Landscaping ideas for this house?

I've searched all over for some landscaping ideas for this spanish style front but found little information. I think maybe people here can help me. There're a lot of houses in this style in the Houston area, but I haven't seen anyone with an appealing front(of course I haven't been all of the neighbourhoods). I also need advice on the type of bushes I can use as a hedge that requres minimal maintenance. Thanks in advance!

I've searched all over for some landscaping ideas for this spanish style front but found little information. I think maybe people here can help me. There're a lot of houses in this style in the Houston area, but I haven't seen anyone with an appealing front(of course I haven't been all of the neighbourhoods). I also need advice on the type of bushes I can use as a hedge that requres minimal maintenance. Thanks in advance!

Did there used to be three arches on that facade? I think I can see a ghost of them. That is a tough one. Maybe (I can't believe I am going to say this) a southwestern type landscaping, desert with rocks, succulents, etc. I'll be interested to see what others have to say. Check out realtor.com for San Diego or Reno and see if you see anything there that you like.

Did there used to be three arches on that facade? I think I can see a ghost of them. That is a tough one. Maybe (I can't believe I am going to say this) a southwestern type landscaping, desert with rocks, succulents, etc. I'll be interested to see what others have to say. Check out realtor.com for San Diego or Reno and see if you see anything there that you like.

Thanks for sharing the ideas. I'd like to add some green and flowers. Can't decide on the shape of the flower bed in front of the house.

Thanks for sharing the ideas. I'd like to add some green and flowers. Can't decide on the shape of the flower bed in front of the house.

I myself am a green and flower girl, too.

Definitely not square. I might paint the boards on the facade a softer color, although I don't know what. Even a deep red would be better than the brown. Put a nice water feature on the side of the yard, some benches or nice garden chairs next to it and a flowerbed encircling the benches. You can use high grasses, butterfly iris and sages to mix into the flower bed to offer more privacy.

I'd follow the arch pattern on the wall and put in an arched trellis (with flowers on it of course) and a mixture of large palm type in the back with tropical flowers.... Maybe you could even get away with a nice bush that has some brilliant flowers on it... Hibiscus? Something bright red that will *pop* againts that drab background...

Wow, due to the lack of trees (which equates to more sunlight), you can almost try anything. Here are some suggestions:

Oleanders (any color and they come in various heights, it just depends on what you're looking to do. THEY LOVE SUN) They look great in clusters and require very little water.

Hibiscus ( require frequent, 2-3times wk, watering and/or moist soil.) They really do "Pop" and tend to grow wide and tall, so please give them space.

Roses (Any type, as long as they get sun)

Magnolia (Midget) Trees (They usually flower, white/bronze, very well.) You could use 2 or 3 of these on each side of sidewalk.

Here's what I'd do:

You might even want to widen the front walk; it looks kind of skimpy. Consider using pavers similar in color to the brick on the house. Put in beds on both sides of the walk, following the contours of the walk. Plant a mixture of liriope and sun-loving annuals in these beds to draw the visitor's eye to the front gate.

Extend the beds across the front of the house with some low hedges. You said you wanted low-maintenance. I'd suggest Indian Hawthorne or Variegated Ligustrum. Both like sun and just need occasional trimming to keep their shape. The light colors in the variegated ligustrum would tie into the light colored brick. The darker Indian Hawthorne is for contrast, and the red undertones would tie into the brown trim. Plant some sun-loving annuals in front of the hedges for color. As far as shape goes, the bed across the front of the house could be straight, since the house is so orthogonal, or you could add a few contours that relate to the arches.

Since you have a giant blank wall with abundant sunlight, consider planting an espalier on the front of the house. Perhaps it could play off of the architecture of the house to highlight the arches? You could also add some dramatic lighting at night.

Plant a shrub ~6' high on the right corner of the house to visually balance the gate opening on the left side. Maybe a Japanese Yew.

Plant a shade bed around the tree and the low brick wall. Use low-maintenance plants such as aspidistras and mondo grass. Add some impatiens and caladiums for color in these areas.

Whatever you do, don't rush into any landscaping project. Take the time to pay attention to your yard and observe the light conditions at various times of the day throughout the year. Doing so will help you select the right plants for the right places. Otherwise, you'll just get frustrated trying to fight Mother Nature, and she always wins. Consider phasing the project, it will give you more time to plan and decide what you want. More importantly, it will be easier on your pocketbook; re-landscaping a yard can get expensive, especially if you don't do all the work yourself.

I posted this in another thread; it may give you some good ideas for plant variety:

Just how much maintenance are you willing to perform each year on the greenery? Usually, even "low maintenance" plants require a decent deal of pruning and shaping each year, unless you're really into the "wild look".

From my personal experience and observations, I can give you the following when it comes to good plants for your situation:

-Vitex/Chaste Tree: Requires minimal pruning; just a bit of shaping in the first couple of years, has beautiful blooms several times each year. Fast growth rate, suitable for xeriscaping, attracts butterflies and hummingbirds.

