The Heights Craftsman Style Homes

SaintCyr

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I'd classify it as a "craftsman".. but nice nonetheless..

I approve.. :)

Edit: scrolled down to the location.. hmm.. the price is a little "m e h" for this location.. but gotta start somewhere!

I can't imagine paying 2/3rds of a million dollars for it, but it's still a nice looking house even as oversized as it is.

A couple of things I noticed -- is that a microwave lodged into the bottom-side of the center island? Seems a little too inconvenient for the sake of style. Also, it surprises me how many people/builders want to install flat screen televisions above fireplaces. Every professional installer guide I've read discourages this practice, not just due to the excessive heat but also because of the viewing angle, which is best head-on (especially with LCD displays).

I don't mind this design, but those columns bother me, they are too skinny at the top, IMO. At least it doesn't look totally out of place, in that neighborhood. But I can't recall seeing too many original craftman bungalow styles in Houston, with a full stacked second story. Usually there is just a smaller second story, like a caboose house. I also don't like to see so much white, in the kitchen and bathrooms. Bungalow's have more stained wood.

But I can't recall seeing too many original craftman bungalow styles in Houston, with a full stacked second story. Usually there is just a smaller second story, like a caboose house. I also don't like to see so much white, in the kitchen and bathrooms. Bungalow's have more stained wood.

Correct - The Arts & Crafts movement, of which Craftsman Architecture is a part of, advocated being closer to nature. For this reason, Craftsman homes usually incorporate natural materials, such as stained wood, stone, or wood painted with earth tones. In addition, the proportions of Craftsman homes tend to be more horizontal, in an attempt to be "closer to the earth." You almost never see a full second story in true examples. Most houses are only 1 1/2 stories with dormers and a finished attic. Occasionally, you may see an "airplane bungalow" that has a full second story, but the second floor plate is much smaller than the first and it pops up through part of the roof, keeping the horizontal proportions of the house.

Airplane Bungalow:

2766385291_cf2eca6af6.jpg

These are pretty rare in Houston. I think there are a few in Eastwood.

I don't mind this design, but those columns bother me, they are too skinny at the top, IMO. At least it doesn't look totally out of place, in that neighborhood. But I can't recall seeing too many original craftman bungalow styles in Houston, with a full stacked second story. Usually there is just a smaller second story, like a caboose house. I also don't like to see so much white, in the kitchen and bathrooms. Bungalow's have more stained wood.

I know what you mean but all that dark wood makes the space seem smaller. When we remodeled our bungalow our designer spec'd white paint for the kitchen and bathrooms. I demurred (like you wanting stained wood) but he persisted and I'm glad he did. Not true Craftsman but if I'm living in a small house I want as many illusions of space as I can get.

This is down the street from us... When they first completed the house and started doing open houses the hubby and I went down to take a look because the price totally flabbergasted us! It's a beautiful house inside... but we both agreed, WAY overpriced for this area. I'm sure that turns a lot of people off. Funny thing is, since it's now been listed with a real estate agency, the price has gone UP by about 25k.

Barracuda... the microwave is indeed under the island, I questioned the location (particularly because we have small children who like to push buttons) and she replied "it locks." lol I don't know... seemed like a VERY odd location to me.

Barracuda... the microwave is indeed under the island, I questioned the location (particularly because we have small children who like to push buttons) and she replied "it locks." lol I don't know... seemed like a VERY odd location to me.

this is very common in new construction these days. i guess it doesn't take up counter space and you can have a vent over the stove? this is not limited to houston- two friends in san diego have this in their new homes...

I know what you mean but all that dark wood makes the space seem smaller. When we remodeled our bungalow our designer spec'd white paint for the kitchen and bathrooms. I demurred (like you wanting stained wood) but he persisted and I'm glad he did. Not true Craftsman but if I'm living in a small house I want as many illusions of space as I can get.

