Houston Intermodal Transit Center

Lowbrow

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was riding my bike around this area tonight checking it out. The building west of Keene @ Brooks now has a Metro sign on it, Spanish only (hmm) advising to stay out and that the building will be demolished by Metro soon for rapid transit construction. There's a sound of a lot of running water coming from inside the building.

It's looking better and better. I wonder how many homeless people this will displace. Also, are there any other renderings or are the ones above final?

They'll only be displaced temporarily. It's a short walk up to the numerous empty strip malls on 1960.

They'll only be displaced temporarily. It's a short walk up to the numerous empty strip malls on 1960.

Yes, this is true. On their way up there, they could add to the scenery on 45. In addition to all the billboards and abandoned houses, visitors driving to town from IAH will have a front row view of thousands of homeless trekking alongside the freeway! Houston: Problem Solved!

Yes, this is true. On their way up there, they could add to the scenery on 45. In addition to all the billboards and abandoned houses, visitors driving to town from IAH will have a front row view of thousands of homeless trekking alongside the freeway! Houston: Problem Solved!

It'll be our own little hobo trail of tears. We can call it the "Trail of Beers" but only because that sounds better than "Trail of Mad Dog 20/20."

• 2 months later...

Any activity going on? or prep work?

I can see it out of my window and haven't noticed any movement. Someone did say a while back that they were putting the dirt from the Ballet project over there. It's been spread adjacent to that giant (former) warehouse foundation.

The concept is for them to move into the intermodal facility (leased space). No purchase of land, inflated prices or not; no building of a new facility.

it wouldn't be free, it would likely be a long term lease agreement. so long as the El Expreso Bus Co goes with them...

I have a feeling, even if they had to purchase land north of town, they would make more money from the sale of the land in midtown. maybe that would entice mcdonalds to sell also. and those abandoned buildings at travis could be torn down too. I don't know if I'd be able to find my way around midtown anymore without those landmarks!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

There's a sign up next to Main St. just south of the tunnel saying they've applied for a variance. I didn't get a good look, but I think it's to waive a setback requirement. And there is heavy machinery on site.

I'm sorry for my ignorance but what does it mean to be on the "Agenda for Planning & Development?" Does this mean they will start construction soon?

I guess they're called Planning Commission Meetings. They're public and even online tv: http://houstontx.city.swagit.com/Council_Commissions/

http://ataps1.pd.ci.houston.tx.us/DRC/PC+Meeting+Calendar.nsf

Also, I'm pretty sure it does not mean they will start construction. I guess it's sort of going through the approval process for the city. Some people on the meeting agenda are there for variance requests, others for replats etc.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like they've installed a (say) quadruple-wide trailer on the site. There also appears to be some more grating action going on. I need to bring in the banocs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Help me to understand. Is METRO building an intermodal terminal for light rail that's under construction, and commuter rail that isn't even in the works? And is METRO having to cut back on light rail construction due to lack of funds? I'm confused. Seems like strange priorities.

Help me to understand. Is METRO building an intermodal terminal for light rail that's under construction, and commuter rail that isn't even in the works? And is METRO having to cut back on light rail construction due to lack of funds? I'm confused. Seems like strange priorities.

I think that it is all of the above.

• 2 weeks later...

The Intermodal Terminal (now the Burnett Plaza) will be built to accommodate light rail, commuter rail, AMTRAK and METRO buses and possibly things like private bus services in the future. It will be built in phases, however, so my guess is that the parts having to do w/ things like commuter rail won't be built until a later date since Houston doesn't have commuter rail yet. METRO's website basically says the phases will be built as funding becomes available.

As for light rail funding... the funding that has been promised is being delayed b/c of mistakes METRO made... this will lead to a delay in light rail construction. As long as they fix the mistakes they will still get the funding promised by the federal government. All 5 lines are still planned to be built it will just take longer to get them all built with the delay in funding.

• 3 months later...

Such a waste... I don't see the point in putting so much into a structure that will serve so little.

Not sure it's going to serve Amtrak.. Don't see why they'd go through the expense of adding track over a bayou and moving a station a couple hundred yards, all for a train that rolls through town 3 times a week.

It will serve 1 LRT line only, and buses..... and some CRT 15 yrs down the line, maybe.

The location is crappy.

I suggested this awhile back on the Post Office thread ....felt the idea bares reiterating on this thread.

Pitching this idea to see what opinions it will generate ...here goes.

What if Metro were to build their grand lil Intermodal Station on the Post Office site? Give the sites location, this might kick-start the commuter and light rail service to Katy and Cypress via the railroad tracks near Washington which end at the Post Office site. Amtrak is next door and they could probably be convinced into joining as well. And the Southeast Brown line could be extended from its end at Capitol & Louisiana to turn and head due north on Bagby to the Intermodal Station. And since the site is sandwiched in between two HOV ramps on either side, P&R Express busses headed North and West of the city could easily make a stop here as well. Add Greyhound and local bus service, as well as area cabs parked curb-side and this could be a serviceable Intermodal Station for the city ....located DOWNTOWN.

Best of all, if the Post Office still wants a new facility, they could build it on the site of Hardy Yards ...land swap with Metro.

Thoughts?

Archived