What is with KHOU?

Fringe

As if it was not bad enough that KHOU has always interrupted TV shows to warn us of a rain cloud 100 miles away, why is it they feel compelled to advise us of the approaching digital conversion every 30 minutes during prime time? Am I the only person annoyed by this? Not only do they have to continuously run their disclaimer very slowly across the screen, they have to repeat it as if all their viewers have the reading skills and attention span of a 5 year old. I have to believe if anyone out there still isn’t aware of this coming transition than they are probably not even going to notice the blank screen in front of them after June 12.

Nothing to worry about, since you have AT&T UVERSE and a 50 inch plasma TV. :P

Yes you do when a storm comes or uverse goes out and you want to watch tv you'll be fumbling for the manual!! I said the same when IKE came my digital tv was all i had. 2 ladys at my job that know everything in the news from the night prior didn't know about digital tv. They were watching 11-0 analog that looked horrible. I said put it on 11.1 they froze when they saw how clear it was.

• 3 weeks later...
As if it was not bad enough that KHOU has always interrupted TV shows to warn us of a rain cloud 100 miles away, why is it they feel compelled to advise us of the approaching digital conversion every 30 minutes during prime time?

I don't know. I don't watch that channel.

Am I the only person annoyed by this? Not only do they have to continuously run their disclaimer very slowly across the screen, they have to repeat it as if all their viewers have the reading skills and attention span of a 9 year old.

Yes. They do have the attention span of a little kid. It's clearly evident in the quality of the programming. 98% mindless drivel. Look at the commercials, look at the news, look at the sitcoms, look at the shows...

I have to believe if anyone out there still isn

As if it was not bad enough that KHOU has always interrupted TV shows to warn us of a rain cloud 100 miles away, why is it they feel compelled to advise us of the approaching digital conversion every 30 minutes during prime time? Am I the only person annoyed by this? Not only do they have to continuously run their disclaimer very slowly across the screen, they have to repeat it as if all their viewers have the reading skills and attention span of a 5 year old. I have to believe if anyone out there still isn

I predict it will be delayed again. Somewhere around the end of this week, a certain Houston Congresswoman with a penchant for micro-managing every level of government in town will suddenly learn that millions of poor people who don't have cable, satellite, or a converter box will lose TV reception on June 12th.

This Congresswoman will call the FCC and demand that it delay the switch. She will then hold a news conference on Capital Hill to make her demand public, whereupon the FCC will bow to her will because she's on a House committee that's important to the FCC.

This is the same person who has forced FEMA to extend every deadline for getting Hurricane Katrina refugees off Houston's dole and out of housing paid for by FEMA. The result is thousands of Katrina refugees are still living on public assistance in Houston.

A year from now we will still be waiting for the switch to digital TV because a few million poor people can't afford converter boxes.

And that, my friends, is how you segue from a topic about KHOU to a Katrina refugee rant.

And that, my friends, is how you segue from a topic about KHOU to a Katrina refugee rant.

Sorry you took it that way, because that really was not my intention. I was just using the example of the Katrina refugees to illustrate this Congresswoman's history of having her way with just about everything that comes along, including the switch to digital TV. She's the one who got the first delay several months back.

And yes I know this thread started out talking about KHOU, but Digital TV came up somewhere in there. Conversations do have a way of drifting off topic, don't they?

Please accept my apologies for contributing to the drift.

I think Red was just messing with you FilioScotia... not the first time I've seen him do that. I'm on to you RedScare!

I don't watch KHOU much except flipping through on bad weather days. I do know Fox 26 mentions the changeover date quite often as well, during commercials and rarely with a ticker scrolling across the bottom of the screen during some programs.

But, to the sub-topic of the original topic at hand: IF they delay it again, they may as well forget it. Feels like this is a nation where you can get whatever you want stopped or delayed if you complain enough. Another delay will just lead to another for the same reasons.

I didn't understand the first delay... if you're too poor to get a digital converter box, then you're pretty bad off. I think the big deal was running out of coupons for converter boxes and it not being "fair" to those who were not able to get any. You know... got to keep it fair for those who wait till the last minute.

Anything people need they will find the money for... if you need to get your car fixed, you will find the money, if you need to pay your mortgage you will find the money... and if you need a box to keep your TV you will find the money to get it. But TV is a luxury item anyways. Its not needed to survive. E-mail and internet access however is and that's why they need those frequencies for Super Wi-fi!!

I didn't understand the first delay... if you're too poor to get a digital converter box, then you're pretty bad off. I think the big deal was running out of coupons for converter boxes and it not being "fair" to those who were not able to get any. You know... got to keep it fair for those who wait till the last minute.

Anything people need they will find the money for... if you need to get your car fixed, you will find the money, if you need to pay your mortgage you will find the money... and if you need a box to keep your TV you will find the money to get it. But TV is a luxury item anyways. Its not needed to survive. E-mail and internet access however is and that's why they need those frequencies for Super Wi-fi!!

I agree, the delay drove me a little crazy to, but I don't think that they will push back the date as there is just too much riding in it for stations running transmitters in both formats.

Additionally, knowing people that are pretty damned poor; I can attest that the standard of living that they are eeking out is far higher than being poor in most, if not all, nations.

As one Radio head I follow once said, "Being poor in America is far better than being poor somewhere else."

Archived