Mayor's Mansion

I was just curious if the city provides housing for Bill White or does he reside in the same home as he did before mayor? Anybody know the location? Just curious....

Leepy (Mayor Brown) pitched the idea of a mayoral residence when he was in office. His reasoning was that the Mayor receives and entertains people as part of the job. I recall the idea being received with shrugs or derision.

The Whites live in a gated community off Memorial Drive, just outside the loop. They have lived there for over 10 years.

The city does not provide housing for its mayor.

I have thought for a long time that it would be neat if the Kirby Mansion* (2006 Smith Street at Pierce) was purchased by the city and made the "official mayoral residence." I really doubt a modern mayor of a city the size of Houston could live there though especially considering its proximity to the Pierce Elevated. I think that would bring up both safety and comfort issues too substantial to deal with.

New York has an official mayor's residence (Gracie Mansion) although I doubt Michael Bloomberg would trade down to that from his own residence. When the Museum of the City of New York moved out of the manison and into its new home the building was officially designated the mayor's residence and, in 1942, Mayor Fiorello La Guardia moved in.

I understand that no mayor of NYC in recent times has acutally slept at the mansion on a regular basis with the possible exception of Ed Koch in the 1980s. I once heard a rumor that Mr. Koch did live in the mansion but have no good evidence that this was true. He is a life-long bachelor so maybe he did since he did not have a family to accommodate.

Back to the subject: I believe the Kirby Manison, former Red Cross headquarters, is presently owned by Gulf States Oil Corporation. Would it not be a feather in their cap if they would donate it to the city, along with a restoration and maintenance endowment, so that it could be the official reception venue for people that the mayor hosts in his or her official capacity? Then the mayor would not have to rely on the generosity of his or her benefactors in River Oaks to do the honors. B) Heck, the land under the building is probably too valuable for that to ever happen even in a depressed market.

*See the thread about the Kirby Mansion in Neighborhoods>Midtown.

• 9 years later...
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2009 at 12:55 PM, Specwriter said:

I have thought for a long time that it would be neat if the Kirby Mansion* (2006 Smith Street at Pierce) was purchased by the city and made the "official mayoral residence." I really doubt a modern mayor of a city the size of Houston could live there though especially considering its proximity to the Pierce Elevated. I think that would bring up both safety and comfort issues too substantial to deal with.

New York has an official mayor's residence (Gracie Mansion) although I doubt Michael Bloomberg would trade down to that from his own residence. When the Museum of the City of New York moved out of the manison and into its new home the building was officially designated the mayor's residence and, in 1942, Mayor Fiorello La Guardia moved in.

I understand that no mayor of NYC in recent times has acutally slept at the mansion on a regular basis with the possible exception of Ed Koch in the 1980s. I once heard a rumor that Mr. Koch did live in the mansion but have no good evidence that this was true. He is a life-long bachelor so maybe he did since he did not have a family to accommodate.

Back to the subject: I believe the Kirby Manison, former Red Cross headquarters, is presently owned by Gulf States Oil Corporation. Would it not be a feather in their cap if they would donate it to the city, along with a restoration and maintenance endowment, so that it could be the official reception venue for people that the mayor hosts in his or her official capacity? Then the mayor would not have to rely on the generosity of his or her benefactors in River Oaks to do the honors. B) Heck, the land under the building is probably too valuable for that to ever happen even in a depressed market.

US Cities with Mayor's Mansions:

1.) Gracie Mansion in NYC, NY St.

2.) Manoogian Mansion in Detroit, MI

3.) Getty House in Los Angeles, CA

4.) Cableland in Denver, CO

On 6/8/2009 at 12:55 PM, Specwriter said:

Never really thought of doing this to the Kirby Mansion. I think thats a brilliant idea! Now with the plans to redo the Pierce, and the redevelopment of Midtown, etc... This now doesn't seem like a far-fetched idea.

On 6/8/2009 at 12:55 PM, Specwriter said:

The property hasn't been owned by Gulf States Oil since 1989, when ownership transferred to University Savings, presumably through foreclosure. It's currently owned by Central Houston Auto Properties II LLC. A similarly named entity(minus the II) owns the Cadillac dealer property at Main and McGowen and the property on the West side of Main, across the street.

I'm surprised this almost 10 year old thread has been revived. I believe there is another that mentions the Kirby house as being owned by the same entity that owns the Cadillac dealership that is more recent. It also mentions the vulnerability of the mansion due to the possible wishes of its current owner.

I was "taken to school" regarding my mis-information on the Gracie mansion in that one. I still believe it would be nice for the City of Houston to have an "official mayor's residence" even if that person did not actually sleep there. It would be nice for receptions and visiting dignitaries. Bob Lanier had a much larger and fancier place when he was mayor IIRC.

Archived