Damn, it's HOT

rsb320

A couple of pages ago, someone asked if this heat wave was similar to 1980, and we universally decided at that time that it wasn't. Well, after setting a record every day this week, after 4 straight days over 100 degrees, and with predictions of 100 for at least the next two days, it may be time to revisit 1980. June 1980 had 8 days of 100 degrees or more. June 2009 seems destined to have 6 or more. To put it in historical context, only 17 days in June have reached 100 degrees since 1937, with 12 either in 1980 or this year.

Yeah, it's starting to feel a bit like 1980.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Chronicle stole my post!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6500043.html

So far, this June is only .2 degrees behind June 1980 as the hottest ever. If we simply reach the predicted high temperatures for the next 4 days, it will be the hottest June ever. It is also almost the driest.

You beat me to it while I was uploading images.

260xStory.jpg

File photo

Construction worker David Booker, 18, found relief with a splash of water while working on Houston's Smith Street in 1980.

They don't make construction workers like they used to, eh?

On a side note, it poured at my place near the Medical Center yesterday... it was so great to see rain.... I ran around outside like a little kid... then ran back inside when I almost got struck by lightning. :blush:

It did?

I got thunder but no rain here just down Main, on the other side of 610.

A couple of pages ago, someone asked if this heat wave was similar to 1980, and we universally decided at that time that it wasn't. Well, after setting a record every day this week, after 4 straight days over 100 degrees, and with predictions of 100 for at least the next two days, it may be time to revisit 1980. June 1980 had 8 days of 100 degrees or more. June 2009 seems destined to have 6 or more. To put it in historical context, only 17 days in June have reached 100 degrees since 1937, with 12 either in 1980 or this year.

Yeah, it's starting to feel a bit like 1980.

Yeah, I mentioned 1980 in the original post of this thread. We've even been breaking 1980 records the past week. Hopefully, we'll get our 30% precip later today.

7:39 PM and big old fat raindrops are falling. This is what we need; some rain every other evening or so for the next month. We water with sprinklers, not firehoses - all a huge storm will do is run into the gutters after the first few inches.

:D:D:D = Porchman for the last hour.

7:39 PM and big old fat raindrops are falling. This is what we need; some rain every other evening or so for the next month. We water with sprinklers, not firehoses - all a huge storm will do is run into the gutters after the first few inches.

How sad are we, we feel like LA peeps now.

You didn't get rain!? It really appeared that big parts of the storm lay west of us and were moving south.

Oh no no no, I got rain, happily.

I was just commenting that as Houstonians, who USUALLY get rain on a regular basis, the fact that we went over a month without it, and when we do get it, we get excited about it.

Wow, pretty sure the rain just went AROUND this area of Montrose/Upper Kirby. Joy... At least we saw some clouds and heard thunder :)

Edit: I don't expect it to last long, but man is it nice to finally hear some rain on the roof!

Oh no no no, I got rain, happily.

I was just commenting that as Houstonians, who USUALLY get rain on a regular basis, the fact that we went over a month without it, and when we do get it, we get excited about it.

Oh, OK. I can relate. I stood out on the porch (go figure) for about an hour just grinning.

Still raining; a nice slow gentle drizzle. I showed my husband the parade of toads hopping across the patio - I counted 22! This is how my grandfather in Brownsville would get me to stick to bedtime on rainy summer evenings - "The toads are coming out to dance, but they won't while you're watching, so you'd better get to bed!" :lol:

pouring on se side......ground is absorbing it all!

I had NWS radar up and could see it coming, but then it parted at I-10 and missed Montrose/Westmoreland (a few sprinkles).

I could see your lightening, Music. <_< And, I could see dark clouds and lightening to the west too. <_<

It was raining nicely (and water collecting in the streets) around Kirby/Richmond, but when I made it back to the Reliant ghetto, it was as dry as a bone :(

Nice lightning show, though..

pouring on se side......ground is absorbing it all!

Dang! I watched that damn cloud sit right over your hood for over an hour! Here on Walker St we got 15 minutes of drizzle that barely wet the grass, and maybe 10 minutes of rain. Still, it was nice to sit on the porch in the wind and drizzle.

Dang! I watched that damn cloud sit right over your hood for over an hour! Here on Walker St we got 15 minutes of drizzle that barely wet the grass, and maybe 10 minutes of rain. Still, it was nice to sit on the porch in the wind and drizzle.

from the news it looked like it was mostly east of s wayside. hopefully tomorrow it'll be more widespread. good time for a weak tropical storm perhaps.

from the news it looked like it was mostly east of s wayside. hopefully tomorrow it'll be more widespread. good time for a weak tropical storm perhaps.

I drove through it at 7:00 pm on I-45 north of the loop. It came down so hard that traffic slowed to about 25 mph. I hope some of it hit my house. Haven't been back home to see yet.

Man are you guys lucky... Out here where the vortex of hell looms we got dark clouds and lightning, but nothing wet. We're now at six weeks without rain here.

Where?

I had NWS radar up and could see it coming, but then it parted at I-10 and missed Montrose/Westmoreland (a few sprinkles).

I could see your lightening, Music. <_< And, I could see dark clouds and lightening to the west too. <_<

Like last Thursday...we were at the Menil. There was lot of thunder, yet no rain.

Archived