Target In Midtown

I would believe Target is looking at midtown. But I think that they would probably build their own two story building. They have urban Targets all over the US. Seattle has one, Atlanta, Charlotte, Minneapolis, and a lot in California.

Here is one in an urban development in Seattle: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21241102@N00/3291761118/

Here is a video of a two story Target

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Wont the Whole Foods in Uptown be two stories?

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I shop Wal-mart for certain items because I can't afford to buy them at Bering's, Nordstrom, Crate and Barrel or Smith and Hawken. Since I'm anticipating a less-than-wonderful shopping experience, I'm not disappointed.

Can anyone afford to buy items at Berings? At one time I had a little sympathy for mom and pop stores when people ranted about how big evil stores like Wal-Mart moved in and killed them all. After shopping at Berings I'm more inclined to view stores like Berings as equivalent to places that gouge on bottled water and plywood when a Hurricane is headed our way. You could say that the personal attention and guidance you receive makes up for the difference, but if you are receiving personal attention at Berings it

I would believe Target is looking at midtown. But I think that they would probably build their own two story building. They have urban Targets all over the US. Seattle has one, Atlanta, Charlotte, Minneapolis, and a lot in California.

Here is one in an urban development in Seattle:

Here is a video of a two story Target

I'm all for multi-story developments, but I noticed that in both videos, the people were hesitant to use the car escalator. I wonder how often one must wait for hesitant shoppers to finish congregating at the escalator because they can't figure out how to push a cart. I can see it getting annoying to some people who shop out of necessity rather than fun (like me ;-) ).

Just for record, Sears is owned by KMart, and Rice owns the mid town building that Sears occupies.

Actually, Sears is the parent company of KMart.

I wasn't serious in suggesting that Target take over the (Rice-Owned) Sears store. It was just a fantasy that someone would come in and restore the exterior. I'll make a point of shopping there some time, it just never crosses my mind and it's right around the corner.

Wal-Mart does have better "Man Stuff", that's where I generally get my fishing gear/license, etc. But then again there's always Academy.

My experience at Target/South Main Saturday was so pleasant. Everyone was so well behaved and civil. I was asked by three different representatives at various times if I needed assistance finding something.

Target in Midtown NOW!

My experience at Target/South Main Saturday was so pleasant. Everyone was so well behaved and civil. I was asked by three different representatives at various times if I needed assistance finding something.

Target in Midtown NOW!

I have noticed that, too, that they're always asking you if you need help and they even walk you to what you're looking for, not just point.

I'm all for multi-story developments, but I noticed that in both videos, the people were hesitant to use the car escalator. I wonder how often one must wait for hesitant shoppers to finish congregating at the escalator because they can't figure out how to push a cart. I can see it getting annoying to some people who shop out of necessity rather than fun (like me ;-) ).

I'm thinking of all the people who freak out over traffic circles, can't parallel park, etc. Introducing another foreign/urban concept like 2- story grocery stores is going to seriously mess with people's minds, since you're coming between them and their food! I wonder if you have to remove children from the cart before putting it on the cart escaltor? That will be fun to watch.

It must be that higher quality, more stylish Chinese prisoners are making the Target items.

Be honest: what everyone here really means to say is that WalMart is for brown people and rednecks--not for people who enjoy farmers markets and Project Runway.

Hey, I'm a "brown person" (sorta), and I prefer Target.

;)

Hey, I'm a "brown person" (sorta), and I prefer Target.

;)

Ha! I just don't like shopping, period. I have a problem with swarms of children in public when I'm trying to go about my bidness. Target, Walmart, grocery store..... they're everyhwere, the shrieking little knee-biters! Sigh. I wish there was an adults-only shopping center. I'd even drive to the suburbs for it.

Ha! I just don't like shopping, period. I have a problem with swarms of children in public when I'm trying to go about my bidness. Target, Walmart, grocery store..... they're everyhwere, the shrieking little knee-biters! Sigh. I wish there was an adults-only shopping center. I'd even drive to the suburbs for it.

Ha Ha! As if you could escape from the little critters in the 'burbs. They let them run wild out there...

Pretty much any store in Midtown seems to be frequented only by adults most of the time (Specs, Randalls).

I think you just uncovered a big reason I don't like Walmart. Shopping there is like walking through a romper room without parental supervision.

Ha! I just don't like shopping, period. I have a problem with swarms of children in public when I'm trying to go about my bidness. I wish there was an adults-only shopping center. I'd even drive to the suburbs for it.

I second that. I do not dislike children (I have two of my own, now grown) but for goodness sake, parents, do your job. In my experience most children who whine and carry on in public simply want to be acknowledged by their parents. How difficult is it to take five seconds and respond to a child's question or comment. Also, it's probably not their fault that they have high-pitched voices (short vocal chords). By the way, my children did not whine - they bellowed!

