Gallery Furniture At 6006 North Fwy.

Does anyone know yet how the blaze started? Mattress Mac is a good guy, and the merchandise I've bought there has always been high quality. Hate to hear this. He has given so much back to this city. Guess that's why we have insurance. I can remember his first commercials, on ch. 39 or 26. My dad & I thought, who is this guy? He's always in the store when we go there, still always working hard. Has spoken to us about British soccer teams, before. Know he loves sports. Hate to see his sports collection damaged.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard on the news this morning that the fire was strictly in the warehouse area. A firewall protected the "jewels" in the showroom. Ch 2 actually had Mack on the phone.

Well, from looking at the various footage from the different stations, from what I've been able to gather was that the generator was located just OUTSIDE of the warehouse fire.

I asked a friend about it and he commented that failures do occasionally happen, but when you have a failure, it's pretty bad, particularly if it gets hot enough for the oil to ignite.

Well, from looking at the various footage from the different stations, from what I've been able to gather was that the generator was located just OUTSIDE of the warehouse fire.

I asked a friend about it and he commented that failures do occasionally happen, but when you have a failure, it's pretty bad, particularly if it gets hot enough for the oil to ignite.

I assume you mean diesel since most generators are fueled by either diesel or natural gas. Looking at the pictures I would be very suprised if the fire started on the exterior of the building.

I think that confirms the story that the generator was a very unlikely cause

The paper says that it started in an area that's usually not visited by the public, so my guess would be that they're going to be taking a closer look at all of the employees, no?

I have heard that Mack can be hard to work for at times (he expects everyone to work as hard as he does, obviously), so the disgruntled employee theory makes a bit of sense to me.

What about Mack himself?

I think that confirms the story that the generator was a very unlikely cause

The paper says that it started in an area that's usually not visited by the public, so my guess would be that they're going to be taking a closer look at all of the employees, no?

I have heard that Mack can be hard to work for at times (he expects everyone to work as hard as he does, obviously), so the disgruntled employee theory makes a bit of sense to me.

What about Mack himself?

He did recently commit to and open a new location that is much higher end than the I-45 location. But if that were the case, that would be a pretty serious contradiction to the man we have all come to know. Anything is possible, but I highly doubt it. If nothing else, he seems to exhibit great pride of ownership.

This one will be interesting to watch. WHy would anyone want to do such a thing that could not only have injured or killed somebody, but also put so many hard working people out of business. I'm thinking crime of passion rather than premeditated. and if it is a crime of passion (rage), it should be solved pretty quickly.

Anyone notice that the Chron story doesn't have reader comments enabled??? Heh. That's the quid pro quo for buying 1 and 2 full color ads to run ad infinitum.

Unless we start seeing random arson fires at other, similar targets, there seem to be only 2 reasonable explanations: disgruntled employee/customer/competitor, or Mack himself. Maybe this will turn into a big, juicy story with good old-fashioned criminal intrigue. Too bad we can't trust the Chron to report on it fairly.

He did recently commit to and open a new location that is much higher end than the I-45 location. But if that were the case, that would be a pretty serious contradiction to the man we have all come to know. Anything is possible, but I highly doubt it. If nothing else, he seems to exhibit great pride of ownership.

Also, this was the warehouse that serves both locations. It's the resource for his "buy it t-day, you'll get it t-day" promise.

The very first thing I said to my husband after the fire was that Mac must be trying to drive more traffic to his new location on Post Oak. Evidently I'm not alone in that theory. (But I also think Ken Lay is alive and well in another country with a new face). Also, Gallery Furniture has another warehouse in Sugar Land that they kept referring to on the numerous news reports that the fire generated. At one point, all three local networks were reporting on the fire simultaneously, not to mention the individual interviews with Mac. He could not have purchased this kind of coverage and publicity. And it presents him in a very sympathetic light. Mac is NOT the sweet humble man he presents himself to be, based on many stories I've heard from ex-employees, vendors and even some friends in the media. He might not have struck the match but he could have paid someone else to do it. Stay tuned....... :unsure:

The very first thing I said to my husband after the fire was that Mac must be trying to drive more traffic to his new location on Post Oak. Evidently I'm not alone in that theory. (But I also think Ken Lay is alive and well in another country with a new face). Also, Gallery Furniture has another warehouse in Sugar Land that they kept referring to on the numerous news reports that the fire generated. At one point, all three local networks were reporting on the fire simultaneously, not to mention the individual interviews with Mac. He could not have purchased this kind of coverage and publicity. And it presents him in a very sympathetic light. Mac is NOT the sweet humble man he presents himself to be, based on many stories I've heard from ex-employees, vendors and even some friends in the media. He might not have struck the match but he could have paid someone else to do it. Stay tuned....... :unsure:

Let me go get my foil hat on...

flipper

I seriously doubt Mack did it to himself. I too have heard many people say that he can sometimes not be a very nice person, but that doesn't mean he would torch his own business, not to mention do it at a time when hundreds of people are inside.

And the Sugar Land postdates the fire - it was vacant a week ago until Mack found it as an emergency replacement, IIRC.

Wealthy, powerful businessmen-- upstanding, philanthropic citizens-- have a demonstrated record of doing dangerous, destructive, criminal things that make no sense. People who understand arson well could probably recite a litany of all the ways arsonists are the people you'd swear couldn't be responsible.

I don't want him to be guilty of arson, but OTOH I have no reason to believe he is above the fray. That's not a conspiracy, it's merely a reasonable observation.

My friend at work sez it's that Hilton Furniture chainsaw guy. Hmmmmmm.

Wealthy, powerful businessmen-- upstanding, philanthropic citizens-- have a demonstrated record of doing dangerous, destructive, criminal things that make no sense. People who understand arson well could probably recite a litany of all the ways arsonists are the people you'd swear couldn't be responsible.

I don't want him to be guilty of arson, but OTOH I have no reason to believe he is above the fray. That's not a conspiracy, it's merely a reasonable observation.

My friend at work sez it's that Hilton Furniture chainsaw guy. Hmmmmmm.

Nope, he would have cut it down.

Archived