Sign in to follow this  
rsb320

Damn, it's HOT

A good soaking watering once a week is better than 30 minutes several times a week. During a drought like this, you'd probably need to water more than once a week, but it needs to be for 1 to 2 hours, not 30 minutes. The problem with the shallow watering is that it encourages roots to stay near the surface instead of reaching deeper.

I tend to water every other day for about 30 minutes. Like I said, my front looks wonderful compared to the neighbors (they seem to have just given up and let the sun do what it may). Honestly, I am much more concerned with my plants than my grass.

I've used the sprinkler and watered by hand, usually for an hour or so. Most areas in my front yard look great, but there are 2 spots where it's brown. I think those are the spots that get the most sun, others get the shade from 2 trees and the house at different times.

Watering is also the best way to entertain an 18 month old for as long as you're willing to watch her. She thinks it's the greatest thing ever. I think we'll do it again tomorrow morning, last time was yesterday evening. I know to avoid the high sun because it'll just burn things, so I try to do it before 10 or after 6.

WxBoy - the pool at my plex is already becoming luke warm. We were just joking earlier about everybody getting bags of ice to throw in.

I must say though, that the evenings have been nice with the low humidity and nice breeze. I did notice the humidities seemed to creep up today.

(From a previous conversation on humidity levels vs. humidities, etc. Spell check don't like it! -_- )

I agree. I have definitely noticed lately that the evenings are extremely pleasant once the sun starts going down and the dry breezes begin to blow.

But I'd rather it rain. It's JUNE for crying out loud - where are my afternoon storms?

But I'd rather it rain. It's JUNE for crying out loud - where are my afternoon storms?

I got a few raindrops in downtown Galveston a few hours ago out of what was blowing in from the Gulf. I doubt they made it very far inland, though.

I got a few raindrops in downtown Galveston a few hours ago out of what was blowing in from the Gulf. I doubt they made it very far inland, though.

It didn't.... went into Galveston Bay and pretty much dissipated.

On a side note, some of the forecast models are hinting at maybe a break in the heat wave finally... maybe towards next weekend... may get us back to at least "normal" temperatures... we will see.

I played golf today, it really wasn't that bad. Some clouds, more than lately, and a solid breeze the whole time. If I'm planning on being outside for a good while and expect to sweat it doesn't bother me near as much as sweating in my work clothes going from car to door.

I played golf today, it really wasn't that bad. Some clouds, more than lately, and a solid breeze the whole time. If I'm planning on being outside for a good while and expect to sweat it doesn't bother me near as much as sweating in my work clothes going from car to door.

There were definitely a good number of clouds early afternoon when I woke up (not lazy, worked night shift overnight)... they seemed to dissipate a great deal by late afternoon.

There were definitely a good number of clouds early afternoon when I woke up (not lazy, worked night shift overnight)... they seemed to dissipate a great deal by late afternoon.

Hey Htownwxboy, looking at the mos numbers, i think it may be under doing it a bit. This is going by memory and it is almost 2am, but i wanna say heights were to approach 594 and 850mb temps pushing 24-26 degrees...we could all see temps WELL into the hundreds by Wednesday and Thursday as the ridge retrogrades into west Texas.

With a northerly flow (whether it be NE, N or NW), this would provide our first 20% chance of rain we've seen in a while by Monday of NEXT week...not tomorrow. I'm not looking for much. I believe the NAM did advertise a weak cool front, but won't bet the farm 'til right before. I'm playing the snow card on rain at the moment meaning I'm not going to put it in the forecast 'til I see rain falling from they sky.

As a disclaimer, I absolutely LOATHE the heat.

Edited by wxman

Hey Htownwxboy, looking at the mos numbers, i think it may be under doing it a bit. This is going by memory and it is almost 2am, but i wanna say heights were to approach 594 and 850mb temps pushing 24-26 degrees...we could all see temps WELL into the hundreds by Wednesday and Thursday as the ridge retrogrades into west Texas.

With a northerly flow (whether it be NE, N or NW), this would provide our first 20% chance of rain we've seen in a while by Monday of NEXT week...not tomorrow. I'm not looking for much. I believe the NAM did advertise a weak cool front, but won't bet the farm 'til right before. I'm playing the snow card on rain at the moment meaning I'm not going to put it in the forecast 'til I see rain falling from they sky.

As a disclaimer, I absolutely LOATHE the heat.

Yea I saw earlier today the ECMWF had 850 temps to around 28C for Thursday... that would put us well over 100F... it's going to be HOT HOT HOT! Any break in the heat won't come until AT LEAST next weekend / early NEXT week... we shall see. I spoke with my family up in the Northeast again today and they are miserable... nothing but cold and rainy weather up there... we are getting the opposite!

How many days has it been that we've had temps in the upper 90's? Also, I can't remember our last rain and none is in the forecast for the foreseeable future. How far behind are we on rainfall?

