Harris County Saves $110 Million on Construction Projects

editor

HARRIS COUNTY SAVES $110 MILLION

ON EIGHT LARGE CONSTRUCTION CONTRACTS

Economy Pushes Project Costs More Than 33% Below Estimates

Harris County Commissioners Court saved taxpayers approximately $110 million Tuesday morning, when it approved a series of major construction programs for far less than originally estimated.

The court approved bids on $222 million in projects ranging from construction of portions of the Sam Houston Tollway East to a new Jury Assembly Building in downtown Houston. County officials originally estimated the projects would cost as much as $332 million, but large savings on construction materials and a more competitive construction environment pushed costs down for taxpayers, county officials said.

"While no one hopes for a down economy, it does create an opportunity for Harris County to accomplish many of our more expensive long-term projects for far less money than we might otherwise be able to," said Harris County Judge Ed Emmett. "It also has the added benefit of keeping Harris County residents working and getting our traffic moving."

Rich Elwood, Harris County's deputy director of construction programs, said most of the savings come from greater competition among construction companies vying for county work.

"The competition is stiffer," Elwood said. "There are more contractors out there bidding, which makes for a more advantageous environment for the county. It's a win-win situation. Contractors keep working, and taxpayers are getting a break."

Taxpayers saved at least $1 million on each of the eight projects approved by Commissioners Court on Tuesday, with the largest savings coming in at $31.6 million on construction of part of the Sam Houston Tollway East.

• 2 months later...

Construcion begins on the new Jury Assembly Center next week.

The new jury assembly room will be built in the area in front of the civil courthouse on what is now a one square block surface parking lot. But it will be built underground, so the parking lot becomes green space and potential jurors have access to more parking garages and underground access to all the courts.

The Story at KUHF - Houston Public Radio

New-Jury-Assembly-Room.png

This is awesome news, of course, this is going to piss quite a few people off that need to park in that area, plus the construction is going to make the congestion there even worse.

At least I won't have jury duty again for a couple of years!

Are they still going to keep the old place open, or are they going to convert it for another use?

This is awesome news, of course, this is going to piss quite a few people off that need to park in that area, plus the construction is going to make the congestion there even worse.

At least I won't have jury duty again for a couple of years!

Are they still going to keep the old place open, or are they going to convert it for another use?

You can park along the Red Line and take it. Metro ride is free with a jury summons. But, I see now that you're talking about peeps that park there regularly. At least, this will kill another surface lot. Maybe that'll encourage 'them' to build another parking garage with fabulous 1st floor retail! on another surface lot?

You can park along the Red Line and take it. Metro ride is free with a jury summons. But, I see now that you're talking about peeps that park there regularly. At least, this will kill another surface lot. Maybe that'll encourage 'them' to build another parking garage with fabulous 1st floor retail! on another surface lot?

When *I* had jury duty, I took full advantage of my free trip on metro to get there. I knew better than to screw around with that parking (except for that one time I slept late. Oops!). Would be an interesting stat to see how many people take advantage or are aware of it, though.

I hope they call the park "Justice" square since it's almost surrounded by courthouses.

Maybe even "Zindler" Plaza?

Any word on what they're going to do with 1301 Franklin old Jail? If you consider a 30 yr old building old.

Actually, they added 4 floors to the county parking garage in anticipation of building this jury room.

Ricco, the old jury room will be closed and likely repurposed after the new jury assembly room opens.

1301 Franklin is now a records storage facility.

Oh, and there are courthouses on all four sides. From the north, going clockwise, it is Criminal, Civil, Juvenile and Family. I didn't count anything that was cattywampus.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

1910 Courthouse rededication is at noon. http://blog.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2011/08/crown-jewel-of-harris-county-government-finally-gets-to-shine/

My memory of this building is of it being dark and creepy - but way cool.

In the photos section, check out the last one of the 1880's courhouse that was previously there.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived