Houston Intermodal Transit Center

Lowbrow

I know, right? If we could have elevated rail like that all over town, I'd be down with it.

Elevated would be cool on Richmond and Post Oak.

Where did this rendering come from? What is the timeline?

This excites me because I can see this site from my window. The giant warehouse is gone, but the huge slab remains.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Elevated would be cool on Richmond and Post Oak.

Where did this rendering come from? What is the timeline?

This excites me because I can see this site from my window. The giant warehouse is gone, but the huge slab remains.

edit, here it is: http://www.eekarchitects.com/portfolio_pro...rojectID=127610

They also designed downtown square of whatever it's called; it's on their site

Now that's what I'm talkin bout! Thats a cool curvy building in the background. Defiantly not typical Houston, which is a good thing, looks similar to that building in LA (forgot the name). I can't believe the rails are elevated, and there are more that 2 rail cars on each train! This is how I have always said Houston's light rail development should be! Its not plain and boring, its a place that people would want to check out and experience Houston with out having to have a car. I have one question though, Are the elevated rails in the current plans?

Not to keep anybody's hopes up, but I don't think we've seen this rendering, and it looks pretty stinkin cool to me

46009_gardenviewLG.jpg

Love the elavated rail! I thought it kind of looked like legion of doom headquarters from Justice Leauge, just without all the doom and darkness. I have been watching a lot of cartoons lately maybe thats why. From the rendering it looks like it would be some thing just to ride on the rail and see whats up. Very Nice.

Now that's what I'm talkin bout! Thats a cool curvy building in the background. Defiantly not typical Houston, which is a good thing, looks similar to that building in LA (forgot the name).

The Walt Disney Concert Hall by Frank Gehry?

The Walt Disney Concert Hall by Frank Gehry?

Yeah, but now that I see a picture of it, not really. But they both have an abstract type of architecture to them. I like it. Its futuristic looking. You already know a lot of movies and music videos will want to have a scene their, especially since it will defiantly be a place that people look at and know its in Houston. Like people recognize Houston now by the Williams Tower , the Water Wall, and the Astrodome.

• 5 weeks later...
Did this one somehow squeak by the masses or have I been oblivious and missed a few things.

Intermodal Terminal, now called Burnett Plaza scheduled to break ground fall 2009?

http://www.metrosolutions.org/go/doc/1068/258949/

Groundbreaking dates with Metro should be taken with a grain of salt. This thing isn't breaking ground this year and probably won't break ground next year, either.

So how are they going to handle N.Main? Some renderings show the tunnel staying intact with the LR trains going overhead, while others show N. Main veering to the west of the current tunnel.

According to Metro's website:

METRO has modified the LRT alignment which moves the LRT bridge structure to the east side of the tunnel. This will allow the Hernandez Tunnel to remain open, until a future date when a Main Street by-pass located to the west of Main Street is constructed. The by-pass will go over the existing UPRR tracks.

How could they build this intermodal station if they don't know what modes it will be servicing? I guess they leave empty room for future expansion.

Not really so difficult when you think about it ;-)

From Metro's website:

This proposed facility is being designed so that it could accommodate other modes of transportation that could be phased into service, such as commuter rail, private bus carriers, and national passenger rail (AMTRAK). However, these facilities are not included in Phase I, and would not be constructed until funding and environmental clearances are in place.

According to Metro's website:

METRO has modified the LRT alignment which moves the LRT bridge structure to the east side of the tunnel. This will allow the Hernandez Tunnel to remain open, until a future date when a Main Street by-pass located to the west of Main Street is constructed. The by-pass will go over the existing UPRR tracks.

Where on Main is this Hernandez Tunnel? My curiousity has peaked, I've never heard of it before. What does it go under?

Where on Main is this Hernandez Tunnel? My curiousity has peaked, I've never heard of it before. What does it go under?

it's just north of UH downtown named after a judge. it's old and you've probably driven through before.3564512267_4f11a7a64f.jpg?v=0

• 2 weeks later...
it's just north of UH downtown named after a judge. it's old and you've probably driven through before.3564512267_4f11a7a64f.jpg?v=0

Ah, it goes under the railroad tracks. I'm sure I've driven through there, but never considered it a tunnel and had a special name.

• 1 month later...

It looks like they are bring dirt onto the site.

Yep, they are taking dirt from the new Houston Ballet site downtown to the Intermodal site. The area that they are working on is actually outside of the area on the plan. So, not sure what is going on.

Another rendering:

629.jpg

That looks rather insane for a bus terminal. What about all the bus fumes filling up that concourse? How will it stay clean? It may look exciting but I don't think that it is too practical

That looks rather insane for a bus terminal. What about all the bus fumes filling up that concourse? How will it stay clean? It may look exciting but I don't think that it is too practical

Been to the (Penn station?) Bus terminal? That place is INSANE. I should have taken pics. :(

It's kinda' what Metro will need to build eventually. Anyway, I think they can build it, and as long as the airflow is well maintained, they can keep it clean.

Ugh, Metro will never do things right. It still boggles the mind when they still insist to run these trains on grade with the rest of traffic. You would think they would really do studies and consider perhaps Chicago's and New Yorks transportation successes. Oh well, after billions spent and years of headaches from construction and little actual use it just may catch on.

I don't really see a problem with the current LRT line where it runs through Downtown/Midtown. There's something to be said for being able to get on and off without going up or down into an el-train or subway station. Being at-grade is more a problem on the other side of Hermann Park, especially at the Med Center.

Archived