I guess the saving grace is that the humidity has been running on the lower end at 40% +/-.

Anybody remember the summer of '79 or 80 when it was so hot that the roads started buckling?

I hate this hot weather too. We need RAID to get rid of this high pressure ridge. It is like a cockroach, it keeps coming back. The summer of 1980 was very hot and also Hurricane Allen made landfall in South Texas. It almost made landfall as a Category 5.

It's a toss-up for me. I hate raging heat and high electric/water bills, but I don't have to pace the floor wondering if the sprinkler is going to flood our house. :unsure: I like the soft summer rains I remember from ages ago; the kind all the kids would go out and splash around in. I'm tired of psycho killer clown monsoons.

It's a toss-up for me. I hate raging heat and high electric/water bills, but I don't have to pace the floor wondering if the sprinkler is going to flood our house. :unsure: I like the soft summer rains I remember from ages ago; the kind all the kids would go out and splash around in. I'm tired of psycho killer clown monsoons.

Not necessarily so, grasshopper. I turned on my sprinkler last night 8ish, and at 8 this morning discovered I had forgotten to turn it off. OK, it didn't come anywhere near flooding my house, but there is about 6 inches of MY water in the ditch going several houses up both directions. And it was still there moments ago, so it had to have soaked the ground before rising. :mellow:

I have a digital thermometer that is placed in the shade (all day), and it has registered over 100 degrees for the last 12 days. Of course I'm sure it's prone to error, but it's damn hot here in Katy. Not a drop of rain in almost a month.

Is it me or is this a really hot June?

I was wondering. Last summer it was dry until Ike. Do prior conditions matter for a Hurricane to form? Do land conditions matter when a hurricane nears land fall? If it's dry, will one already formed have a better chance of coming our way?

I was wondering. Last summer it was dry until Ike. Do prior conditions matter for a Hurricane to form? Do land conditions matter when a hurricane nears land fall? If it's dry, will one already formed have a better chance of coming our way?

It would have to be one hell of a hurricane to make it through the high we over us right now.

Emme: Whoops! Did that before we put in the backyard deck and converted a dining-room window to a French door! :blush: Thankfully, our oldest dog always has to go before bedtime, so I can't miss the sprinkler anymore.

I swear I remember something about a high pressure ridge keeping Katrina from coming any further west in 2005 or is that just a weather legend?

Emme: Whoops! Did that before we put in the backyard deck and converted a dining-room window to a French door! :blush: Thankfully, our oldest dog always has to go before bedtime, so I can't miss the sprinkler anymore.

I swear I remember something about a high pressure ridge keeping Katrina from coming any further west in 2005 or is that just a weather legend?

I remember there was some weather system that kept Katrina from hitting us.

It would have to be one hell of a hurricane to make it through the high we over us right now.

Hot gulf water feeds the tropical storms/hurricanes. The hotter the water, the bigger the system. Can the air heat effect that? Thinking yeah, but not knowing it.

Hot gulf water feeds the tropical storms/hurricanes. The hotter the water, the bigger the system. Can the air heat effect that? Thinking yeah, but not knowing it.

A high pressure system pushes low pressure systems away. That's why we haven't had any rain.

Edit: provided that the high pressure system is as strong as what we have right now.

Edited by Gary

A high pressure system pushes low pressure systems away. That's why we haven't had any rain.

Edit: provided that the high pressure system is as strong as what we have right now.

but it was really dry last summer too?

According to the Chronicle weather archives, we had a dry June & July 2008, but precipitation was about 4" above average for August and the yearly total was close to the average. Date I checked was the 22nd for each month, and Ike hit September 12. No expert, but I think it will depend more on conditions nearer to the formation of the storm than early in the season. Anything can happen between now and August-September, which is peak hurricane time for our area. I keep hearing that El Nino is supposed to show up between June-August and lessen chances for an Atlantic hurricane.

but it was really dry last summer too?

True, but we didn't have the same type of system over us when the hurricane hit us. If I'm not mistaken we had a relatively weak high pressure system at the time. Nothing like this one.

It appears that most folks in the Heights are off the hook for watering yards tonight. We had an OK rain over most of the area.

It appears that most folks in the Heights are off the hook for watering yards tonight. We had an OK rain over most of the area.

Yeah, I saw the rain over The Heights while coming into town yesterday afternoon. I'm jealous. Right now it's 99.5 degrees in Katy with no rain in site.

101 today so far!

We hit 102.6 today (about 4:30 pm) according to my thermometer, and brother stuff is dying. The trees that TXDOT planted along the Katy Freeway are dying in droves as well.

At least it hasn't been humid, or at least not during the hottest parts of the day. I was walking downtown in the shade of the buildings and it felt quite pleasant out there.

Now what we need is some rain.

We hit 102.6 today (about 4:30 pm) according to my thermometer, and brother stuff is dying. The trees that TXDOT planted along the Katy Freeway are dying in droves as well.

