Train Quiet Zone At Runnells St. Crossing

It's possible. The powers that be are hoping this segment of rail to be the next quiet zone.

That's interesting. Which area do you think will become a quite zone? I reckon they don't have enough money to make all the East End a quite zone, though some of the crossings may already be up to the quiet zone standards.

It's possible. The powers that be are hoping this segment of rail to be the next quiet zone.

i'd be more worried about the bricks being thrown through the windows of some of those places by the former el mercado del sol.

That's interesting. Which area do you think will become a quite zone? I reckon they don't have enough money to make all the East End a quite zone, though some of the crossings may already be up to the quiet zone standards.

I don't know. Maybe someone capable of tolerating the Eastwood Civic Assn. meetings would care to comment. I'm sure that this would be on their radar.

I'll do anything for a quiet zone! when's the next meeting?

You'd probably be interested in meetings of the Greater East End Management District, East Downtown Management District, and Super Neighborhoods #63 (Downtown), #64 (Second Ward), and #65 (Eastwood/Lawndale), in addition to the Eastwood Civic Association meetings.

I'm pretty sure that you can get scheduling information for most of these just by plugging the organizations into Google. If not, you can give the Management Districts a phone call and request information about their allied entities. You might also speak to your local City Council representative.

I grabbed this from the Washington Corridor website, which shows the proposed quiet zones: http://washingtonquietzone.com/QuietZones.pdf. As with anything like this, it is all wishlist until funding is secured...

From the website: The map at the link below (PDF format) from the City of Houston shows all Quiet Zones and their rankings. The Zones denoted by letters are Zones that are funded by developers or other funding sources, and the zones labeled 1 through 6 are the zones that received Fiscal Year 2009 priority.

I grabbed this from the Washington Corridor website, which shows the proposed quiet zones: http://washingtonquietzone.com/QuietZones.pdf. As with anything like this, it is all wishlist until funding is secured...

From the website: The map at the link below (PDF format) from the City of Houston shows all Quiet Zones and their rankings. The Zones denoted by letters are Zones that are funded by developers or other funding sources, and the zones labeled 1 through 6 are the zones that received Fiscal Year 2009 priority.

The last time the issue came up at the Eastwood civic assoc meeting, there was no new or different info than what is contained in this pdf. I haven't heard anything about quiet zones in a while.

• 3 months later...

I don't know, maybe it's because I have had my windows open the last few days, but it seems the train engineers are blowing their horns like crazy lately. It's 2am right now and there's a dude laying on his horn at this very moment. WHY? Is this really necessary? If it's due to a street crossing, seriously, can't a driver see the big ass train ahead? Comeon! It's very frustrating, but I know. That's what I get for moving to an industrial area. It seems to be non stop, though, recently. SHeesh!

I don't know, maybe it's because I have had my windows open the last few days, but it seems the train engineers are blowing their horns like crazy lately. It's 2am right now and there's a dude laying on his horn at this very moment. WHY? Is this really necessary? If it's due to a street crossing, seriously, can't a driver see the big ass train ahead? Comeon! It's very frustrating, but I know. That's what I get for moving to an industrial area. It seems to be non stop, though, recently. SHeesh!

I've noticed too. They know we're pushing for a quiet zone so they lay it down more frequently .l.dry.gif Maybe I'll bring it up at the next ECA meeting.

I've noticed too. They know we're pushing for a quiet zone so they lay it down more frequently.

FRA regulations require engineers to start the horn sequence at least 20 seconds before the crossing and continue until the crossing is occupied. In the East End, crossings are so close together they probably have to sound the horn almost constantly, and that's what you're noticing.

Cooler crisper air seems to allow sounds to travel farther, and louder for longer.

At least, this has been what I've observed, I used to live about 3 miles from Alief stadium (Crump field now), after a cold front blew in I could hear the PA system, didn't have to go to the games to know what was going on, or track and field events that were happening on weekends.

Also, when the old rail line that is now the westpark tollway was still in use by trains, you could hear the horns as they crossed traffic after a cold front, but never during the summer.

I always knew fall was in the air when I could hear the games on Friday nights!

I'm sure wind direction has some effect on this as well.

• The title was changed to Train Quiet Zone At Runnells St. Crossing

Archived