Game's People Play Park On FM 1960

token2k6

Hi everyone, I'm not an architect (my college roommate/friend is though, at aTm!) but I've noticed that you guys sometimes mention the now defunct Game's People Play on 1960. This was an iconic part of my childhood as well, as I often remember going by it all the time when going to the Champion's Country Club Pool. I also remember getting to go there a couple of times.

I started a Wikipedia entry to somehow cement this in history, however, my first mistake was taking a google satellite view of the place (which is still clearly visible and crazy to see) I got around that, however, my article has no references and may or may not be notable. the only search engine links are to forum entries, which may not justify itself as a reference. I could use newspapers, but I haven't made it to a library (what are those these days anyway?)

Check it out at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_People_...(amusement_park). If anybody is more wiki savy than me or thinks they could help, go for it!!

• Like 1

Certain people continued to sneak inside Games People Play long after it had closed. ;) It opened in 1982, though. I think it was open into the early 90s, but not positive. I will edit.

Thanks for the info! that is awesome people still went inside there... I don't know why, but I've just become fasinated with remembering these places all through out town. It seems like with the recent news of Six Flags demise, parks of any size might not have a bright future...

I've also done a wiki entry on Castle Golf and Games if anyone wants to check that out.

The million dollar question is: there was a small amusement place along I-45, near Airtex / Kuykendahl (I think where all those restaurants now are (Zio's, etc.), near the Ethan Allen and furniture stores) Anyway, this place had batting cages, peddle boats and a bright big top tent / canopy on the structure that was always clearly visible from the freeway. It remained defunt for quite a few years after it shut down. Does anyone remember the name of that one?

• Like 1

Remember ladies and gentlemen, trespassing even on decades-long disused land is a crime, but if you do trespass, trespass from Welcome Lane where nobody is watching. ;)

Also worth mention is Malibu Grand Prix which is now Malibu Lagoon

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 1

The million dollar question is: there was a small amusement place along I-45, near Airtex / Kuykendahl (I think where all those restaurants now are (Zio's, etc.), near the Ethan Allen and furniture stores) Anyway, this place had batting cages, peddle boats and a bright big top tent / canopy on the structure that was always clearly visible from the freeway. It remained defunt for quite a few years after it shut down. Does anyone remember the name of that one?

That may have been Celebration Station, but I seem to remember it being at Rankin & 45. I'm not exactly sure when that opened or when it closed though.

The other park on 45 was Malibu~Watercoaster, which was the same general area, but about twenty years earlier. I have some great memories from both the Watercoaster and the Games People Play on 1960.

Regards,

Rhino

• Like 1

Thanks for the info! that is awesome people still went inside there... I don't know why, but I've just become fasinated with remembering these places all through out town. It seems like with the recent news of Six Flags demise, parks of any size might not have a bright future...

I've also done a wiki entry on Castle Golf and Games if anyone wants to check that out.

Are you referring to the small amusement park that used to be located where Splash Town is today? I can't remember the name of it to save my life. It was there in the 70's I believe. I also remember Games People Play. It was open I want to say up 'til 1993 or 1994. Went there a many a times. Nothing but a vague memory now. If i'm not mistaken, the lot where it was is still vacant and overgrown with brush. For the longest time, you could see the old putt putt course. When I see the Discount Tire sign, I know to start looking. I believe Discount Tire is right next door.

Edited by wxman
  • Like 1

Are you referring to the small amusement park that used to be located where Splash Town is today? I can't remember the name of it to save my life. It was there in the 70's I believe. I also remember Games People Play. It was open I want to say up 'til 1993 or 1994. Went there a many a times. Nothing but a vague memory now. If i'm not mistaken, the lot where it was is still vacant and overgrown with brush. For the longest time, you could see the old putt putt course. When I see the Discount Tire sign, I know to start looking. I believe Discount Tire is right next door.

No, unfortunately it wasn't where Splash Town used to be (wasn't that only ever Hanna Barbera Land?) nor was it where Celebration Station was. This place would be closer to where the AMC (now a Movie Tavern) and Corvette of Houston is. It was almost directly across from Pappasitos or the big Chinese restaurant is. It was on one side of an overpass... The landscape of I-45 has changed so much and I don't think this place even made it into the 1990's, I'm sorry if I'm being vague... but if RhinoVP says it was Malibu-Watercoaster, that's probably it...

