Your Dream Home

IronTiger

Based on a few posts on people's thoughts, like Dan the Man's or TheNiche's, I was wondering what your dream home would be.

Mine of course, would include everything you'd expect to find in a rather palatial mansion. Grand atrium, sweeping staircase, home theater, gameroom, a huge kitchen, et cetera. Outdoor pool and maybe a waterslide. Definitely a "lazy river". The basement would have hobbies that I have no funds for currently, including a science lab and a model railroader's workshop.

And if I could go further, maybe I could install a small conference building and a larger pool house, plus an attached indoor rainforest (think the Butterfly Dome at the Houston Museum of Natural Science) and a secret dungeon underneath activated by pulling a lever that turns a staircase up into a staircase down...

Location, location, location.

About 800 sq. feet of inside rooms and another 1,000 sq. feet of porch and courtyard. Island style, no AC except in the bedrooms. Down island in the Caribbean. Grenadines.....either Bequia or Carriacou. Of course, the boat will cost as much as the house, but hey, gotta go fishing for dinner.

Something very atypical...maybe a clash between minimalist concrete (Tadao Ando style) and deconstructivist.

Solid finishes and honesty of material; none of that faux-finish mcmansion crap.

Various possible locations; inner loop, etc. Terraced landscaping, retaining walls, etc. Infinity pool around the back.

Believe it or not, both of my NicheLairs are modest compared to what I'd do with them without budget constraints. Scaling either concept up wouldn't be difficult. ...however, if there were no budget constraint at all, I'd never have considered either of them. The fact is, without a budget constraint, I'd have much grander plans than just a house.

Probably the first thing I'd do is finance the construction of something approximating the Freedom Ship, but much much larger. I would concurrently finance the construction of a fleet of armed privateer vessels with which to defend the Freedom Ship from attack, whether by pirates, terrorists, or sovereign nations. Offering free rent, no taxation, a lax regulatory environment, and rigorous immigration policy coupled with law enforcement of violent and property crimes strict enough to ensure absolute safety, I'd lure the corporate headquarters of many multi-national headquarters to my vessel. This would be my home, I would be the fleet admiral.

At some point, I'd probably try to develop nuclear weapons, ballistic missiles, and missile subs, and hold the world hostage. Not sure what I'd have to gain from that, since I already had an infinite supply of resources (somehow)...but it seems like something I would do.

Believe it or not, both of my NicheLairs are modest compared to what I'd do with them without budget constraints. Scaling either concept up wouldn't be difficult. ...however, if there were no budget constraint at all, I'd never have considered either of them. The fact is, without a budget constraint, I'd have much grander plans than just a house.

Probably the first thing I'd do is finance the construction of something approximating the Freedom Ship, but much much larger. I would concurrently finance the construction of a fleet of armed privateer vessels with which to defend the Freedom Ship from attack, whether by pirates, terrorists, or sovereign nations. Offering free rent, no taxation, a lax regulatory environment, and rigorous immigration policy coupled with law enforcement of violent and property crimes strict enough to ensure absolute safety, I'd lure the corporate headquarters of many multi-national headquarters to my vessel. This would be my home, I would be the fleet admiral.

At some point, I'd probably try to develop nuclear weapons, ballistic missiles, and missile subs, and hold the world hostage. Not sure what I'd have to gain from that, since I already had an infinite supply of resources (somehow)...but it seems like something I would do.

I can tell you right now, you are going to need a white long-haired cat.

flipper

Looking for a partner in crime? ;)

...and then the sports bar area in the "public" area. Although it's only serving patrons and running TVs during public events, it functions as a gym. It has 11 different events to 32 television monitors and six television screens. There's a regulation sand volleyball court, free-throw basketball court, a boxing ring for stage shows.

Heh. Perhaps the only thing more predictable than a middle-aged woman's island fantasy house is a twisted young man's Dr. No pretensions.

This is why I have to go so far down island, these men with their delusions of grandeur. Ruining the backyards of the west indies, I tell ya. Next thing you know, you've got Crab Key going up next door!

My parent's apartment would be in the basement. A ramp leads down to their pad, but they'd probably like windows. Too bad.

The pool will be an infinity pool, and feature a water basketball hoop, lazy river, two diving boards, a boardwalk crossing it, and aforementioned waterslide. Maybe a full-scale replica of the Hydra, or something.

Lots of acreage with a small house, maybe 1500 sf (which is almost double what I have now). I would like several tiny outbuildings for painting, writing, with a fenced area for the dogs to play. I would have a large kennel area with lots of rescue dogs and plenty of secure room to run...my own dog park so to speak. I would have low income housing right next door and I would lease to women escaping domestic abuse of themselves or their children. I would have low income housing for men that have had hard times and are trying to overcome their difficulties. If money was no issue for my housing, I would live humbly while trying to help others to do the same.

If so twisted, is it predictable?

Yes, quite. Some people prefer things less accepted or less popular, but even in their most amoral weirdness, humans are nothing if not predictable.

I like Emme's idea, because if things go bust for me, I could maybe hit her up for a place to stay. Help take care of the dogs in exchange for rent.

