Possible sore subject, wheat pasting and stencil graffiti

I tried to do a search about two specific kinds of "graffiti" known as wheat pasting and another called stencil graffiti. The former being quite a different form of graffiti where images are drawn, painted, screend onto various types of paper media and then glued to a surface with wheat paste. The other is close to traditional graffiti, except that the image is made using a stencil cut from card stock or paper.

I personally love this kind of art, andlove seeing it around Houston. I am not talking about a crudely spray painted tag on a wall or stop sign. There are several very interesting artists in Houston that I love to try to photograph, such as Dual, Give Up, Eyesore, 2:12, and also Ghost Town. Ghost town actually is responsible for the tile mosaic Pac Man ghosts that are found all around the inner loop. Personally, I think this is art, but can understand how if it was affixed to private property could be offensive to the owner of said property.

What are y'all's thoughts on this? Below are a few pictures of what I am talking about.

3598165827_8b2284e13b.jpg

3598973690_c03845c2ed.jpg

3604861379_9b9d25f0f7.jpg

3579452155_a9acabfb5b.jpg

3580274550_98ea2ecf3c.jpg

I tried to do a search about two specific kinds of "graffiti" known as wheat pasting and another called stencil graffiti. The former being quite a different form of graffiti where images are drawn, painted, screend onto various types of paper media and then glued to a surface with wheat paste. The other is close to traditional graffiti, except that the image is made using a stencil cut from card stock or paper.

I personally love this kind of art, andlove seeing it around Houston. I am not talking about a crudely spray painted tag on a wall or stop sign. There are several very interesting artists in Houston that I love to try to photograph, such as Dual, Give Up, Eyesore, 2:12, and also Ghost Town. Ghost town actually is responsible for the tile mosaic Pac Man ghosts that are found all around the inner loop. Personally, I think this is art, but can understand how if it was affixed to private property could be offensive to the owner of said property.

What are y'all's thoughts on this? Below are a few pictures of what I am talking about.

3598165827_8b2284e13b.jpg

3598973690_c03845c2ed.jpg

3604861379_9b9d25f0f7.jpg

3579452155_a9acabfb5b.jpg

3580274550_98ea2ecf3c.jpg

I was amazed when I went to Rome at all the graffiti everywhere. Mostly, the bad kind, but after awhile you don't notice it.

I do like these.

The Dirty Third Streets is a good one...went through that whole site a couple of weeks ago. Seems like Give Up is all over the place, I really dig his work. Dual is also quite active and his stuff is very cool too. I have found about 14 tile ghosts, and know of 5 that are destroyed. I wish I could find more, but in a city the size of Houston it is the proverbial needle in a haystack.

EMME - If you haven't already, check out HoustonStreetArt.org.

And there's a big Give Up over by Target, if you haven't seen it.

Hey thanks!

I actually run Houstonstreetart.org. I'm always looking for submissions so if you see something and want me to post it up there, contact me on my page and I'll post it. Those are really nice photos above, I was worried for a minute there that everything was getting painted over so quickly. Anyhoo, the Houston street art scene is getting bigger and bigger, so keep your eyes peeled!

Amanda

I was amazed when I went to Rome at all the graffiti everywhere. Mostly, the bad kind, but after awhile you don't notice it.

http://vizieone.com/2009/06/09/venice/

It's really interesting how in Europe people really don't feel "offended" by graffiti. In some cases in Paris it really adds to the city. Also for all you Houston boasters, Houston has produced some of the most prolific street artists of our time.

edit:

// Locals might recognize this crew production

http://vizieone.com/2009/05/01/the-cheeziest/

• 7 months later...

I think this is art, but can understand how if it was affixed to private property could be offensive to the owner of said property.

As an owner of property that these vandals have squatted on many times, I can tell you that it is not art when the intent is fraudulent. I have travelled the world, and loved art since I can remember. I only appreciate art when it adds zest, and appreciation - not detraction, and petty vandalism. Though the vandals have talent, they still have destroyed some of my rental properties - thereby destroying art itself. I do not call them artists, lest they prove themselves in the arena. If you appreciate this type of so called, "Art", move to Detroit, and just cruise from the airport northward. You'll get your belly full of a town not worth the visit.

I don't mind public art. What I do mind is trespassing and vandalism.

Feel free to paint your own property with whatever "art" you think is valid. But when you start defacing someone else's property, then the line has been crossed.

Is public property my property?

No. Public property belongs to all of us, not just you. And if you deface it, then the rest of us have to pay to have it cleaned up through our taxes.

Your property is your property. Everything else is someone else's.

No. Public property belongs to all of us, not just you. And if you deface it, then the rest of us have to pay to have it cleaned up through our taxes.

Eh... The best part of getting stuck at a train is seeing how creative taggers can get.

Kind of on the same subject, I would love to see more murals painted on the sides and backs of buildings.

tucumcarimural.jpg

I'm in with your idea. This is art. It keeps your eye busy, and creates so many images, and memories in your mind. Where was this painted, do you know?

What if I don't deface but rather enhance it?

Anyway, Nouveau Antique Art Bar opened on Main Street two days ago. Its got a bunch of lamps inside, but anyway point being they've got a big mural up on their outer wall now.

ying&yang

I personally love the struggle between static money and nomadic creativity. Let's let history decide who wins this one. happy.gif

The XL Parts in Midtown has gone through several phases of graffiti art. I'm guessing the owners allow it since they don't seem to bother removing it.

O.K. good point, I think, in this case, the canvas fits the art. This is an auto parts store I assume, but the art fits, and the owner has equity... ~no?

Archived