Sign in to follow this  
brian0123

HCC Central College Improvements

Last night HCC had a community forum about improvements that are going to be made in the near future. It was very informative, and there are some really cool things in the works.

Here are some of the highlights:

1. Star Plaza: HCC is going to turn that parking lot in front (and tear down the building at Hollman and San Jacinto) into a park type setting called Star Plaza. You can see renderings here: http://www.theldnet.com/details.php?project=HCC%20Central They are also going to be adding various types of gardens, trees, etc. around the campus. Demo should begin around Winter so they don't disturb classes.

2. The building on the corner of Hollman and San Jacinto (on the other side of Hollman) will be renovated into a Barnes and Noble and coffee shop soon! The Barnes and Noble will be open during student hours at first (public can still come), but the coffee shop will be open later for anyone in the community to come get coffee. The really exciting thing that they said is that the ultimate goal (although they aren't promising it, but it is "in planning" and is still a couple years off) is to build an 8-10 story building on this lot and put a Super Barnes and Noble and Starbucks on the ground floor.

3. Austin Street (that cuts between the campus and is cut off right now) is going to be opened up for bikes and walking through. They are going to make it similar to the wide dirt road @ Discovery Green where all the trees overhang it (between the restaurant and sports field).

4. Midtown is going to do street improvements on Caroline from Hollman to Elgin that will look like Elgin's (and now McGowen's) renovations. In a couple years, Midtown is going to continue renovations on Caroline all the way to Pierce elevated. Midtown is also going start the same types of street improvements on Alabama from Main to Chenevert.

The HCC staff talked about how HCC is the largest land holder in Midtown, and that they plan on making the campus one of the larger college landmarks in Houston and want the Midtown campus to be their flagship. Needless to say, I left very impressed and excited knowing that HCC really cares about Midtown and wants to start developing the area more.

Edited by brian0123
  • Like 1

yeah i actually got wind of this from 002|houston magazine of all places... very, very exciting for that part of town. creating a very urbane campus will greatly increase pedestrian traffic and should help spur a lot of pedestrian-friendly development. the street improvements will only help solidify that.

great news.

I saw that they have fenced off the Staff parking under the Business building on campus. I heard that they fenced it off because they were going to be working on moving the police office and book store under the business building. It looks like this summer could be a busy one for construction and demo.

Is this the same location? I'm not sure. And I did not realize the project was going to be THIS BIG.

In a few weeks, look for groundbreaking on a Llewelyn-Davies Sahni-designed, 103-acre HCC campus including a sports complex adjacent to the site of the Dynamo’s proposed practice complex south of Reliant Stadium. Project manager Ranjan Roy tells us LDS is master-planning the site with tennis courts, a six-hole par 3 practice golf course, football field, baseball field, and field house with indoor basketball courts. Phase I consists of a driving range and two two-lane roads (to later be expanded to four lanes): a north/south road off Airport Blvd named College Way and a road connecting to Kirby aptly called East/West Road. Ranjan tells us LDS will get the notice to proceed and break ground on the roadways in the next week; expect completion by September. LDS is coordinating an interlocal agreement with HCC and the City of Houston including how the roads will be built and maintained.

LDS’s tentative master plan, including more academic buildings for HCC. The construction schedule for later phases depends on growth and demand. Ranjan tells us the timing of this announcement isn’t linked to the decision on the Dynamo Stadium in EaDo; the Dynamo (which will partner on construction through its property) were eagerto get started even before that was finalized. Ranjan says theapproval process was a challenge because there were so many agencies involved. Although the county recently improved Sims Bayou, alleviating flood problems in the area, FEMA hasn’t changed the flood plain map yet, making it difficult to determine further improvements needed. There is one existing building on the site, HCC South Campus’ fully operational Willie Lee Gay Hall.

southphaseiv_000.jpg

source: http://www.bisnow.co...tory.php?p=8198

http://www.theldnet.com/details.php?project=HCC%20Central

Edited by lockmat

I know the improvements brian was talkin about are improvements at HCC Central Campus. It seems like to me in the article you have lockmat, they are talking about a completely brand new campus. Thats my guess

Edited by fatesdisastr

Nice to see this completed. They were planning it years back when I lived nearby. The one thing that still hasn't happened that they talked about then was a 10 story structure across the street. Apparently they were trying to get a Barnes and Nobles type anchor signed on before moving forward. Would love to know if that's still in the works.

