BBQ Shrimp (NOLA style, of course)

Hey, my hubby and I are going to NOLA this week, and we're looking for a mid-priced place in French Quarter or downtown or nearby that serves NOLA-style BBQ shrimp. (Just to be clear, we're looking shrimps cooked in a spicy sauce, not "shrimp scampi" style like at Pascal's in the Garden district for example.) We used to like the dish at a place by French Market named Cafe Gumbolya that unfortunatley has been long lost to Katarina.

Any suggestions?

The Gumbo Shop on St Peters and Alpine on Chartres. Both about 20 yards from Jackson Square. Gumbo Shop doesn't make it every day so check with them and see if its on their menu.

Mr. B's Bistro on 200 Block of Royal (part of the Brennans clan) is highly recommended too, not just for BBQ shrimp, but everything.

I used to live in the Quarter and these were the places I'd frequent. If you like this spicy shrimp, then I can't recommend enough going to Gumbo Shop and getting a shrimp po'boy during one lunch. Its not your classic dressed sandwich, but a hollowed out loaf of french bread stuffed with sauteed and spiced shrimps, much like what you get with BBQ shrimp (no heads or shells of course!). Its amazing and at about $8 one of the best deals in the Quarter too.

Mr B's on Royal St has fantastic BBQ shrimp. yum.

But I've never had really spicy bbq shrimp in NOLA. The traditional recipe as far as I know is a peppery butter sauce, but not overly spicy with a lot of cayenne.

Thanks for the tip. And yeah, that's what I mean by the type of BBQ shrimp -- I was trying to distinguish it from the other kind, which was more like shrimp scampi with hardly any seasoning at all (kind of like shrimp with drawn butter...bleah.)

The Gumbo Shop on St Peters and Alpine on Chartres. Both about 20 yards from Jackson Square. Gumbo Shop doesn't make it every day so check with them and see if its on their menu.

Mr. B's Bistro on 200 Block of Royal (part of the Brennans clan) is highly recommended too, not just for BBQ shrimp, but everything.

I used to live in the Quarter and these were the places I'd frequent. If you like this spicy shrimp, then I can't recommend enough going to Gumbo Shop and getting a shrimp po'boy during one lunch. Its not your classic dressed sandwich, but a hollowed out loaf of french bread stuffed with sauteed and spiced shrimps, much like what you get with BBQ shrimp (no heads or shells of course!). Its amazing and at about $8 one of the best deals in the Quarter too.

Oh, yummy -- I must go try this out! Thanks for the tip.

If you like this spicy shrimp, then I can't recommend enough going to Gumbo Shop and getting a shrimp po'boy during one lunch. Its not your classic dressed sandwich, but a hollowed out loaf of french bread stuffed with sauteed and spiced shrimps, much like what you get with BBQ shrimp (no heads or shells of course!). Its amazing and at about $8 one of the best deals in the Quarter too.

Ooh, like the bbq shrimp po boy at Liuzza's at the track. Yum.

Bubba: Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.

ANYWHO! Here's the joint you want. Should meet all your criteria.

http://www.ralphandkacoos.com/

The blackened shrimp should make you drink plenty of Hurricanes.

Archived