HCTRA Erroroneously Sent Me a Toll Violation Notice

I have a TxTag that I've used numerous times on the HCTRA's system. Yet, the HCTRA has sent me a bill because of violations. These violations are erroneous on the part of HCTRA because the TxTag can be used on all Texas Tollroads, and my TxTag is always kept in good standing. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

I have a TxTag that I've used numerous times on the HCTRA's system. Yet, the HCTRA has sent me a bill because of violations. These violations are erroneous on the part of HCTRA because the TxTag can be used on all Texas Tollroads, and my TxTag is always kept in good standing. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

How is your tag powered? They've changed up their technology over the years, and I know that some of them are battery-powered and that HCTRA holds the user responsible even though they have no way of knowing when the battery has died. Another consideration may be the placement of the tag within your car in such a way as that it cannot consistently be detected.

I assume that you actually used the toll road and the tag did not register, but the camera got your license plate and you received a much higher bill as a result of the tag not registering. If this is the case, simply call and explain the problem. They will verify that you have a tag and withdraw the violation fees, and only charge the toll. Happens all the time.

If you were not even on the toll road at all, ask to see the evidence.

I assume that you actually used the toll road and the tag did not register, but the camera got your license plate and you received a much higher bill as a result of the tag not registering. If this is the case, simply call and explain the problem. They will verify that you have a tag and withdraw the violation fees, and only charge the toll. Happens all the time.

I'd planned to give them a call in the morning with my TxTag info. Hopefully this problem will be alleviated w/o hassle.

This has happened to me several times in particularly when I have new license plates. The direct line number to customer service is 281-875-1400.... Which reminds me that I need to call in and give them new motorcycle plate number.... Thanks for the reminder JLW ;-)

Their service is good. WHen I bought my most recent car, I couldn't add it to my tag account right away because there were violations on my license plate. Showed 'em the bill of sale and it was all straightened out. Didn't take long at all... 10 minutes tops.

I talked with them and got it taken care of. They waived the administrative fee, but I still have to pay the tolls since the TxTag didn't get detected. Usually, they can go into your account and pull it out, but HCTRA can't go into TxTag accounts and get funds, so I have to mail the money or call them over the phone and do it, which I will.

About six years ago I got a letter from HCTRA saying I owed fees because the guy I'd recently sold a truck to went through the EZ Tag lanes without a tag. All I did was call and tell them I didn't own the car anymore, and they dropped it.

Also, the day after Tropical Storm Allison, tolls had been lifted and I had used the Beltway. I went through the EZ Tag lanes, and as a result got a letter from HCTRA. I called and said it was the day after Allison and they had announced on KTRH that tolls had been lifted. They dropped it.

So I'm 2-for-2 with errant HCTRA notices. :)

I have gotten two tickets from them because another car with similar looks and license plate with a one number difference keeps going through the toll booth illegally I guess. But I just call them and tell them my license plate and they drop the charges.

Archived