Lots of acreage with a small house, maybe 1500 sf (which is almost double what I have now). I would like several tiny outbuildings for painting, writing, with a fenced area for the dogs to play. I would have a large kennel area with lots of rescue dogs and plenty of secure room to run...my own dog park so to speak. I would have low income housing right next door and I would lease to women escaping domestic abuse of themselves or their children. I would have low income housing for men that have had hard times and are trying to overcome their difficulties. If money was no issue for my housing, I would live humbly while trying to help others to do the same.

Hey, I know where some acreage up on FM 2920 at Kuykendahl is available. It was slated to be an apartment complex, but the deal fell through. I understand the neighbors are every bit as caring and compassionate as you are. :)

Yes, quite. Some people prefer things less accepted or less popular, but even in their most amoral weirdness, humans are nothing if not predictable.

I know from observation that gnarled trees exist. They are uncommon, but not unusual. Therefore, I can accurately predict that both gnarled trees will continue to come about, just as you can. However, the precise nature of a gnarled tree is an uncertain matter. I can observe the folds in the bark of any one individual tree. I cannot observe the vastly more complicated internal structure of the tree without destroying that which makes it fascinating. Nor can I predict the folds, the directions, the implications of the gnarls.

Small house big acreage, but in a temperate zone city would be wonderful. Maybe Atlanta. But I'd be more inclined to do dog rescue than people rescue. I'd love to build the house out of reclaimed wood and architectural pieces from old Southern Homes and a few European elements thrown in. I think that would be Bliss.

My parent's apartment would be in the basement. A ramp leads down to their pad, but they'd probably like windows. Too bad.

Your dream home includes your parents living with you ?? This isn't the far east.

You need better dreams.

My dream home is a biologically modified tree, grown to exacting orthogonal specs and consisting of inherent passive systems like insect repellent, vent stack air circulation, and of course shade. I was inspired by those genetically modified "glow in the dark" tobacco plants.

I know from observation that gnarled trees exist. They are uncommon, but not unusual. Therefore, I can accurately predict that both gnarled trees will continue to come about, just as you can. However, the precise nature of a gnarled tree is an uncertain matter. I can observe the folds in the bark of any one individual tree. I cannot observe the vastly more complicated internal structure of the tree without destroying that which makes it fascinating. Nor can I predict the folds, the directions, the implications of the gnarls.

Yes, but the gnarled tree lacks free will.

Mere humans are entirely predictable. Will asserts itself, yet base instinct always governs will: Alive. Warm. Food. Shelter. Sex. Dominance. Repeat as necessary. The veneer of reason adds an additional set of motivations, all still predictable.

My dream home would be a modern home as I tend to prefer the mod designs of the 50s and 60s. Its inspiration would be this home on N. Parkwood.

100_2242.jpg

At two stories all, it would need a 2.5-3k square foot interior to entertain as well as house guests on a nice sized piece of land so the house won't look like it's been shoehorned onto the property. Because I grew up in a house from the 50s with a similar layout, I would like 3-4 bedrooms, 2-3 baths, (library/office/study, whatever you want to call it) kitchen (I want 2 ovens like they used to put in homes in the 50s and 60s) with a breakfast nook, dining room, family/entertainment room, garage apartment built adjacent to the garage as my "man cave" (you'll find out why I want it there later) formal living room (to actually be used!) with cool mod furniture. The driveway would be like the one in the photo with a car port. Beyond the carport, the driveway would make a sharp curve to the garage. Because I like cars, I would build a garage that would appear to only be a 2 car garage, but it will accommodate 4 cars max via a storage system utilizing a lift that would stack one car upon another (now you see why this car nut wants his man cave near the cars, lol). The lift would also allow me to tinker on the cars as well, which reminds me, the garage would need a/c as well. Gotta play in comfort, lol. I would include a pool and jacuzzi outside with a small pool storage house/junk room built to match the architecture of the home (not some Home Depot bought thing, eww!) as well as a medium sized patio with a cover. If there was a need for fencing around the house, I wouldn't want the wrought iron style, but something mod and unique that matches the style of the house.Instead of tearing down old growth and planting a bunch of saplings as they do today, I would want the old growth to be retained, as long as it wouldn't be a damage risk to the house during a hurricane.

Something small and lived in. Maybe Craftsman style with some usonian touches and definitely Vitruvian ideals.

Land large enough for a small greenhouse and room for gardening (and doesn't have to be full xeriscape, but definitely natives).

Two bedrooms/two baths would be plenty, a nice sized kitchen (I always seem to have lived in homes with tiny or awkward kitchens..), a study/library/music room, living area, and a detached or ventilated space for larger projects. I can't imagine all that taking up more than about 1,500 square feet of living space and maybe 9,000 square feet of land. And it's great that it's an attainable type of home.

Your dream home includes your parents living with you ?? This isn't the far east.

You need better dreams.

They'll be old and geriatric anyway. A staff of private nurses will attend to them when they're too old. After all, a huge house often is "too public", ya know what I mean?

Archived