Houston Intermodal Transit Center

Lowbrow

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh, Metro will never do things right. It still boggles the mind when they still insist to run these trains on grade with the rest of traffic. You would think they would really do studies and consider perhaps Chicago's and New Yorks transportation successes. Oh well, after billions spent and years of headaches from construction and little actual use it just may catch on.

"Little actual use"?? Have you ever taken a look at ridership on the Red Line?

with greyhound owning their current facility, moving anywhere will cost them money which will be why they probably remain in midtown.

Couldn't they sell that property for a good chunk of money though?

I left a boxing match at the Hilton on Thursday night and caught the last train south. There were probably about 25-30 people on average while I was on it from Main Street Square to the TMC transit center.

gene060.jpg

Mind you, this was at midnight, when downtown is supposedly dead.

and have to purchase in an area with inflated prices? plus have to build a new facility. seems unlikely at least at this point.

:(

I was holding out hope based on this from the MetroSolutions site...

During earlier discussions, METRO also mentioned private bus companies and AMTRAK might also use this facility. Is that no longer the case?

This proposed facility is being designed so that it could accommodate other modes of transportation that could be phased into service, such as commuter rail, private bus carriers, and national passenger rail (AMTRAK). However, these facilities are not included in Phase I, and would not be constructed until funding and environmental clearances are in place.

and have to purchase in an area with inflated prices? plus have to build a new facility. seems unlikely at least at this point.

Actually I was thinking in terms of them moving into the intermodal facility that METRO would be using. Would that not be possible?

:(

I was holding out hope based on this from the MetroSolutions site...

During earlier discussions, METRO also mentioned private bus companies and AMTRAK might also use this facility. Is that no longer the case?

mentioned? might? sounds like it was never the case. more importantly the owner of the tracks still has not given a go for METRO to use them.

Yeah, our line gets quite a bit of use. During regular daytime hours it comes every six minutes, and if one is running a couple minutes late you get packed in like sardines, I assure you. As for objective standards, I think I read that ours is the highest ridership per mile for any light rail system.

I expect that to fall a bit once the new lines are deployed, but its still going to get a lot of riders.

Yeah, our line gets quite a bit of use. During regular daytime hours it comes every six minutes, and if one is running a couple minutes late you get packed in like sardines, I assure you. As for objective standards, I think I read that ours is the highest ridership per mile for any light rail system.

I expect that to fall a bit once the new lines are deployed, but its still going to get a lot of riders.

I don't know. Have you ever been on the Green Line T in Boston? That thing is packed, every train, all day long. It has to have way more ridership than Houston's one line.

2008 Q1 Light Rail Transit Ridership per day

Boston 267,400 10,528/Mi

San Fransisco 173,900 2,432

Los Angeles 130,900 2,350

Philadelphia 116,000 1,933

Portland, OR 103,800 2,359

San Diego 98,700 1,845

St. Louis 67,300 1,923

Denver 65,400 1,456

Dallas 62,000 1,680

Sacramento 52,400 1,139

Houston 39,800 2,095

San Jose 31,100 4,147

Sorry the formatting options suck, or I just don't know how to do tab-cols.

2008 Q1 Light Rail Transit Ridership per day

Boston 267,400

San Fransisco 173,900

Los Angeles 130,900

Philadelphia 116,000

Portland, OR 103,800

San Diego 98,700

St. Louis 67,300

Denver 65,400

Dallas 62,000

Sacramento 52,400

Houston 39,800

San Jose 31,100

As I said, highest ridership per mile. We have fewer riders than other cities because we only have one line.

I don't know, even if the University Line gets held up (no thanks to the NIMBYs) you're still going to have more people being brought into the Red Line corridor which provides the link to major employment areas - Downtown, TMC - plus the Museum District. I don't know that it'll drop necessarily.

Actually I was thinking in terms of them moving into the intermodal facility that METRO would be using. Would that not be possible?

Not only possible, but could be a good business move, as mentioned above. Greyhound sells some prime Midtown property for a big chunk of change, and leases several bus bays from Metro. Because it would be a METRO facility, security would be provided by METRO as well.

Not only possible, but could be a good business move, as mentioned above. Greyhound sells some prime Midtown property for a big chunk of change, and leases several bus bays from Metro. Because it would be a METRO facility, security would be provided by METRO as well.

I figure it would be good for METRO too, since it would provide revenue from the leased bays it otherwise would not get, as well as potentially more use of the light rail from Greyhound passengers. And with the station gone from Midtown, there's nowhere for it to go but up.

I think it's an all-win situation.

Well the new intermodal terminal is going to have to wait, for now we have the burnett station, a light rail station with four bus bays.

http://metrosolutions.org/posted/1068/Appendix_E_1_.200759.pdf

page 3 from the Suplimental Evironmental Impact Study.

Athough they are going to reroute main street, it does look like they are building the station with an eye to the future for the intermodal.

The area that is getting the fill sits between Chestnut and Gentry streets, which is east of the Burnett Station site. So, I think something else is going on.

We may be able to merge several threads together here.

I think this site, that they are working on, is for one the the new Obama Care Death camps. Perhaps we can get Gila Jackson Lee to comment on it since it will be in her district.

Well, not repaved. It was resealed and then restriped. I am looking at it right now.

Whichever. After it was resealed and before it was striped, it looked like a lake from my perspective.

Still nobody parking there today.

Archived