True, the old ones are very dark, but maybe a light stain would be nice, can't recall what my great-grandmother had in hers, but didn't seem that dark...I'm just a wood lover...I just get tired of all that white. My house has it, bathrooms, as well. The house I grew up in (a very basic 1950's ranch) had a honey (medium brown) colored stain on the trim, with wooden floors & stained wood doors, was very nice.

Went to the open house on Sunday and I have to say that I wasn't impressed with the quality of the work or the quality of the materials used. There were a lot of places that showed quick finishes and no attention to detail. It reminded me a lot of the kind of work you would see in a townhome... Nails sticking out, unfinished corners, doors with mis-aligned latches, hollow core doors, cheap one coat paint jobs, gaps in the grout work and just an unsturdy feel... Not worth the price tag, thats for sure.

this is very common in new construction these days. i guess it doesn't take up counter space and you can have a vent over the stove? this is not limited to houston- two friends in san diego have this in their new homes...

Wheelchair accessible, or maybe even child accessible? You wouldn't want a toddler using the microwave, but it can certainly make sense for a supervised 8-year old to use it.

We have a microwave under the counter as well. Works fine for us once we got used to it and in a small kitchen saves a lot of counter space. We have a toddler too and after a few stern words the first time he went near it, the two have co-existed quite happily.

A huge price tag completely out of sync with the neighbourhood is another badge the typical McMansion wears with pride. Anyone in the market for one of these homes isn't going to worry too much about being the most expensive house on the block, in fact they seem to covet it. The one opposite us carried an initial price tag 3-4 times times that of the average bungalow on the street. A succession of high end chariots (7 series BMs, 600 Mercs) pulled up to take a look - we even saw Ken and Linda Lay look at it one Saturday afternoon. It took six months to move it and a slight drop in price but eventually someone bought it. Bizarrely, and bucking the McMansion trait trend, he does his own yardwork.

Went to the open house on Sunday and I have to say that I wasn't impressed with the quality of the work or the quality of the materials used. There were a lot of places that showed quick finishes and no attention to detail. It reminded me a lot of the kind of work you would see in a townhome... Nails sticking out, unfinished corners, doors with mis-aligned latches, hollow core doors, cheap one coat paint jobs, gaps in the grout work and just an unsturdy feel... Not worth the price tag, thats for sure.

To me, the house looks distended/tumid.

And that's unfortunate about the junk work on the house - it sounds like the McCustom I saw a couple weekends ago in Bellaire.

I don't think we paid that much attention simply because... we'd never spend that much on a house! lol That is a shame though... You would think (hope) they'd have finished it out decently.

It's over 200k more than the house at the corner of Nicholson (i think... might be Lawrence?) which is why I was so shocked at the price tag. It sold about a year ago... Property/house values haven't gone up that much!

If you ditched the port-cochere and the bit protruding off the right side of the facade, extending the porch for the full width, it wouldn't look half-bad. $220/sf is a little spendy in that part of the heights, especially with that big steel wire factory a block away. Granted, it's at least on a full-size lot, but with no alley access, a lot of what could have been yard space becomes driveway.

We have a microwave under the counter as well. Works fine for us once we got used to it and in a small kitchen saves a lot of counter space. We have a toddler too and after a few stern words the first time he went near it, the two have co-existed quite happily.

A huge price tag completely out of sync with the neighbourhood is another badge the typical McMansion wears with pride. Anyone in the market for one of these homes isn't going to worry too much about being the most expensive house on the block, in fact they seem to covet it. The one opposite us carried an initial price tag 3-4 times times that of the average bungalow on the street. A succession of high end chariots (7 series BMs, 600 Mercs) pulled up to take a look - we even saw Ken and Linda Lay look at it one Saturday afternoon. It took six months to move it and a slight drop in price but eventually someone bought it. Bizarrely, and bucking the McMansion trait trend, he does his own yardwork.

