Great Mod. Bad Photos Bad Location. Great Mod

WAZ

The pictures definitely don't do it justice (except picture number 4). And the map location makes me shudder. But this thing is awesome. And a duplex for under $80k. Can't beat that.

I can imagine buying it, turning one unit into an office (for an architect, erm, me) and moving into the other...... If it didn't front on Fondren.

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...%20Fondren%20Rd

The pictures definitely don't do it justice (except picture number 4). And the map location makes me shudder. But this thing is awesome. And a duplex for under $80k. Can't beat that.

I can imagine buying it, turning one unit into an office (for an architect, erm, me) and moving into the other...... If it didn't front on Fondren.

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...%20Fondren%20Rd

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I just looked at the aerials on Bing (aka Live Search Maps).

The house is backwards. The carports and drive are off Croton Rd; not Fondren. It'd be really easy to build a thick, concrete and brick wall along Fondren. Plant more trees. And turn this into a modernist urban oasis.

You'd still get some noise off Fondren though.

I'm a glutton for punishment, so I went by and took a look last night. First off the place is much bigger than the pictures make it look, two distinct units connected by the carport area but probably 50 feet of more apart. There is a driveway facing Fondren and also an alleyway off the sidestreet. Fronting Fondren would definitely be a little scary and pretty noisy, but the neighborhood behind is actually in pretty good shape with a healthy dose of mods. I think someone with vision could do the office/residence thing the OP mentioned, or combine the units with a bridge of sorts and make one larger house with a courtyard/atrium. Proper materials and shielding could minimize the noise level and create more privacy. Bad news is the cost to do this would far exceed what the resale value of that lot will ever be in the near future, so it would have to be someone content on staying there a long time.

Archived