Weight Bearing Capacity of Floors

Does anyone have a website link or library reference for how to claculate/determine the weight bearing capacity of the floors in residential structures? Or know a structural engineer who does this type of analysis?

I don't want to overload the capacity of my new (new to me, built in 1990, block and beam) home's floor/foundation. I'm a bookophile, love antiques, and have a waterbed for my bad back. In short, my "stuff" weighs a couple of tons, probably more.

BTW, this is one of the most useful forums I've ever seen! Y'all are GREAT PEOPLE!!!

I don't want to overload the capacity of my new (new to me, built in 1990, block and beam) home's floor/foundation. I'm a bookophile, love antiques, and have a waterbed for my bad back. In short, my "stuff" weighs a couple of tons, probably more.

if you do have concerns, remember you can always add a beam and couple of piers in the area(s) of interest. i ended up doign that when i bought my house.

• 5 years later...

I guess this is a good thread to ask my question instead of creating a new thread.

I Live On The 2nd floor in an apartment building and was thinking of getting a bigger aquarium but don't know if the floor would take the weight.

I checked with the apartment office and they said it was ok, but they were barely listening and I think they are picturing a 10 gallon aquarium.

I have a 65 Gallon now and was hoping to upgrade to 150. The tank dimensions are 48 inches long, 24 inches wide and 31 inches tall.

The floors seem to be simple ply wood on top of 2 by eights spaced every 10 inches.

Any advice? I don't intend to fill the tank to the top but even then this thing could weigh over 1000 pounds in an area of 8 Sq feet.

The 65 gallon tank if full would be around 540 lbs plus the weight of the tank, so around 70 lbs per square foot live load. The floor structure was probably built to 40 lbs per square foot. With the big tank, you're looking at 125 lbs per square foot live load.

This is not good. If you put it in a closet where there is a much shorter joist span, that might help. And that's assuming the downstairs footprint is the same as yours.

Thanks innerlooper.

you lost me on the downstairs part, but yes, downstairs is identical.

The closet is wedged between an exterior wall and the bathroom if that helps any. I know they some times use extra supports underneath the bathtub.

Thanks anyway. I am going to try to get the tank, even if I keep it empty until I move. the price is too good to pass up.

Sorry for the confusion. The idea with the closet is, the floor joist span is relatively short (from load-bearing wall to l-b wall), assuming the walls downstairs are right below the upstairs walls. In a more complex structure, an unstairs closet might be over the middle of a downstairs living room and the span advantage is lost.

If your complex allows fluid-filled furniture upstairs, go for it. FWIW.

Archived