I think alot of you are either in denial or missing the full transition of what is taking place in the heights and many places closer into town. You use the word McMansion - disparagingly as if your small little house that looks the same as it did in 1910 is better than someones new house which does not look like your small little house. The way the transition is headed is intown - people are leaving the burbs in favor of a shorter drive. People used to want to live in the burbs because of lower crime, larger yards, and more amenetities. However - recently this has all changed - the new suburb trend is in favor of cheaper houses, smaller yards, and lots of traffic. Look at Pearland if you want a great example of Small yard - cookie cutter houses, tons of traffic, and similar crime to the city.

What all of you McMansion haters dont seem to realize is that the reason your little "bungalo" is going up in value is because of the larger new homes in the area, not in spite of them. There is an area of the heights (woodland heights) that is going up in value because its getting safer, people are taking care of their property, and many people want to downsize and still be close in - but the rest of the heights, the larger area - is going up BECAUSE of the new homes - Not in spite of them.

I personally think the larger homes look great - they at least attempted to retain some of the character of the area, by creating large porches, and elevating them up on pier/beam. Many are much more beautiful than the bungalows that are there or in many cases were there - in case you havent noticed alot of bungalos are just cookie cutter 1920's homes, 3 bed 1 bath homes. Almost none of the new homes are removing the large trees which keep the streets looking nice. The only time I think these new homes look terrible and out of place is when they subdivide a lot and cram them in - or build over a garage.

If they are on a full size lot - and are not one of the built over the garage homes - then I think they look fantastic for the most part. Look at the 1400 block of Tulane for an example of a great looking bunch of new builds interwined with some older homes. The bungalo revival on that block is an eye sore compared to the newer homes. I also personally feel that almost all the people who take the little bungalo and add a second story or try to make it bigger - usually ruin them. They look terrible from the street and its forever obvious what was done.

But I personally cant stand the term McMansion - Its a snobby term that people in the older smaller houses use to try to feel like that are somehow better than those who are in the bigger nicer houses - I think it cheapens a new home that is in all ways superior to the older home it replaced. I know for many people in the heights its an ego thing though - I drive a prius, I live in a small house, my footprint is small - and they are proud of that. Thats fine - but alot of people are not that way and its almost certainly going to become a minority voice in the Heights as the transition continues (with the exception of Woodland Heights)

I didn't bring up the value of my own house but since you did I'll speak to the issue. I personally don't lose much sleep over my appraised home value other than to smile wryly as it goes up by the maximum value each year per HCAD. My house is where I live, not an investment. For one thing, home values are relative and thanks to McMansions I can't afford to upgrade within my own neighborhood to a new home, say $100K more in price than my own. It's at least $300K, so forget it. Secondly my home is worth what someone pays for it so until that day comes its not worth worrying about unless I want a home equity loan, which I don't.

I can speak only for the three McMansions on my own block. The people who live in these houses don't embrace the culture of the neighborhood. We hang out regularly with neighbours on our porches and stoops and they are nowhere to be seen. Everyone has their right to privacy and live life the way they want to but to have the area developed in this way dissembles the very fabric that binds the community. I've no doubt you're right - in thirty years time everyone'll be pulling up to their McMansion and being swallowed up by a front loader garage. If you consider that progress, that's an interesting perspective. McMansions are as much of a blight on neighborhoods as townhomes are. I'll grant this particular one is making an effort to connect to the street with a front porch but the vast majority make no such effort. The porte cochere is a McMansion developers ploy to maximize the home's square footage that garage door setbacks, in neighbourhoods that enforce them, effectively curtail.

I personally like the term. It sums up as much a way of life, an attitude, as it does a physical structure.

I didn't bring up the value of my own house but since you did I'll speak to the issue. I personally don't lose much sleep over my appraised home value other than to smile wryly as it goes up by the maximum value each year per HCAD. My house is where I live, not an investment. For one thing, home values are relative and thanks to McMansions I can't afford to upgrade within my own neighborhood to a new home, say $100K more in price than my own. It's at least $300K, so forget it. Secondly my home is worth what someone pays for it so until that day comes its not worth worrying about unless I want a home equity loan, which I don't.

