Damn, it's HOT

rsb320

How many days has it been that we've had temps in the upper 90's? Also, I can't remember our last rain and none is in the forecast for the foreseeable future. How far behind are we on rainfall?

I guess the saving grace is that the humidity has been running on the lower end at 40% +/-.

Anybody remember the summer of '79 or 80 when it was so hot that the roads started buckling?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll take this over 93 plus 80% humidity ANY day.

It's been hot, but nothing like the humid heat. I think it's actually not that bad. Kind of nice

call me crazy

you are crazy. do you work inside mostly ? :)

flipper

I'll take this over 93 plus 80% humidity ANY day.

It's been hot, but nothing like the humid heat. I think it's actually not that bad. Kind of nice

call me crazy

We've been calling you crazy for quite some time.

I remember 80, that was the year that dad finally decided to get an air conditioner.

June is supposed to be one of our wettest (Rainy-er?) months. In fact, I remember about 6 years ago how it rained EVERY DAY in June and the clouds literally disappeared on July 1st!

Our rain deficit is significant, but I don't have the numbers off hand (WXMan might).

It's the dryness that's oppressive. Everything brown and crunchy, yuk. I must be a true gulf coast crazy person, because I would like some humidity back to go with the heat.

20th st dad, I understand your feelings about the sun. I love the sun, but unfortunately my skin, which came from the melanoma-prone Irish part of the gene pool, does not. Summer is an endless dance of protective hats, shirts, and sunscreen application. I'm already on my third container of spray-on SPF 70.

How many days has it been that we've had temps in the upper 90's? Also, I can't remember our last rain and none is in the forecast for the foreseeable future. How far behind are we on rainfall?

I guess the saving grace is that the humidity has been running on the lower end at 40% +/-.

Anybody remember the summer of '79 or 80 when it was so hot that the roads started buckling?

I remember EXACTLY when it last rained. I just tore down my garage, so I need to store a few of the big items, like my lawnmower, that could not go in the house. I bought a couple of tarps and tied them to my deck arbor to protect the stuff from the rain. Not 30 minutes later, a front came through with 35 mph wind gusts. I wondered if the tarps would hold, but they were fine. Hasn't rained since. The day was Sunday, May 24, at 3:15pm. It was over 20 minutes later.

I was working at the Exxon refinery in 1980 during the heat wave. This is no comparison. Whereas 1980 had something like 20 consecutive days over 100, this streak has not had a day over 98, and only 6 days have gone over 95. Of course, it just happens to be the last 6. :(

I guess it's not so crazy to like lower humidity. The mornings and evenings have been pretty nice while that blazing sun is down. It's still getting down in the 70's at night. I hate when you wake up and it's in the 80's with about 90% humidity - but... we have that coming. Yuck!

I'm also really surprised that the air quality is in the good range. I thought hot weather like this caused increased ozone.

We've been calling you crazy for quite some time.

lol!

I will admit that it's bad inside the car, but it's quite refreshing once I step outside my office building. Yall just wait. Remember these days when humidity is high and it's only 92-93. You'll be remembering the good 'ol day.s

Get used to it... the weather pattern we are in isn't going anywhere at least in the next week... only good thing about this is that it's been great pool / tanning weather... I am really getting some good color!!! B)

Get used to it... the weather pattern we are in isn't going anywhere at least in the next week... only good thing about this is that it's been great pool / tanning weather... I am really getting some good color!!! B)

:D Which color of the rainbow are you becoming? :lol:

I just went out by the pool and it's soooo nice with the sun going down and all.

WxBoy, is there an explanation as to why the OZ is low and air quality good? Also, the pollens are moderate. WTF is messing with my sinuses?

I just went out by the pool and it's soooo nice with the sun going down and all.

WxBoy, is there an explanation as to why the OZ is low and air quality good? Also, the pollens are moderate. WTF is messing with my sinuses?

Yeah, it sucks....!!! I was in LA and it was bearly 70 degrees out!!! We had to buy cheap sweaters!

Last year or the year before our average high in July was right around 90, low for history, because it rained every day. That was the best summer ever. Ok I looked it up, July 2007, average high was 89.7 (10 inches of rain), it only got in the 90s on 16 of 31 days. Typically it's 94 for July with 3.18 inches of rain.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx/climate/iah/2007/jul07iah.txt

I like the dryness because I can do windows down on the morning commute, but my body doesn't like it. I went running yesterday and had to stop, not because I was tired, but because my body and head go so hot. It was weird. That doesn't happen on normal summer days for me.

Tim Heller (Ch. 13 - wears the straight pants, according to Crunch ^_^ ) says we have a chance of rain on Saturday...the 27th :o . I'm not kidding.

This is one of those really bad periods we go through. The trees in the neighborhood look really sad.

I'm also really surprised that the air quality is in the good range. I thought hot weather like this caused increased ozone.

Wind. The high front which is locking in the heat and locking out the moisture is generating a good breeze. The skyline views are great.

Back in 80 I was humping up and down utility poles for GTE in League City. by 9am my leather belt was sweat soaked.

There was a fellow on the crew how had just moved from upper "snow belt" New York state. Talk about suffering!

WVK

Tan!! :P

As for ozone... I don't really do a lot of work with regard to ozone and air quality forecasts... but I am sure the nice afternoon breezes we have been having is helping keep the air a bit cleaner than one would suspect with such hot and dry weather. We will continue to get some nice 10-20 mph winds off of the Gulf each afternoon over at least the next few days.

Greeat weather. Having Fun with the Sunroof open and Sunglasses on in my Aspen (s.u.v). Hitting the beach in Galveston for the weekend. B) I don't know if you guys know but the Seawall in Galveston is packed during the weekend and holidays in the Summer/Spring months. :)

But...the drought is returning unfortunaetly...

Also, no improvement expected soon... :(

I kinda like the game of running from my car to inside or from inside to my car. I fee like I am dodging gamma rays from the sun or something.

Of course my AC has been running non-stop for the last two weeks and I REALLY don't want to see my new bill.

Worst part to me is having to water my damn yard. I HATE watering my yard in a city whose annual rainfall averages about an inch of rain a week (50" per year).

I've watered the yard twice this week. The alternative is what happened to me last summer when I didn't water, and ended up with dead St. Augustine. I suppose a better alternative would be to replant with buffalo grass. I wonder how bahia grass would look? :)

Month-to-date precipitation: 0.00 inches. None in the 10 day forecast. I wonder if that would be a record? I know it would suck.

Yup. A record, driest June. The current record is 0.08 that was set in June of 2005(?). We may hit 100 next week!

Archived