Yeah, like I said, you should look at the ol' Games People Play lot on a satellite view, you can still see the layout of almost everything! I want to go by there in person now!!

• Like 1

Also worth mention is Malibu Grand Prix which is now Malibu Lagoon

Was that a joke? I'm just wondering when that big pond of water is going to become stagnant. I wish I knew what they were doing over there...remodeling? using it as extra storage? I wanna say a company around there just bought the property and is storing/laying stuff out there. They do take deliveries or something b/c you can drive right in thru an open gate and around to the back. But I wouldn't advise that, b/c when I did that, I quickly got told to leave!

• Like 1

No, unfortunately it wasn't where Splash Town used to be (wasn't that only ever Hanna Barbera Land?) nor was it where Celebration Station was. This place would be closer to where the AMC (now a Movie Tavern) and Corvette of Houston is. It was almost directly across from Pappasitos or the big Chinese restaurant is. It was on one side of an overpass... The landscape of I-45 has changed so much and I don't think this place even made it into the 1990's, I'm sorry if I'm being vague... but if RhinoVP says it was Malibu-Watercoaster, that's probably it...

Yeah, like I said, you should look at the ol' Games People Play lot on a satellite view, you can still see the layout of almost everything! I want to go by there in person now!!

I know what place you are talking about. It was on the feeder road of 45 south in between 1960 and Rankin. It had some sort of big top, an animal farm, and I can't remember what else. This was not where Celebration Station or Splashtown (Hanna Barbara Land) stood. It closed in the late 80s or very early 90s. It was kinda like that place that used to be by Astroworld that had the pony rides...it think it was Kiddieland or Peppermint Park, something like that...I may be waaaaay off about the name...

Edited by cosmic08
  • Like 1

There was also a Games People Play in the Sharpstown area too. We called it "The Arcade". I think it was at Beechnut and Fondren. It had video games and a Putt Putt. I remember a kid was died there in the 80's. He was missing and they found his body several days later in the field by it. No foul play if I recall.

• Like 1

There was also a Games People Play location off of F.M. 1960 on Kuykendahl Rd. It was close to Steubner Airline Drive. An old family friend and her husband were the property managers / maintenance managers plus my boss used to work there when he was a teenager.

Remember when the Chuck E. Cheese at the corner of Kuykendahl and 1960 was a Showbiz Pizza Place?

• Like 1

token,

Has your Wiki page been deleted? I've tried to view it several times, but don't get anything but a missing page message.

Now about the park on 45 - If the place your remembering had pony rides, then it wasn't Malibu~Watercoaster. Cosmic made a good point, that it may have very well been a place like Pepermint park or something there like. I kinda remember one up there, but where has long been forgoten.

• Like 1

I remember a big arcade in that area, but I don't remember it having batting cages and boats.

• Like 1

That may have been Celebration Station, but I seem to remember it being at Rankin & 45. I'm not exactly sure when that opened or when it closed though.

The other park on 45 was Malibu~Watercoaster, which was the same general area, but about twenty years earlier. I have some great memories from both the Watercoaster and the Games People Play on 1960.

Regards,

Rhino

It was Celebration Station.

The Malibu and Watercoaster were further south at North Freeway at North Shepherd. Both opened in 1979. The Malibu lasted longer than the Watercoaster. Wasted plenty of lawn mowing money there as a 14 and 15 year old.

Edited by Firebird65
  • Like 1

It was Celebration Station.

The Malibu and Watercoaster were further south at North Freeway at North Shepherd. Both opened in 1979. The Malibu lasted longer than the Watercoaster. Wasted plenty of lawn mowing money there as a 14 and 15 year old.

I don't recall a "watercoaster" but the site the OP is asking about was definitely not Celebration Station. It didn't come along until much later. I remember taking batting practice in elementary school at the park mentioned by the OP. But Celebration Station wasn't built until I was in high school, if not later. I also think the OPs site is further south than Celebration Station, closer to Richie.