I can speak only for the three McMansions on my own block. The people who live in these houses don't embrace the culture of the neighborhood. We hang out regularly with neighbours on our porches and stoops and they are nowhere to be seen. Everyone has their right to privacy and live life the way they want to but to have the area developed in this way dissembles the very fabric that binds the community. I've no doubt you're right - in thirty years time everyone'll be pulling up to their McMansion and being swallowed up by a front loader garage. If you consider that progress, that's an interesting perspective. McMansions are as much of a blight on neighborhoods as townhomes are. I'll grant this particular one is making an effort to connect to the street with a front porch but the vast majority make no such effort. The porte cochere is a McMansion developers ploy to maximize the home's square footage that garage door setbacks, in neighbourhoods that enforce them, effectively curtail.

I personally like the term. It sums up as much a way of life, an attitude, as it does a physical structure.

I see virtually no - McMansions without a beautiful front porch its one of the single largest selling points on houses in the Heights. The porch is what makes a house in the heights nice. I will agree with you on the garage out front - its awful - its for the suburbs not the heights. I also hate the townhomes built in the heights. The heights is not an area for townhomes, but at the same time as I hate them I am 100% for the owner having the right to do with his land as he pleases, and not be dictated to how he uses his land by people who have no right to the land.

Here is a list of what Im sure you call McMansions - all with beautiful front porches and no front facing garage (unless behind a driveway) which is fine b/c at least 50% of the older homes have driveways.

1. http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...931&class=1

2. http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...509&class=1

3. http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...s=1&sType=0

4. http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...s=1&sType=0

These are examples of what I call progress. These homes are beautiful - whether or not they are well made, I cant attest to since most new homes are junk - but at a minimum they are attractive.

You say the term sums up an attitude....thats interesting because I have found that the people in the McMansions usually dont socialize with those in the smaller older homes, because those in the small old homes are snobs and do not welcome them into the neighborhood. They make snide comments about not liking the house on their street, or the cars that they drive - judging the person 100% based upon what they drive and where they live. Its usually not the people in the new homes who have the problem - its the ones who are still in the old homes who are ruining the atmosphere of the area by not being inclusive. That is certainly the atmosphere on my block. Though some of my neighbors are extremely resentful of me simply because I am young and can afford a house they cannot, and they are old. But jealously is always an ugly face to rear.

You may like the fact that your property value is going up - but many are extremely resentful of it. They are being priced out of a house they have owned for years. You yourself seem resentful that you cant go buy a bigger or nicer home than the one your in now based on the McMansions driving the prices up everywhere.

There are certainly alot of ugly new builds - but there are alot of beautiful ones too - and you seem to hate them all simply because they are new.

You may like the fact that your property value is going up -

Read my post again. I don't particularly care about my property value. It's completely out of my control as recent economic events have shown. My home is for living in, not speculating about what it might be worth.

The Heights might have its own slightly more palatable flavour of McMansion, but I don't live there so make no comment on it.

You can interpret my post any way you want, I have no control over that beyond stating my point of view and my experience. I detest the things and all they stand for. You don't. We know where each other stands.

I think you are both arguing the same point. When I think of McMansion, I think of the cookie cutter townhomish monsters that are built over thier garages, example being the ones off 14th inbetween Yale and Heights.

I like the ones you linked in there. The only issue I have with those is when a smaller salvagable home is destroyed in favor of building one of those (which is true in SOME but not all situations).

I also wouldn't jump to say that the reason my home might be going up in value is because of the large homes going in all around, I would say that it is mostly contributed to the changing of attitude for the majority of americans that are choosing to move into a smaller home that is better located in regards to work and play.

All this aside I like the new homes IF they are done correctly and more power to the people that buy them for being able to afford it. Hopefully with that extra 2-3 hours a day they are no longer spending in traffic they can slow down and come over and enjoy a nice "cold pop" on my front porch and talk about the going ons around the 'hood. If not, oh well, more for me!

Archived