Houston Community College Rebids Culinary Arts Center Project

ouston (Harris Co.) - The Houston Community College effort to relocate the Culinary Arts Center to the Central Campus has hit a few bumps along the way, but the project was rebid for subcontractors and still moving forward.

The Culinary Arts program outgrew its space at the 3100 Main Street campus some time ago and there have been plans to build a new facility for years. In February 2015, the HCC district announced that a new building was in the works and construction might begin as early as the summer of 2015. The district set aside $5.8 million to make that happen.

This is Project ID 2016-9101 at VBX and bids are due Feb. 7 at 2 p.m. The estimated project cost is $10.7 million. This is a 12-month construction schedule.

At the time, the district envisioned a 38,000-square-foot, two-story building with 50 parking spaces. Those numbers have changed, but the project site remain and it is bounded by Alabama Street, La Branch Street, Winbern Street and Austin Street.

The final designs refer to a slightly smaller structure at 32,121 square feet. The parking lot was reduced to 15 spaces.

In addition to the standard aesthetics landscaping, Clark Condon Associates has incorporated an herb garden so the cooks will have on-site fresh ingredients.

Stantec Architecture & Interior Design produced the architectural documents in association with NATEX Architects.

The site address is 1401 Alabama St. The block has served as a surface parking lot for the campus. The pavement was demolished in 2016 to make way for cast-in-place concrete foundation and floors.

This building will involve finish out of three of five culinary art laboratories. Two will be left as shell space to be finished later.

Spaces include a cooking/baking lab, a dining room/bar, a dish room, storage/receiving, computer labs, classrooms, a student lounge, locer rooms, faculty offices, conference rooms, a reception area.

The exterior will have face brick, decorative CMU and standard CMU. The bones of the superstructure will be of structural steel with steel joists, a steel floor and roof decking.

files.php?file=HCCculinary_TopperPreferr

files.php?file=HCculinaryTopper_26206232

files.php?file=HCCculinary_map_180569571

• Like 1

On 2/19/2018 at 9:02 AM, cspwal said:

What would that yellow stuff be?

More than likely its the vapor barrier that goes underneath the slab to prevent moisture from going into the concrete and cracking it over time.

• Like 1

HCC is such an asset for the city! Should they change their name to Houston City College instead of HCC?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, texas911 said:

HCC is such an asset for the city! Should they change their name to Houston City College instead of HCC?

I love this idea... City College legitimizes this institution a bit more and sounds traditional.

Because HCC has a whole lot more in common with CUNY than it does with BC, and UH might get verklempt (e.g., the recent South Texas College of Law dustup).

Besides, "Houston City College" has a nice ring to it.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mollusk said:

Because HCC has a whole lot more in common with CUNY than it does with BC, and UH might get verklempt (e.g., the recent South Texas College of Law dustup).

Besides, "Houston City College" has a nice ring to it.

HCC has almost nothing in common with CUNY or BC.

As previously mentioned, HCC has practically nothing in common with Boston College, a highly ranked and regarded 155 year old Jesuit research university with one fifth the student population of HCC.

However, both HCC and CUNY are locally focused public institutions that have similar missions as exemplified by open admissions policies and strong remedial programs, resulting in large, very diverse student bodies - to name just a few parallels. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2018 at 8:30 PM, mollusk said:

.......and strong remedial programs.......

I honestly don’t understand what this means.  Can you explain?

13 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

I honestly don’t understand what this means.  Can you explain?

A school with open admissions ends up with some students who didn't get a decent earlier education.  Remedial programs are designed to fill in those gaps and bring the poorly prepared students up to a college level.

Anyone take culinary classes at HCC?  My wife has been talking about taking some classes for her own amusement but we don't know if this is the place to go or if she should try the Art Institute or Lenotre.  I suspect the cost is better at HCC, but how are the quality of the classes?