Sign in to follow this  
jpedders

Bethel Baptist Church

About a month ago I saw a gathering of news crews and people at the Bethel Baptist Church at Andrews and Crosby. I spoke to a representative from the Mayors office who mentioned that the City had entered into an agreement to purchase the property and turn it into a public plaza. The plan was to study if the facade of the building could be preserved...ala Coventry Cathedral.

It appears that work has begun on bracing the facade and cleaning up the property as of last weekend. Andrews Street has been closed at the church and crews are there.

post-6292-1242830709_thumb.jpg

Edited by jpedders

Thanks for the link. The church sits right behind my property so I'm pretty excited about the project.

Edited by jpedders

That area north of Gray, west of downtown, east of Taft, south of Allen Parkway can be kinda scary at night...I love the look of this project, but I don't know that I'll visit it often and that makes me sad. :/

The neighborhood around the church is all new townhomes, Edge condos and Post Midtown. Not bad at night but gets worse to the west a few blocks. I walk around there all the time at night but usually within confines of the new apartments so it's well lit.