Target In Midtown

A friend of mine was looking at homes in "EaDo" over the weekend, and the Realtor was telling him about upcoming projects in and around Downtown. One project the Realtor mentioned was that Target is going to build a smaller, two story store in Midtown. Has anyone heard anything about this?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's an entire block between Main and Travis, near Richmond where a McDonald's used to be. That'd be really bad news for Sears, though. I say Target should move into where Sears is and restore that building to its orignal splendor. I live in this area and never think about going to Sears because it's so drab. I always just go down to the South Main Target. A Target in this Midtown location would rock my world.

There's an entire block between Main and Travis, near Richmond where a McDonald's used to be. That'd be really bad news for Sears, though. I say Target should move into where Sears is and restore that building to its orignal splendor. I live in this area and never think about going to Sears because it's so drab. I always just go down to the South Main Target. A Target in this Midtown location would rock my world.

It's not that drab, and it's really quite a clean place and it's easy to shop. I work in the medical center and I sometimes drive in there on my way home. What do want, a bunch of shopping carts in the parking lot? Why not support the businesses that are already there? It's your neighborhood.

I'm with you. We inner-looper snobs gag at the thought of a Wal-Mart. ^_^

I'll admit that I split my time between Clear Lake (weekends) and the Inner Loop (living inside since '91) but down there I have both within a 500 yards of each other. Target just does not have enough guy stuff. Motor oil, fishing crap, emergency reciprocal saws at 4 am, stuff like that, AND if the grocery side of a new Target inside the loop is anything like the one across Washington..... what a waste of space.

If a Wal-Mart comes inside my Loop I will burn it down

I'll preface this by saying that I don't like WalMart for a number of reasons, but I feel like being contrary:

If I ran Walmart, I would seriously consider branching out into the urban farmer's market business --sans logo and all walmart trappings, of course--just to screw with righteous urban hipsters. After a few months of downtown loft dwellers buying and eating beautiful heirloom tomatoes (grown on a a factory farm paying slave labor wages in Ecuador) sold by tatooed kids (getting paid minimum wage) offering samples and organic linen shopper bags, it would make for a great episode of punk'd.

If I ran Walmart, I would seriously consider branching out into the urban farmer's market business --sans logo and all walmart trappings, of course--just to screw with righteous urban hipsters. After a few months of downtown loft dwellers buying and eating beautiful heirloom tomatoes (grown on a a factory farm paying slave labor wages in Ecuador) sold by tatooed kids (getting paid minimum wage) offering samples and organic linen shopper bags, it would make for a great episode of punk'd.

get rid of the tattooed kids and i might go myself. lol

Shopping at Walmart just feels ultra depressing. Maybe it's the oppressive fluorescent lights, maybe it's the crowd and the type of folks that shop there, or maybe it's just the realization that this company has done considerable harm to local businesses across the nation, both by forcing out smaller mom and pop stores that actually supported the local economy, and also by forcing manufacturers to ship their factories and jobs to China to save 10 cents per package of tube socks. Neither Target nor any mass merchandiser is much better, but Walmart blazed the path before the others and therefore receives the brunt of the criticism.

Shopping at Walmart just feels ultra depressing. Maybe it's the oppressive fluorescent lights, maybe it's the crowd and the type of folks that shop there, or maybe it's just the realization that this company has done considerable harm to local businesses across the nation, both by forcing out smaller mom and pop stores that actually supported the local economy, and also by forcing manufacturers to ship their factories and jobs to China to save 10 cents per package of tube socks. Neither Target nor any mass merchandiser is much better, but Walmart blazed the path before the others and therefore receives the brunt of the criticism.

OMG what the fudge is with those lights!! That's one of the worst things about Wal-Mart in my opinion.

Definitely, regarding the lights! Combine that with the door-less "vandal-proof" bathrooms, general uncleanliness, cheap fixtures, and the dull blue/grey/white paint scheme. These factors, along with the crowds (and the other obvious facts) make the stores seem grim and depressing. Oh and yes, the fact that you have the gestapo at the entrances and exits does not help any.

Target isn't exactly Neiman Marcus or Nordstrom's, but the stores themselves are much more appealing. The lighting is still fluorescent, but it has a different aura...the way items are displayed is much better, and the general fixtures throughout the store are of a much nicer quality. The colour scheme is bright red, and white, with various accents, which makes the place seem much more alive. The crowds are usually better in quality (less rude, less snotty kids running around), and less in quantity. Oh, and many of the locations have a Starbucks now!

Furthermore, I find that their items are of much better quality, and have better design than the mundane stuff at WalMart.

So yeah...I certainly hope the rumors of a Target coming to Midtown are true...and KEEP WALMART OUT OF THE LOOP!

Don't forget that Sam Walton was a Mom and Pop, and whether you like WM or not it is amazing that he built what he did in less than one generation.

