Gallery Furniture At 6006 North Fwy.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mattress Mac will be just fine. He managed to get a plug in for his new store at the Post Oak location.

He is a good man. When my mother's house burned down in 2002, we went there to buy her a new bed. When I mentioned that her house had burned, the salesman grilled us to be sure that she had insurance and was in a position to be able to afford her new bed. He asked several times if we were sure she didn't need any help (in a nice unobtrusive manner). I could tell that if the answer had been negative they would do something for her.

Years before that, a group for which I am a member was doing a raffle to help a halfway house. With no questions asked, he donated a living room full of new furniture.

I will always remember that.

This is indeed sad.

From what I've heard on the news a generator burst into flames, and the warehouse workers were able to put it out, or so they thought... the flames came back and were more than could be fought with fire extinguishers. Currently a 4 alarm blaze now.

So far the warehouse is a complete loss but the showroom isn't burning... but I'm sure there is massive smoke damage

Holy Crap! Those pictures are incredible! I was watching the Astros and then clicked on this thread and turned on the News. WOW! There are throngs of people watching from the surrounding streets.

Right now they say that it's contained to the warehouse and hasn't spread to the store itself.

Mack told 13 that the Post Oak location will be open at 9AM tomorrow. He says he's not promising same day delivery. Very clear about the ops.

Mack also reports that there are firewalls between the warehouse and showroom. His daughter, standing next to him (apparently supporting him), reports smoke billowing out of the showroom. He looked pale.

I know he's insured. Still, I feel for him. Business people build their lives around their businesses. This kind of injury is not easy.

Havent seen it on any news outlet yet, but I have a friend stuck in traffic on I-45 north who just texted me that Gallery Furniture is currently burning to the ground.

Are you kidding? Fox interruped some show to show around 8(and non stop"its been upgraded to 4 alarm"Yeah i know what that is...) this crap...After i went a few times and heard "mac" talk to his employees like crap i left...Not "breaking news" worthy.

Are you kidding? Fox interruped some show to show around 8(and non stop"its been upgraded to 4 alarm"Yeah i know what that is...) this crap...After i went a few times and heard "mac" talk to his employees like crap i left...Not "breaking news" worthy.

Firefighters are battling a four-alarm blaze at a Gallery Furniture warehouse next to the main store on I-45 North. The fire, which broke out at about 8:40, has created a traffic tie-up on the freeway as an increasing number of emergency vehicles respond

How they reported it 8 is some helluva precognitive voodoo I'd like to learn.

It was not on the website of 11, 2, 13, or Chron when i posted 25 minutes later. It was on fox, i noticed after i posted.

Regardless... i thought it very breaking news worthy.. so piss off.

So sad. Never bought anything from them but im a native houstonian and grew up with matress mac. Dont know if any of yall saw him on Dr. Phil with his OCD daughter, but I had a new respect for him after that. Bottom line is he loves Houston, and has done so much for our great city.

Firefighters are battling a four-alarm blaze at a Gallery Furniture warehouse next to the main store on I-45 North. The fire, which broke out at about 8:40, has created a traffic tie-up on the freeway as an increasing number of emergency vehicles respond

How they reported it 8 is some helluva precognitive voodoo I'd like to learn.

It was not on the website of 11, 2, 13, or Chron when i posted 25 minutes later. It was on fox, i noticed after i posted.

Regardless... i thought it very breaking news worthy.. so piss off.

I had seen it before 9(a few mins...!?) on fox because the place i work at was still open(we close at 9)The chron had it on around 930 pm ish . the not very "breaking news worthy" was for the MEDIA. Did you watch how Fox showed it? Firefighters said they are ...Firefighters said...If they plan to interupt a show atleast get some stuff planned out. Mike couldn't even speak right! That's what i meant. There was nothing in my post directed to you for the "piss off" comment. Since you posted in crater houston i'd figure you didn't like the massive circus looking building as much as i did :)

Granted i know people personally who have gotten free WHOLE house furniture thanks to him so. So i know his generosity i just didn't like how he was to his staff.

Does anyone know if the fire has spread to the showroom?

I heard that only smoke got into the showroom.

The Chron reports that Mack was filiming a new ad this morning to remind people about the Post Oak location.

An old generator and a warehouse FULL of furniture in a struggling economy ? The Perfect Storm, maybe?

Yeah, my cynical side thought that too, especially with him having committed to the new Post Oak location. But these things happen in good times and bad, and I will give Mac the benefit of the doubt. That location is much too lucrative for him. Totally different audience at Post Oak.

It's kind of cold how the Chronicle has an Ashley Furniture advertisement popup on the front webpage, directly above a photo of the fire. :(

I thought that was sort of ironic myself along with the Star and Rooms to Go ads on 13 this morning.

Archived