-Southern Waxmyrtle: Native to the region, pleasing growth habit; best left un-pruned save for some shaping at the bottom as it gets taller. Fast growth rate, tolerant of some shade.

Bottlebrush: Fast growing, blooms many times each year. Requires minimal pruning, and is an excellent hedge plant. Drought tolerant, as it is an Australian native. Attracts hummingbirds en masse.

Pomegranate: Does quite well in this region, if fruits are not a main concern. Grows quickly, has beautiful blooms now and then. May require some shaping at first, but it can make a nice hedging plant. Drought tolerant.

Yellow Esperanza: Requires a nice pruning at the start of each year for optimal blooming; however, it will be worth it, as it will be profusely covered in yellow blooms all year from May til frost. Drought tolerant, attracts butterflies and hummingbirds.

Red Knock-Out Rose: Requires only occasional pruning to maintain a dense growth habit. Nearly nonstop blooming, and invincible when it comes to rose related diseases. One of my personal faves.

For additional resources, contact your local extension office, or visit the following links:

http://www.plantsfortexas.com/plantlist.html

http://texassuperstar.com/plants.html

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamen...ndexcommon.html

I hope this helps, and happy gardening!

Oh, and do NOT under ANY circumstances purchase Ligustrum, or Red Tip Photinias! They are overused, and quite prone to several deadly fungal diseases!

Here's what I'd do:

You might even want to widen the front walk; it looks kind of skimpy. Consider using pavers similar in color to the brick on the house. Put in beds on both sides of the walk, following the contours of the walk. Plant a mixture of liriope and sun-loving annuals in these beds to draw the visitor's eye to the front gate.

Extend the beds across the front of the house with some low hedges. You said you wanted low-maintenance. I'd suggest Indian Hawthorne or Variegated Ligustrum. Both like sun and just need occasional trimming to keep their shape. The light colors in the variegated ligustrum would tie into the light colored brick. The darker Indian Hawthorne is for contrast, and the red undertones would tie into the brown trim. Plant some sun-loving annuals in front of the hedges for color. As far as shape goes, the bed across the front of the house could be straight, since the house is so orthogonal, or you could add a few contours that relate to the arches.

Since you have a giant blank wall with abundant sunlight, consider planting an espalier on the front of the house. Perhaps it could play off of the architecture of the house to highlight the arches? You could also add some dramatic lighting at night.

Plant a shrub ~6' high on the right corner of the house to visually balance the gate opening on the left side. Maybe a Japanese Yew.

Plant a shade bed around the tree and the low brick wall. Use low-maintenance plants such as aspidistras and mondo grass. Add some impatiens and caladiums for color in these areas.

Whatever you do, don't rush into any landscaping project. Take the time to pay attention to your yard and observe the light conditions at various times of the day throughout the year. Doing so will help you select the right plants for the right places. Otherwise, you'll just get frustrated trying to fight Mother Nature, and she always wins. Consider phasing the project, it will give you more time to plan and decide what you want. More importantly, it will be easier on your pocketbook; re-landscaping a yard can get expensive, especially if you don't do all the work yourself.

The front of the house faces north, so sunlight is Ok but not great. The two plants I currently have there in front of the side wall are Hibiscus. They don't do well in most time of the year due to the lack of sunlight. I'm thinking of replacing them with two camelias? I like your recommendation on the shape of the flower bed. I also agree that a small tree is needed at the right side to balance the view. Thanks a lot!

I posted this in another thread; it may give you some good ideas for plant variety:

Oh, and do NOT under ANY circumstances purchase Ligustrum, or Red Tip Photinias! They are overused, and quite prone to several deadly fungal diseases!

I agree, we had to remove a dead Red Tip Photinias not long ago. What about a red maple? Maybe somewhere closer to the curb? I like colors all year long and hope a small ornamental tree can add color and also balance the view.

I second sticking to natives (or even xeriscape) and staying away from red tips and ligustrum (not a fan at all of Indian Hawthorne, but it seems to be hardy).

I can only see a small picture of the house (mobile) so maybe I can add more later about design.

What is your idea of minimal maintenance?

I second sticking to natives (or even xeriscape) and staying away from red tips and ligustrum (not a fan at all of Indian Hawthorne, but it seems to be hardy).

I can only see a small picture of the house (mobile) so maybe I can add more later about design.

What is your idea of minimal maintenance?

I don't mind pulling the weeds or pruning once a quarter... but not anything has to be in a certain shape which requires trimming every week. Thanks!

I agree, we had to remove a dead Red Tip Photinias not long ago. What about a red maple? Maybe somewhere closer to the curb? I like colors all year long and hope a small ornamental tree can add color and also balance the view.

The red maple may become too large for your yard, as you already have a nice and massive live oak. You may just want to get some crape myrtles for the sunny portions, as many of them have colourful foliage in the autumn. There are also certain cultivars of Redbud that would go great in the shadier parts of the yard; many have maroon leaves in the spring.

Archived