What Sam built is not what is being implemented. If you want the inferior version of the product you're looking for, go to Wal-Mart because Wal-Mart makes companies actually redesign their product to be cheaper and of lower quality before they put it on the shelves. My cousins live in Arkansas and knew Sam Walton. Even when he was filthy rich he drove around Bentonville in his beat up old pick up truck. His grandsons, who went to school with my cousins, drive Ferraris and Hummers. The heirs are nothing like Sam Walton, and neither are the executives currently running the company. That's just scratching the surface.

Furthermore, I find that their items are of much better quality, and have better design than the mundane stuff at WalMart.

It must be that higher quality, more stylish Chinese prisoners are making the Target items.

Be honest: what everyone here really means to say is that WalMart is for brown people and rednecks--not for people who enjoy farmers markets and Project Runway. I guarantee you, though, that 90% of the WalMart haters with no good retail in their neighborhood would shop there if one was built in midtown. I've watched my DINK neighbors drop over a hundred bucks on toiletries, snacks and cheap wine at the new CVS around the corner from me only because it's new, it's around the corner, and it's not the depressing Kroger. I have done the same thing. The other 10% should at least be intellectually honest enough to refuse to shop at any big box retailer.

Like I said, I'm no fan of WalMart, but this slavish preference for Target over WalMart is essentially feeding the same beast.

less rude, less snotty kids running around

This is why I go to Target. The one time I went to Wal-mart about 8 years ago, I felt like I was in Galleria area traffic with people letting their kids crawl and walk around the store unsupervised.

I complained and was told if you don't like don't shop here. So I haven't since.

It must be that higher quality, more stylish Chinese prisoners are making the Target items.

Be honest: what everyone here really means to say is that WalMart is for brown people and rednecks--not for people who enjoy farmers markets and Project Runway. I guarantee you, though, that 90% of the WalMart haters with no good retail in their neighborhood would shop there if one was built in midtown. I've watched my DINK neighbors drop over a hundred bucks on toiletries, snacks and cheap wine at the new CVS around the corner from me only because it's new, it's around the corner, and it's not the depressing Kroger. I have done the same thing. The other 10% should at least be intellectually honest enough to refuse to shop at any big box retailer.

Like I said, I'm no fan of WalMart, but this slavish preference for Target over WalMart is essentially feeding the same beast.

The Sawyer Heights Target is quite convenient to my house & the clientele is extremely diverse. The neighborhood includes different ethnicities & income levels--& its location on I10 makes it convenient to just about everybody. The only WalMart I ever visited was ugly & depressing. I also find CVS ugly--& items not on special are liable to be overpriced.

I do wonder at the people who want Target to "take over" Sears. Target is not in the business of returning neglected old buildings to their former glory. Sears does have customers & sells some stuff that Target does not. Of course it would be great if Sears management were inspired to restore that building...

I emailed Target asking if there were intentions to build one there. Seems they misunderstood my question:

I emailed them yesterday and received a response just now saying that they cannot find any information about a planned Target in this area... so I'm guessing my friend was lied to by the Realtor (I'm SHOCKED!!!!) The rest of the email looked similar to yours. Maybe all of the HAIF Midtowner's should start writing in and it will become a reality! :D

Walmart serves a very important function in our economy and our society. I don't like shopping there myself, but that doesn't mean I look down my nose at those who do or think they shouldn't open new stores in areas where they would improve the lives of lower income people who already live in the area and can't afford to shop at Central Market and Restoration Hardware.

This is why I go to Target. The one time I went to Wal-mart about 8 years ago, I felt like I was in Galleria area traffic with people letting their kids crawl and walk around the store unsupervised.

I complained and was told if you don't like don't shop here. So I haven't since.

The lack of parental supervision and instructions to kids on how to behave in public isn't limited to people who shop at Wal-mart. It's a reflection of lowered standards in today's world. I worked at an upscale store in the Galleria and we frequently had merchandise damaged by youngsters playing with it while mama was looking elsewhere. There's nothing like losing a sale because a customer discovers that the $500 evening dress she wants has a chocolate ice cream handprint on the front!

I shop Wal-mart for certain items because I can't afford to buy them at Bering's, Nordstrom, Crate and Barrel or Smith and Hawken. Since I'm anticipating a less-than-wonderful shopping experience, I'm not disappointed.

The Sawyer Heights Target is quite convenient to my house & the clientele is extremely diverse. The neighborhood includes different ethnicities & income levels--& its location on I10 makes it convenient to just about everybody. The only WalMart I ever visited was ugly & depressing. I also find CVS ugly--& items not on special are liable to be overpriced.

I do wonder at the people who want Target to "take over" Sears. Target is not in the business of returning neglected old buildings to their former glory. Sears does have customers & sells some stuff that Target does not. Of course it would be great if Sears management were inspired to restore that building...

Just for record, Sears is owned by KMart, and Rice owns the mid town building that Sears occupies.

Just for record, Sears is owned by KMart, and Rice owns the mid town building that Sears occupies.

So Rice owns the bldg. as well. I heard that Sears was just "leasing the land" from Rice. This is even better news than I thought. Could this bldg. be so lucky? I do hope so.

Archived