Is this really our new license plate?

It's...uhhh...very sparkly. We need tiny, little, LED disco balls to hang from our license plate lights.

I'm hoping the sparkle is just the flash oicking up the metallic reflection all plates have. I was excited about getting a new plate design at first, but I think I will just move to the State of the Arts or my alma mater's plate. :(

It does look like it is made with glitter paint.

Funny how license plates have migrated from plain white metal plates to mini-advertising for the state. The last version was notable for the number of Texas references it packed it - the cowboy, space shuttle, cactus etc. The new one would be much improved by getting rid of the impressionistic flag and star on the top left.

Our license plates seem to have gone through a progression if increasing gayness. What was wrong with inexpensive, plain 80's plates?

I've been re-painting my Texas license plates, using white paint to cover-up the stuff at the top and bottom: the space shuttle, the cowboy, etc. I've basically returned it to the previous plain format. And I've researched this in the Texas law too, and it seems perfectly legal. The only thing the law requires is that the number be readable, the state name must be visible, and the little one-inch state outline must be there. Everything else is optional. I've been driving my altered plates around on both of my vehicles for several years now, and have not been challenged by police. If ticketed, I'll fight it, because the law is on my side.

Attached: photo of one of my altered license plates

post-7596-12475271923231_thumb.jpg

I've been re-painting my Texas license plates, using white paint to cover-up the stuff at the top and bottom: the space shuttle, the cowboy, etc. I've basically returned it to the previous plain format. And I've researched this in the Texas law too, and it seems perfectly legal. The only thing the law requires is that the number be readable, the state name must be visible, and the little one-inch state outline must be there. Everything else is optional. I've been driving my altered plates around on both of my vehicles for several years now, and have not been challenged by police. If ticketed, I'll fight it, because the law is on my side.

Attached: photo of one of my altered license plates

Why? Do you think yours looks better?

After seeing them in person, I kind of like the new look. But I found a few things that I don't like. The numbers and letters are not embossed, and the numbers are separated by a little Texas in the middle.

My question is why are the new plates not embossed? Its now harder to read the plates. By removing the little Texas in the middle and embossing the numbers and letters, they can make the new plates more readable.

After having just driven in 7 states, I can tell you of crazy license plates. Alabama is completely out of control with their 10,000 variations all for an extra fee. It was nuts. Other weird things: I think we saw a few Florida State (U) branded plates of Tennessee issue. It's a money maker for the states but it must drive law enforcement batshit crazy. And it seems that in Mississippi and Arkansas, quite a number of people just don't bother with license plates at all.

After seeing them in person, I kind of like the new look. But I found a few things that I don't like. The numbers and letters are not embossed, and the numbers are separated by a little Texas in the middle.

My question is why are the new plates not embossed? Its now harder to read the plates. By removing the little Texas in the middle and embossing the numbers and letters, they can make the new plates more readable.

They're not embossed because the state's no longer using that technique for making them. Basically, as I understand it, these new plates are essentially printed instead of painted, which is what allows them to use all the colors and such. They've been doing that with the specialty plates for a while, now.

I think the new way is cheaper...

I think the new plates are pretty. The old ones were so blah. They don't look "gay", just pretty. smile.gif

Now I'm curious as to what a "gay" license plate would look like. I suppose some sterotypical rainbow BS that every gay person adorns. mellow.gif

Now I'm curious as to what a "gay" license plate would look like. I suppose some sterotypical rainbow BS that every gay person adorns. mellow.gif

I thought they were the ones which had the rainbow colored picture of Texas between the first and second set of numbers.

I would still like to know why John Rich blokcs out all the stuff on his plates. They're his plates, he can do what he wants, I'm just curious for his motivation. Am I the only one that's curious? I've never seen it done before.

I would still like to know why John Rich blokcs out all the stuff on his plates. They're his plates, he can do what he wants, I'm just curious for his motivation. Am I the only one that's curious? I've never seen it done before.

I don't like all that artsy-fartsy stuff.

I like to be different.

I want to protest the state sending me new plates every few years, forcing me to memorize new numbers, when my old plain plates were still just fine.

I want to protest the state sending me new plates every few years, forcing me to memorize new numbers, when my old plain plates were still just fine.

It's weird how Texas requires you to change plates every few years while other states don't. In California, I believe that cars get one plate that stays with them until they change owners or leave the state. They had those old blue and yellow plates up until the late 80s, and today it's common to see older cars with the blue and yellow plates still driving around in Cali.

I don't like all that artsy-fartsy stuff.

I like to be different.

From the TxDOT website...

Plates are replaced every seven years due to the gradual loss of reflective material. If the renewal receipt indicates your plates are seven-years old, the county tax assessor-collector should automatically issue a new set of plates with the new windshield validation sticker at no additional charge when your registration is renewed. The old set of plates should be destroyed to prevent the possibility of fraudulent use.

Few...seven...close enough. And I must agree that your paint job IS different, in much the same way that a rusting 1974 single wide trailer is different.

I must agree that your paint job IS different, in much the same way that a rusting 1974 single wide trailer is different.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Different strokes for different folks.

Just because you disagree with me, doesn't mean you have to hurl insults.

It's possible to disagree without being disagreeable.

• 1 month later...

I've been seeing them more and more, too. They aren't growing on me. I have quite a while before I'll be up for new plates but I'll probably use that as the reason to get an organization donation plate (but not personalized...ew!) if I'm still in Texas.

I'd rather have one of these:

911234291_66621ad052.jpg?v=0

Just an FYI, this is a play off of Illinois' actual current plates. The Gotham font is exactly the same is Illinois, and they both have red numbers (though some IL plates have blue numbers), and the City of Gotham seal is actually a pic of Abe Lincoln on the IL plates

post-36-1252911236422_thumb.jpg

They've had these plates for about 7-8 years now and they are still one of my favorites.

That is the ugliest license plate I have seen out of all 50 States. What were they thinking? And it looks like they covered it in glitter.

I've used this joke before, but hell, it's the first time I've used it here. This plate looks like two X chromosomes got into a crayon and glitter battle with a Y chromosome. If it's not gay, then it's as least as fabulous as clear plastic stripper shoes.

They're not embossed because the state's no longer using that technique for making them. Basically, as I understand it, these new plates are essentially printed instead of painted, which is what allows them to use all the colors and such. They've been doing that with the specialty plates for a while, now.

I think the new way is cheaper...

But it's also now going to be impossible for the blind to accurately identify license plates. I hope they put some Braille lettering somewhere on the plates to prevent this gross miscarriage of the disability rights act, just like they have to do at drive-thru ATMs.

Archived