Looked at this one yesterday

Scott08

I toured this house in Shepherd Forest yesterday with my realtor, http://search.har.com/engine/doSearch.cfm?...&FOR_SALE=1 .

Too much work for me versus the property's inherent value. Bones are still good but it's got lots of things I would want to change, first off adding central air to displace the window units. Also the kitchen layout is really pretty modern for a 60's design but the cabinetry/appliances are really dated and not in a good MCM manner. The other turnoff for me was an apparent addition/remodel to the left side of the house as seen from the front view. I think it was originally a one car garage on the end with an attached breezeway to the house but many years ago was enclosed in, so you've got two rooms without a real purpose grafted on to the main living areas. Looks structurally sound but a fair amount of deferred maintenance. Shepherd Forest is an interesting area. It's directly outside the loop, good access to downtown/uptown, etc. but lacks the "trendiness" of the neighborhoods right across 610 from it and the prices reflect it. I suspect they will have to drop the price quite a bit for a quick sale.

I toured this house in Shepherd Forest yesterday with my realtor, http://search.har.com/engine/doSearch.cfm?...&FOR_SALE=1 .

Too much work for me versus the property's inherent value. Bones are still good but it's got lots of things I would want to change, first off adding central air to displace the window units. Also the kitchen layout is really pretty modern for a 60's design but the cabinetry/appliances are really dated and not in a good MCM manner. The other turnoff for me was an apparent addition/remodel to the left side of the house as seen from the front view. I think it was originally a one car garage on the end with an attached breezeway to the house but many years ago was enclosed in, so you've got two rooms without a real purpose grafted on to the main living areas. Looks structurally sound but a fair amount of deferred maintenance. Shepherd Forest is an interesting area. It's directly outside the loop, good access to downtown/uptown, etc. but lacks the "trendiness" of the neighborhoods right across 610 from it and the prices reflect it. I suspect they will have to drop the price quite a bit for a quick sale.

I like the Shepherd Forest/Oak Forest/Garden Oaks area a lot. Have you looked at the homes in Lazybrook or Timbergrove on the other side of 610? Those homes may interest you...

I like the Shepherd Forest/Oak Forest/Garden Oaks area a lot. Have you looked at the homes in Lazybrook or Timbergrove on the other side of 610? Those homes may interest you...

The first MCM I really, really wanted and could have afforded was in Timbergrove. By the time I went to its open house it was already sold. All the others I have seen come up since then have been way overpriced IMO, $400K+.

The first MCM I really, really wanted and could have afforded was in Timbergrove. By the time I went to its open house it was already sold. All the others I have seen come up since then have been way overpriced IMO, $400K+.

which one was it? what address?

which one was it? what address?

Woodbrook. It had been a flipper remake but they had done a pretty good job of keeping the character. I didn't realize until later though that it was deeply into the floodzone.

Thumbs up! Are there many of these over there? I hate to admit it, but I'm pretty unfamiliar with that area aside from the main drives and the one or two mods of the month we've done on the "north side". Seems like it would be due for an upswing in value there.

There's kind of two distinct sections of Shepherd Forest. This house is east of Ella, the houses and lots seem to be a bit larger (and I think a few years older in general.) Not too many MCM's of this variety, maybe one out of 20, but lots of ranchers with at least some MCM elements. The western section between TC Jester and Ella has more MCM's, maybe one out of 10, but most of that section flooded during Allison and is in the TSARP flood maps. Those houses seem a bit smaller on smaller lots. It's almost like the forgotten pocket of the area. Of course anything on the other side of the loop is considered "trendy" and Oak Forest and Garden Oaks immediately adjacent to it are on the rise in value. My guess is that when the innerloop Heights block fills out and gets too pricey, this area will start being more of a viable alternative than it is now.

To add to my original comments about this house in particular, maybe I'm too picky. Ideally, I'd like to find a MCM in mostly original condition, even if it needed lots of maintenance. It seems much harder to go back and undo things that were done after the fact. A co-worker who lives nearby to this says it's probably had 4-5 owners and I suspect (trying not to sound smug here) most of them just bought it for the location, etc, not because of its style. I've been through a few MCM's this past couple of years where the current residents have gone out of their way to hide the modernist roots of the house rather than embrace it. This house fell into that category to me.

Thumbs up! Are there many of these over there? I hate to admit it, but I'm pretty unfamiliar with that area aside from the main drives and the one or two mods of the month we've done on the "north side". Seems like it would be due for an upswing in value there.

Mostly 50s Ranch, but the occasional MCM does pop up. There has been an upswing in full swing for a while...

My last house was a cool little ranch between Donna Bell and TC Jester West in Oak Forest. I liked it alot over there, but McMansions are taking over in a big way. I don't think Shepherd Forest has the McMansion problem yet.

There is a neighborhood just west of Oak Forest called Mangum Manor. One street in that neighborhood had to be Parade of Homes because there are about 5 or 6 mods in a row on that street. Most appear to be in the hands of good owners. Can't remember the name of the street but next time I'm in the area I'll snap some photos.

Archived