Really though, they were are still are good kids. Maybe it is because their mother did not neglect them and also set behavioral boundries for them which she took the trouble to enforce when necessary while never having to resort to corporal punishment. I've got to give the woman a lot of credit. I learned from watching her and tried not to undo her good work.

What I would really relish (pardon the pun) is an "adults-only restaurant" and, no, I don't mean a strip club with a buffet. I mean a fast food or table service eatery that one must be over the age of, say, 18 to enter.

Yeah, I am old and grouchy but, believe it or not, with progressive hearing loss (thank you Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead, et. al.) high-pitched sounds become even more annoying. :angry2:

When we chose a small town for retirement, we didn't even consider that we would encounter very few children. They go to fast food places and are never in the regular sit down restaurants in town. We never encounter children. Even walmart has very few children around. So many senior citizens here and apparently families with young children go to different places. Kind of a nice surprise. I imagine the same applies to certain areas in Houston, like downtown for instance.

Pretty much any store in Midtown seems to be frequented only by adults most of the time (Specs, Randalls).

Whatever! I roll into Spec's with the baby all the time. I figure bringing her into the liquor store is WAY better than leaving her in the car.

When we chose a small town for retirement, we didn't even consider that we would encounter very few children. They go to fast food places and are never in the regular sit down restaurants in town. We never encounter children. Even walmart has very few children around. So many senior citizens here and apparently families with young children go to different places. Kind of a nice surprise. I imagine the same applies to certain areas in Houston, like downtown for instance.

You are correct, I don't see children that often at the restaurants in downtown nor do I see them in Midtown. I was actually surprised that children lived in my building downtown. I always wondered what school they would attend if they lived downtown, I have never seen a school bus downtown consistently, so I am guessing private school.

Regarding a smaller concept target, I noticed the other day that the vacant lot around 3000 Fannin has been cleared. I wonder if that would be enough for a mini-Target? They would have to build an underground parking lot but it could be done.

Ah, don't get my hopes up! I noticed them clearing that lot the other day (the bulldozer is still parked on it). I wonder what's going on there.

Ah, don't get my hopes up! I noticed them clearing that lot the other day (the bulldozer is still parked on it). I wonder what's going on there.

I noticed the bulldozer this morning on the way to work. Pretty gutsy of them to leave it there even if you remove the key.

I'm tempted to start it up later this evening and take out the building across the street! B)

Every time I drive by the abandoned MHMRA building I notice that the water-chiller on the roof is slowly vanishing.

Anyone have a building or two in Midtown that they would like demo'd? :D

A friend of mine was looking at homes in "EaDo" over the weekend, and the Realtor was telling him about upcoming projects in and around Downtown. One project the Realtor mentioned was that Target is going to build a smaller, two story store in Midtown. Has anyone heard anything about this?

I emailed them yesterday and received a response just now saying that they cannot find any information about a planned Target in this area... so I'm guessing my friend was lied to by the Realtor (I'm SHOCKED!!!!) The rest of the email looked similar to yours. Maybe all of the HAIF Midtowner's should start writing in and it will become a reality! :D

I would trust no realtor that uses hip monikers and acronyms for a newly re-developed area of town.

If a Wal-Mart comes inside my Loop I will burn it down

No you wouldn't.

It must be that higher quality, more stylish Chinese prisoners are making the Target items.

Be honest: what everyone here really means to say is that WalMart is for brown people and rednecks--not for people who enjoy farmers markets and Project Runway. I guarantee you, though, that 90% of the WalMart haters with no good retail in their neighborhood would shop there if one was built in midtown. I've watched my DINK neighbors drop over a hundred bucks on toiletries, snacks and cheap wine at the new CVS around the corner from me only because it's new, it's around the corner, and it's not the depressing Kroger. I have done the same thing. The other 10% should at least be intellectually honest enough to refuse to shop at any big box retailer.

Like I said, I'm no fan of WalMart, but this slavish preference for Target over WalMart is essentially feeding the same beast.

Shopping at Walmart just feels ultra depressing. Maybe it's the oppressive fluorescent lights, maybe it's the crowd and the type of folks that shop there, or maybe it's just the realization that this company has done considerable harm to local businesses across the nation, both by forcing out smaller mom and pop stores that actually supported the local economy, and also by forcing manufacturers to ship their factories and jobs to China to save 10 cents per package of tube socks. Neither Target nor any mass merchandiser is much better, but Walmart blazed the path before the others and therefore receives the brunt of the criticism.
Don't forget that Sam Walton was a Mom and Pop, and whether you like WM or not it is amazing that he built what he did in less than one generation.

