The new TX Driver's License really ticks me off...

53 members have voted

1. 1. Isn't the new DL stupid?

• Yes. What's so great about Austin?
    • Come on, it's the state capital!

Because every time I pull it out, I have to look at a picture of Austin's skyline. Does this mean I am now a true Houstonian? Does this annoy anyone else?

post-8096-1244209376_thumb.png

from http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staf...on/pr042209.pdf

It would annoy me if it was Dallas.

Looks more like looking at the Texas State Capitol Building, and the ones in the background, are you sure they are all in Austin? Isn't one of those the BofA building here in Houston?

Personally I would rather have a Texas Drivers License... rather than An Austin Drivers License. The background could have been more appeasing to the rest of the state.

But in the end it is what it is, and as long as it serves it function, I don't care.

Aside from that Austin is too prominent, it's too cluttered and busy.

One of the reasons that I liked the Texas state quarter when it came out was that it was simple, clean, and symbolic. Very few other states had such a compelling design, IMO.

Can't believe the new ID is getting 42% support on this forum. While the old one could be better in terms of Texas icons - the capitol looks a lot like many others in the US, a big Texas star will be more identified with Texas - the new one erased any trace of Texas. Don't be surprised if you give it to a trooper in Wyoming and they ask you for the state where it was issued. There's no Texas flags, no Texas star, no cowboys; only a poorly scribbled 'Texas' on the corner. That skyline is only identifiable to a few Austonians and a lot of HAIFers as Austin skyline, the rest of us think it's New York.

I am due to renew next year. I will do it online and keep the old one on top of the new. I'll just remind myself to pull out the uglier one when the cashier asks for it. It won't take long before we get a new design going by how much un-Texas this one is.

• 1 month later...

I am due to renew next year. I will do it online and keep the old one on top of the new. I'll just remind myself to pull out the uglier one when the cashier asks for it. It won't take long before we get a new design going by how much un-Texas this one is.

Not to throw water on your attempt at not looking at the ugly DL, but it is illegal to carry 2 licenses.

• 1 year later...

Finally had to get the new one! :blink: Yes, the DL card is minor in the large scheme of thing but I have not met one person that likes the new design.

At least the previous was simple and clean or at least no one cared either way.

I think a good security code addition would be to have a scratch-n-sniff "Yellow Rose of Texas" feature.

On a more practical level, how come we have to go to far-flung neighborhoods to interact with Texas Department of Safety?

A small downtown or Midtown location would benefit many people.

I think a good security code addition would be to have a scratch-n-sniff "Yellow Rose of Texas" feature.

On a more practical level, how come we have to go to far-flung neighborhoods to interact with Texas Department of Safety?

A small downtown or Midtown location would benefit many people.

There might be one. But it might not be publicized.

Every state has rich people, celebrities, billionaires, former presidents, etc... These people need to go to the DMV and get their drivers license just like everyone else, but need to do it without interacting with the common people. I can't speak about Texas specifically, but I know that a couple of states I've lived in have had "secret" DMV offices for uncommon people.

The two I'm thinking of, however, were both in the very center of the largest cities in their state in the basements of generic government office building. By "secret" I mean that they're not signed as DMV offices, and are not included on public lists of DMV offices. But if you happen to stumble across one, any member of the public is allowed to use them.

I got my previous driver's license at one of these places. It was great -- no waiting.

There might be one. But it might not be publicized.

Every state has rich people, celebrities, billionaires, former presidents, etc... These people need to go to the DMV and get their drivers license just like everyone else, but need to do it without interacting with the common people. I can't speak about Texas specifically, but I know that a couple of states I've lived in have had "secret" DMV offices for uncommon people.

The two I'm thinking of, however, were both in the very center of the largest cities in their state in the basements of generic government office building. By "secret" I mean that they're not signed as DMV offices, and are not included on public lists of DMV offices. But if you happen to stumble across one, any member of the public is allowed to use them.

I got my previous driver's license at one of these places. It was great -- no waiting.

If I was to believe you.... oh, hell, I do.

Everyone has suspected this. When's the last time you saw Lynn Wyatt waiting patiently in line at the DMV?

Still, for we (the hoi polloi), a little more consideration would be appreciated.

In most circumstances you can just renew your DL online these days, well that's what I did this time.

You can avoid the line that way for sure ... and those common folks. ;)

Until my mother moved just a couple of years ago, she had a paper license with no photo. She lived in New Jersey where she'd been renewing her license by mail for decades. When she had to fly (usually out of Newark), she used her company's photo ID, and the TSA would have to accept it, since it happened all the time in that area.

Archived