. Maybe a renovation would attract some commercial tenants, but there are much more attractive options in the area.

I hope it doesn't sit vacant for years, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

There's been a sign up for a while that 24 hour fitness will be coming soon...but I can't find any info online. Does anyone have an idea when they plan to open?

This surprises me because I am/was a member and it was always crowded.

The building isn't in bad shape, but I have no idea what could possibly fill it now. Maybe a renovation would attract some commercial tenants, but there are much more attractive options in the area.

I hope it doesn't sit vacant for years, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

There's been a sign up for a while that 24 hour fitness will be coming soon...but I can't find any info online. Does anyone have an idea when they plan to open?

Wow....no news here, but that's awesome! Maybe it will take some "pressure" off the one in midtown. I wonder if they would close the smaller one at Holcombe and Greenbriar?

Update - as of today, it looks like they're doing a complete shell renovation. The windows have been taken out of the entire portion of the building. I didn't realize how much of that building was for the gym - it looks like they can definitely fit enough amenities in there to make it a super sport :)

Progress photo from today - it looks like part of the first levels of the tower are being renovated as well...post-4902-0-24404800-1292359899_thumb.jp

Also, noticed the spiral staircase is still in...would be nice if it stays :)

Edited by houstonartstudent