Why are we so hypocritical that we'll bash Walmart, which started as a mom & pop but we'll all meet up at the Best Buy to buy a T.V. then swing by a Starbucks on the way home. What is so chic about Target that makes it exempt from the "detrimental to mom & pop shops" mentality? Are we just hoping for the lesser of two evils? I'm just looking for clarification of certain posters' perspective.

Walmart serves a very important function in our economy and our society. I don't like shopping there myself, but that doesn't mean I look down my nose at those who do or think they shouldn't open new stores in areas where they would improve the lives of lower income people who already live in the area and can't afford to shop at Central Market and Restoration Hardware.

You are exactly right. I'm no fan of Walmart no more than I am ANY big chain store, but the reality is that at some point (unless you're filthy rich), you're going to have to shop at these stores to save money.

There's an entire block between Main and Travis, near Richmond where a McDonald's used to be. That'd be really bad news for Sears, though. I say Target should move into where Sears is and restore that building to its orignal splendor. I live in this area and never think about going to Sears because it's so drab. I always just go down to the South Main Target. A Target in this Midtown location would rock my world.

As an "outer-looper", I had no clue this Sears was even open, and I drive by it at least three times a week.

No you wouldn't.

This is a literary device known as hyperbole.

Why are we so hypocritical that we'll bash Walmart, which started as a mom & pop but we'll all meet up at the Best Buy to buy a T.V. then swing by a Starbucks on the way home. What is so chic about Target that makes it exempt from the "detrimental to mom & pop shops" mentality? Are we just hoping for the lesser of two evils? I'm just looking for clarification of certain posters' perspective.

Because what a company does now or in the very recent past is how I judge them, not what they did in the past. For example, Du Pont in the past tried to overthrow FDR's government, but I'm not going to hold that against them now.

You are exactly right. I'm no fan of Walmart no more than I am ANY big chain store, but the reality is that at some point (unless you're filthy rich), you're going to have to shop at these stores to save money.

And if and when I do, I will shop at Target.

What Sam built is not what is being implemented. If you want the inferior version of the product you're looking for, go to Wal-Mart because Wal-Mart makes companies actually redesign their product to be cheaper and of lower quality before they put it on the shelves. My cousins live in Arkansas and knew Sam Walton. Even when he was filthy rich he drove around Bentonville in his beat up old pick up truck. His grandsons, who went to school with my cousins, drive Ferraris and Hummers. The heirs are nothing like Sam Walton, and neither are the executives currently running the company. That's just scratching the surface.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Additionally, Wal-Mart as it is today treats its employees like slaves, robs them of benefits and security and all so those Hummers can multiply. Anything they can to make another penny, ugh. I'd rather go to Target any day then support their business model. Not to mention how much I loathe their lack of community responsibility as far as real estate goes - my blood boils every time I see one of their old buildings still sitting there vacant because they built a super duper Wal-Mart across the street. Nothing hurts a community like vacant, dingy buildings and large crummy corporations who could care less.

And really, brown people? That's the fallback? I think many of us live in the city because we actually like the representation of all the colors, even brown. You could *maybe* make the argument for rednecks since I like that Target doesn't have a guns section... ;);)

And PS, I visited a two story Target in Annapolis and it felt no different than your normal experience. The whole store was on the top level, it just faciliated parking. It was a nice experience though, I think it could be a clever addition to the area

Couldn't have said it better myself. Additionally, Wal-Mart as it is today treats its employees like slaves, robs them of benefits and security and all so those Hummers can multiply. Anything they can to make another penny, ugh. I'd rather go to Target any day then support their business model. Not to mention how much I loathe their lack of community responsibility as far as real estate goes - my blood boils every time I see one of their old buildings still sitting there vacant because they built a super duper Wal-Mart across the street. Nothing hurts a community like vacant, dingy buildings and large crummy corporations who could care less.

What exactly is Target's business model compared to Walmart's business model?

Umm...maybe Niche knows about this rumor, eh? Or is he "not able to disclose this" as usual? ;)

Attractive skinny people versus toothless obese people?

What about skinny toothless people? Most obese people are obese because they have teeth, which they use far too often in the activity of chewing fatty foods.

What about skinny toothless people? Most obese people are obese because they have teeth, which they use far too often in the activity of chewing fatty foods.

You're right. I should have said attractive, skinny city dwellers versus fat, ugly trailer dwellers.

Attractive skinny people versus toothless obese people?

My point exactly. The models I'm sure are almost identical. Target just puts an extra coat of polish on their turd, charges 10% more and presto, its' inner-loop "yuppie" approved.

Archived