• Like 1

I don't recall a "watercoaster" but the site the OP is asking about was definitely not Celebration Station. It didn't come along until much later. I remember taking batting practice in elementary school at the park mentioned by the OP. But Celebration Station wasn't built until I was in high school, if not later. I also think the OPs site is further south than Celebration Station, closer to Richie.

It was not Celebration Station. I went to this "Peppermint Park"-like place once when I was a kid and yep, there were batting cages. I am 99% sure it was on the 45S feeder road in between 1960 and Richey Rd. You can't even tell it existed now...there are no signs of anything left.

• Like 1

It was not Celebration Station. I went to this "Peppermint Park"-like place once when I was a kid and yep, there were batting cages. I am 99% sure it was on the 45S feeder road in between 1960 and Richey Rd. You can't even tell it existed now...there are no signs of anything left.

That's a different place. I used to go there too for the batting cages. Celebration Station came later and was at Rankin and I-45. I don't know the name of the place you are referring to at Richey and I-45... hopefully someone else who had been there will remember it.

Edited by Firebird65
  • Like 1

Aggressive posts (and replies to those) have been removed. Play nice, guys.

To be honest? I would prefer to have my account closed out and deleted. Your fine, upstanding, and oh-so-welcoming members have completely soured me on being a member of this community.

To think ... I was very polite to everyone I interacted with up until a certain individual decided to take upon himself/herself to take me to task for posting MORE information about a specific location mentioned in this thread. This is how contributing is rewarded on this Forum, I take it? You allow your senior members to treat your newbies like total pieces of garbage??? Nice.

So yeah, people like him/her and that wonderfully observant gentleman (or is it lady?) named 'ProHouston' who like to throw stones at glass houses; chiming in and butting in and just in general, commenting on things they have really no business commenting on since it doesn't affect or involve them personally.

Yes, ProHouston ... one final slap in the face to you since you decided to be judge and jury, buddy. I think you're much more of an arrogant (expletive deleted) than the first (expletive deleted) I was referring to in my post. You stuck your nose in where it didn't belong ... so you got told off in a very distinct manner.

So, if you don't mind, sevfiv, I'd just as soon have the account deleted and go my own way, please.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I'm not an architect (my college roommate/friend is though, at aTm!) but I've noticed that you guys sometimes mention the now defunct Game's People Play on 1960. This was an iconic part of my childhood as well, as I often remember going by it all the time when going to the Champion's Country Club Pool. I also remember getting to go there a couple of times.

I started a Wikipedia entry to somehow cement this in history, however, my first mistake was taking a google satellite view of the place (which is still clearly visible and crazy to see) I got around that, however, my article has no references and may or may not be notable. the only search engine links are to forum entries, which may not justify itself as a reference. I could use newspapers, but I haven't made it to a library (what are those these days anyway?)

Check it out at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_People_...(amusement_park). If anybody is more wiki savy than me or thinks they could help, go for it!!

Here is a old coupon from Games People Play 1982.

Enjoy......

post-5259-1245443294_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I believe it was called Family Fun & Games, great place. My friend says it was Action Games, but that name doesn't ring a bell at all, perhaps that was the official business name. I remember it from around 1980 or so. It had a large, square game room with a sunken area in the middle, batting cages and a pretty cool indoor miniature golf course in a big metal building, pretty state-of-the-art for that time.

That's a different place. I used to go there too for the batting cages. Celebration Station came later and was at Rankin and I-45. I don't know the name of the place you are referring to at Richey and I-45... hopefully someone else who had been there will remember it.

Family Fun & Games.

Family Fun & Games!  When do I get my million?  ;-)

• 5 years later...
On 6/15/2009 at 10:04 PM, token2k6 said:

Celebration Station!

Celebration station 

• 9 months later...
On 6/16/2009 at 8:37 AM, cosmic08 said:

I know what place you are talking about. It was on the feeder road of 45 south in between 1960 and Rankin. It had some sort of big top, an animal farm, and I can't remember what else. This was not where Celebration Station or Splashtown (Hanna Barbara Land) stood. It closed in the late 80s or very early 90s. It was kinda like that place that used to be by Astroworld that had the pony rides...it think it was Kiddieland or Peppermint Park, something like that...I may be waaaaay off about the name...

Was it physical whimsical?

• The title was changed to Game's People Play Park On FM 1960