It's hit 100 almost every day the past week or two in my car. It seems everyones thermometers are say 100 except for the tv stations.

It's hit 100 almost every day the past week or two in my car. It seems everyones thermometers are say 100 except for the tv stations.

Frank said that it was 101 yesterday.

I know what you mean though. You can go to weather.com or accuweather.com and put in your zip and it'll say 93 - NOT!

Ours said 100 yesterday at 5:30 and it's under 3' deep eaves. Hasn't felt too bad in the mornings before 10 or so. Maybe I've just got my summer tolerance sooner than normal this year.

Edited by Native Montrosian

editor, it's doesn't look like the haif temp up top is working properly. when you go to the 39weather site it says 100.

13 is saying that so far we've reached 104 today breaking the all time record for june!

Edited by musicman

Already in the low 90s as of 9:00 am this morning... yesterday at 10:00 am we were at 89F... could easily reach yesterday's 104F and possibly top it today! B)

Already in the low 90s as of 9:00 am this morning... yesterday at 10:00 am we were at 89F... could easily reach yesterday's 104F and possibly top it today! B)

At my house in Cypress I have a digital thermometer in the shade. It was still 97 F at 8:30 last night. :o

The "For Sale" sign in the front yard is the only thing keeping the grass alive.

Edited by CDeb

At my house in Cypress I have a digital thermometer in the shade. It was still 97 F at 8:30 last night. :o

The "For Sale" sign in the front yard is the only thing keeping the grass alive.

I noticed that it didn't cool down last night. What happened to our nice evening breezes? It was so still and sauna-esc.

I noticed that it didn't cool down last night. What happened to our nice evening breezes? It was so still and sauna-esc.

We had clouds push in overnight which is one reason we did not cool off as much overnight.

11:00 am... 97F at IAH... 4 degrees ahead of yesterday.... clouds building east of Harris County... could it get hot enough for a bit of convection?? :unsure:

Right now my thermometer (digital and in the shade) is reading 100.2. I'm going to try an experiment in a bit by placing the thermometer in the sun.

11:00 am... 97F at IAH... 4 degrees ahead of yesterday.... clouds building east of Harris County... could it get hot enough for a bit of convection?? :unsure:

You know it looks like the models hit it head on. I mean the gfs ( http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=kiah ) has held on to the hundreds run after run after run. I knew it was going to be hot with 850 temps pushing 28 degrees. OUCH! Record set yesterday at the Big Airport of 104 and CLL of 105. Clouds thickening up and may see some showers thanks to a backdoor front, but I'm not hanging my hat on anything. If we do have any shower development, we may see some micro subsidence on the fringes which could help heat things up as well. Air can't rise everywhere! We could very well see temps of 104 to 107 across the area today. HtownWxBoy...check your pm.

Ok, I'm no weather guru, but after sticking my thermometer in the sun it read 155 degrees. Certainly that's not the heat index?

Ok, I'm no weather guru, but after sticking my thermometer in the sun it read 155 degrees. Certainly that's not the heat index?

Not even remotely close. I think we'd combust. Heat index may top 108 degrees today. Remember that water has a high heat capacity. Meaning it takes a lot of warming to change just one degree. The drier the air is, the more heat it can hold. Days that we top out at 96 degrees with 80% humidity are the ones that are far more unbearable than days over a hundred because in order for us to get that hot, the humidity has to be extremely low. I don't know about you all, but I sweat very little yesterday. It's a desert heat. Feels like an oven. You know it's hot, but it's tolerable.

I'd like to add that any heat index over 105 is considered dangerous. You can dehydrate very quickly and not even know it. Just keep that in the back of your mind....

Not even remotely close. I think we'd combust. Heat index may top 108 degrees today. Remember that water has a high heat capacity. Meaning it takes a lot of warming to change just one degree. The drier the air is, the more heat it can hold. Days that we top out at 96 degrees with 80% humidity are the ones that are far more unbearable than days over a hundred because in order for us to get that hot, the humidity has to be extremely low. I don't know about you all, but I sweat very little yesterday. It's a desert heat. Feels like an oven. You know it's hot, but it's tolerable.

I'd like to add that any heat index over 105 is considered dangerous. You can dehydrate very quickly and not even know it. Just keep that in the back of your mind....

I figured it was bogus. As much as I hate humidty I now wish it would return. My tropical plants are having a very hard time right now, even while keeping them watered.

Edit: I'm now registering 103.1 in the shade.

Edited by Gary

It looks like some clouds have moved in and the temp is dropping somewhat. Also, there appears to be a shower over on the east end.

While window gazing, I noticed something is on fire to the north of DT.

It looks like some clouds have moved in and the temp is dropping somewhat. Also, there appears to be a shower over on the east end.

Clouds? I haven't seen a cloud out here in BFE for two weeks. Consequently, and I think I may have mentioned it earlier, much of the trees that TXDOT planted on the Katy are dead.