Heights Gardening

Is there anyone in the Heights that has a backyard vege and fruit garden going? I've started on mine this last year and am having some trouble with the longer growing seasons and timing on when to plant what... I'm originally from Oklahoma and have some questions regarding planting multiple times throughout the year, what to do with our soil (mine is all sandy loam/shell???), what types (named hybrids etc...) of plants do best here, and I would love if someone had seeds from generationed plants that are known to do well here...

Just to give you a little background, I do have the Urban Harvest book for Houston and it has given me some insight in to what does well but at the same time I would still like it if I could talk to someone close by with some experience in our area. I'm a big fan of interplanting and should have roughly 300+ square feet of planting room by next year 200 or so of that in full sun. So far I've had really good luck with spinach, eggplant, strawberries, and blackberries...Tomato plants are doing so-so (not enough sun), and some others that will produce a low crop this year... Anyone help me out there? I've got too many questions to ask and would be more than happy to buy someone a cup of coffee at Waldo's for a bit of advice.

Is there anyone in the Heights that has a backyard vege and fruit garden going? I've started on mine this last year and am having some trouble with the longer growing seasons and timing on when to plant what... I'm originally from Oklahoma and have some questions regarding planting multiple times throughout the year, what to do with our soil (mine is all sandy loam/shell???), what types (named hybrids etc...) of plants do best here, and I would love if someone had seeds from generationed plants that are known to do well here...

Just to give you a little background, I do have the Urban Harvest book for Houston and it has given me some insight in to what does well but at the same time I would still like it if I could talk to someone close by with some experience in our area. I'm a big fan of interplanting and should have roughly 300+ square feet of planting room by next year 200 or so of that in full sun. So far I've had really good luck with spinach, eggplant, strawberries, and blackberries...Tomato plants are doing so-so (not enough sun), and some others that will produce a low crop this year... Anyone help me out there? I've got too many questions to ask and would be more than happy to buy someone a cup of coffee at Waldo's for a bit of advice.

How about talking to the couple in the house with the community garden next to their house at about 16th and Yale? They're super-friendly...if you PM me I think I can get their names/contact info for you.

My gardening secrets:

raised beds (good drainage)

good soil/manure combo (i wouldn't plant veg. directly in the ground..especially with the condition of the soil around here)

automatic irrigation system

enough sun (exception to this are carrots and parsley in the fall..great thing to plant in that shady spot that a low, winter sun always makes)

the urban harvest book is a great resource..

Archived